Author Topic: What do you want to see most from Rawlings regarding gamestyle?  (Read 6544 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: What do you want to see most from Rawlings regarding gamestyle?
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2009, 06:17:35 AM »
We still went back into old bad habits in the 2nd and 3rd quarters (basic disposals errors, stopped running as a team, and too much stagnate short kick and mark play coming out of the backline) but I thought our entries from the midfield into our forward line looked better last night even with our lack of genuine tall key forward targets. At least we tried kicking to the right and most dangerous spots most of the night and to the advantage side of our forwards. Granted there was little midfield pressure from the Eagles but our first quarter passing inside 50 was faultless  :o. We still didn't get it inside 50 enough after quarter time (we had 8 less forward entries all up) but you can't solve all our deficiencies in one week. I could be wrong but I thought I saw some shepherding out there last night too lol although still not enough. At least the cubs took the game on for most of the night.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Jackstar is back

« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2009, 10:03:28 AM »
one thing.
Get as many players forward of the ball as possible.
Roll the dice.
Will spew if I see 16 players sitting in D 50 behind the ball like in the 3rd quarter last night, that teaches them NOTHING

well done jade.
On most occassions when we went forward, we had players inside F 50, :thumbsup

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2009, 10:25:20 AM »
I thought we started brilliantly in the first quarter, but that had just as much to do with the Eagles playing like witches hats
The win was pretty unconvincing really, we managed to scrape a win against a side that should be renamed the West Coast Shermans
I suggest the result would have been the same with Wallace in charge

The next 4 weeks will be pretty telling

Jackstar is back

« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2009, 11:05:04 AM »
I thought we started brilliantly in the first quarter, but that had just as much to do with the Eagles playing like witches hats
The win was pretty unconvincing really, we managed to scrape a win against a side that should be renamed the West Coast Shermans

Do you actually go and watch games of football  ::)
The style and game plan was totally different.
Unconvincing win :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2009, 11:47:06 AM »

I'm with you on this one Jack.  I thought 2 things stood out:

1.  Our attitude to working for our teammates (including pressuring the opposition), and
2.  Our go-forward gameplan (or rather lack of go-back).

Yes, we still made mistakes and we still reverted to go-back a few times but to me these 2 changes were glaringly obvious.  I really don't give a rat's if we lose every game for the rest of the season as long as we make or attempt these type of culture shifts.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2009, 12:20:14 PM »

You're telling me that a 2 goal win over a team who hasn't won away from Subiaco for 16 games is impressive?
Our first quarter was impressive, the win wasn't

As I said in my previous post, the real test will be the next 4 weeks, as we will not be playing a team that's tanking. Just being competitive against the Saints will be a start.

Jackstar is back

« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2009, 02:02:19 PM »

You're telling me that a 2 goal win over a team who hasn't won away from Subiaco for 16 games is impressive?
Our first quarter was impressive, the win wasn't

As I said in my previous post, the real test will be the next 4 weeks, as we will not be playing a team that's tanking. Just being competitive against the Saints will be a start.

Read the topic titile.
The was a big difference last night, Or didnt you go. ::)
Always players inside F 50, thus we didnt kick short and go sideways

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2009, 02:08:44 PM »
definately more focus on workrate and defensive pressure, and that started at selection on THURS night :clapping
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2009, 02:09:36 PM »

It might not have been convincing but in a Wallace coached side it had "Eagles to run over the top and get a win" written all over it.  But instead of dropping our heads we fought for the victory.  And got it.  Ugly or not, we got it.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2009, 02:37:10 PM »

Fair call....Richmond averaged 31 disposals per goal last night which was what we did under Wallace.
Unleash the tornado

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2009, 02:44:16 PM »

It might not have been convincing but in a Wallace coached side it had "Eagles to run over the top and get a win" written all over it.  But instead of dropping our heads we fought for the victory.  And got it.  Ugly or not, we got it.
You mean like our win against Freo?

Sorry I just don't think last night showed much more than the usual 1st game for replacement coach win. We didn't beat much and we still didn't play a full 4 quarters of quality football. I don't expect miracles, I also don't think we should get ahead of ourselves either. The usual suspects would be happy with anything to do with Wallace not coaching any more, so of course they are going to be going on like its the 2nd coming.

If we play like we did in the 1st quarter for the rest of the season then great, however the same thing was said in regards to quarters of football under Wallace too.

I was more impressed with Rawlings changes during the week than the actual game. Credit where credit is due, he won the game with predominantly a team of kids. I'm by no means writing him off, just trying to keep things in perspective.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2009, 03:27:54 PM »

Sorry I just don't think last night showed much more than the usual 1st game for replacement coach win. We didn't beat much and we still didn't play a full 4 quarters of quality football. I don't expect miracles, I also don't think we should get ahead of ourselves either. The usual suspects would be happy with anything to do with Wallace not coaching any more, so of course they are going to be going on like its the 2nd coming.

If we play like we did in the 1st quarter for the rest of the season then great, however the same thing was said in regards to quarters of football under Wallace too.

I was more impressed with Rawlings changes during the week than the actual game. Credit where credit is due, he won the game with predominantly a team of kids. I'm by no means writing him off, just trying to keep things in perspective.

one thing about Rawlings i ntoiced every time a player made an error. Immediately dragged. Nahas, Jack and Edwards are 3 players who were dragged straight away after insipid efforts.

I love that stuff.....something wallet rarely did till it was too late.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2009, 04:09:26 PM »

If you would like to pick that one outlier out of the group of Essendon, Geelong, Brisbane, Port Adelaide and Sydney capitulations when a team made a run, yeah why not.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2009, 04:15:21 PM »

my sentiments exactly :thumbsup
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2009, 08:56:24 PM »
We were sitting there last night and a couple of commented after the 1st qtr "gee we played like Coburg", Another friend said who never watches Coburg "I like it"  :thumbsup

yeah we still stuffed things up but gee it was great to see some competitive spirit, attacks on the football by the majority as oppsed to the minority, defensvie pressure over all parts of the ground (especially fwd) and no dropping of heads when things got tough.

It was a different mind set, a different game style (much simpler) - we switched play when we needed to and then went long and direct to the forward line with multiple options presenting ....

Certainly it was only the Eagles but a win, playing an attractive brand of footy with a team of kids is something to be happy about

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)