Author Topic: Ken Hinkley  (Read 6394 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Ken Hinkley
« on: June 06, 2009, 10:49:57 PM »
Ch 10's Fifth Quarter said Geelong is heavily pushing Hinkley's name forward into the public eye as the next best available to become a senior coach. They're saying things like if something happened to Thompson, Hinkley could easily step in and the Cats wouldn't miss a beat.

Geelong Cats coach Mark Thompson backs assistant Ken Hinkley as a future senior coach
Michael Auciello
June 5th, 2009

GEELONG coach Mark Thompson has again backed assistant Ken Hinkley to pursue a senior coaching job next year.

Hinkley's name has been thrown among the lengthy list of possible candidates to replace Terry Wallace at Richmond in 2010.
Have your say on the feedback form below

"We think he's ready to coach. We don't want to push him out the door but we'll certainly support him in his endeavours to further his career," Thompson said yesterday.

"Not that he's going to go out and sell himself, and we're not going to sell him openly, but we think he's ready and, at the end of the year, if he goes through the process and he's part of it, we'll support him."

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2009/06/05/75845_gfc.html

Hellenic Tiger

Re: Ken Hinkley
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 11:42:35 PM »
I just get the feeling that clubs secretly would not want to be "that keen" to lose people and thus would freely bandy names around. Wasn't Thompson of the idea in 99 he did not want to touch us yet one of his assistants is suddenly good enough for us? Smells fishy.

Its a syndrome called keep them at or near the bottom with no success whatsoever itis. Everybody needs someone thay can ridicule, step on, pick on, disgrace and embarass from time to time. Geelong have done it for ages despite embarassing Grand Final defeats. See it works for them. I'm sure other clubs feel the same.

Tigers stay true to your thorough process and relentlessly pursue Hardwick and Buckley till you get your man.

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 09:09:19 AM »
Lol, yeah, because Hinkley isn't rated by anyone but Thompson as a senior coach that's ready to step up.  ::)
The man has talent and we must look at him beside Buckley, Hardwick and about 5 others to make sure we get the right one.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Ken Hinkley puts his hand up to coach
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 12:56:40 AM »
Hinkley puts his hand up
afl.com.au
By Ben Broad Sat 20 June, 2009

GEELONG assistant Ken Hinkley has for the first time publicly thrown his hat into the ring to become an AFL coach.

The quietly-spoken Hinkley, who has revamped Geelong's forward line during the club's current dominant run, has been mooted as a potential senior coach in recent weeks.

While being pumped up by others at Skilled Stadium, the man himself is rarely heard from in media circles.

Now, with two senior positions now vacant at Richmond at North Melbourne, Hinkley has indicated he might be ready to make the step up from assistant to the man in charge come game day.

"Like any assistant coach in the system, you'd have interests in those sorts of jobs, because that's why you start out in the (coaching) game," Hinkley told The Geelong Advertiser.

"My stance on it all is, as an assistant coach, you always have interests in those opportunities, if they come about.

"But predominantly my role and my job this year is all about doing a great job for the Geelong footy club and hopefully getting us an opportunity to participate late into the finals again."

Hinkley played 132 AFL matches, including 11 for Fitzroy, but it was as an exciting, often-spectacular half-back flanker that he made his name at Geelong. He was a dual All-Australian in his time at the Cats.

Since his playing days he has been an assistant to Mark Thompson for more than five seasons, and was also part of Malcolm Blight's ill-fated coaching team at St Kilda in 2001.

However he has been in charge of his own teams before, having coached premiership teams at Camperdown (in the Hampden Football League) and Bell Park (in the Geelong Football League.

Last month, Cats senior coach Thompson endorsed Hinkley for a senior role when he told afl.com.au his right-hand man was capable of becoming a League coach.

"If he's not Geelong's next coach, and he happens to get a job somewhere else, well, I think he's more than ready," Thompson said.

"I certainly don't want to lose him, but I understand that he deserves to be a senior coach."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/79090/default.aspx

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 10:50:33 AM »
I just get the feeling that clubs secretly would not want to be "that keen" to lose people and thus would freely bandy names around. Wasn't Thompson of the idea in 99 he did not want to touch us yet one of his assistants is suddenly good enough for us? Smells fishy.

Its a syndrome called keep them at or near the bottom with no success whatsoever itis. Everybody needs someone thay can ridicule, step on, pick on, disgrace and embarass from time to time. Geelong have done it for ages despite embarassing Grand Final defeats. See it works for them. I'm sure other clubs feel the same.

Tigers stay true to your thorough process and relentlessly pursue Hardwick and Buckley till you get your man.

Conversely, if Hinkley was no good then I don't think Thompson would still have him there as an assistant.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 08:33:18 PM »
Hinkley would be my number one choice looking from the outside. Has the most runs on the board and experience building a list. The fact he is the Geelong midfield coach, coached sides to premierships himself, has the respect of the team all bodes well as far as I'm concerned.

If we can get one of Hinkley, Hardwick and Buckley I will be pleased. Picking from best regardless.

Stripes

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Cats won't ditch Hinkley if Tigers pounce (afl site)
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 06:50:01 PM »
Cats won't ditch Hinkley if Tigers pounce
afl.com.au
By Mic Cullen 4:37 PM Tue 18 August, 2009

GEELONG says it would defy standard procedure and ask assistant coach Ken Hinkley to stay on through September even if he accepts the position as the senior coach at Richmond.

The Tigers job, which is expected to be announced next week, has Hinkley as one of the front runners, with Damien Hardwick, Alan Richardson and Jade Rawlings making up the final four.

Collingwood assistant coach Brad Scott secured the top job at North Melbourne on Monday afternoon, and was told by the Magpies within a couple of hours that, much as they loved him, his services were no longer required at the Lexus Centre.

As in business, it is now standard practice in football to exclude soon-to-be-ex-employees from the workplace in order to protect the intellectual property of the organisation.

Port Adelaide did that with Alastair Clarkson as they headed into the finals – and a flag – in 2004 when he snared the top job at the Hawks, and Carlton star Chris Judd also found out how quickly clubs move to protect themselves – when he arrived at Subiaco Oval for his media conference to announce that he was heading to the Blues, he found that his electronic access tab to get into the clubrooms had been disabled.

But Cats coach Mark Thompson said he hoped that Hinkley would both get the job and also stay on through the finals campaign.

"From all the rumours and reports, he's down to the last two or three, so if Kenny was lucky enough to get the job, we'd be very happy for him to stay here," Thompson said from Skilled Stadium on Tuesday afternoon.

"We'd want him to stay here and finish off what he's done – he's a big part of what we do here, and if he was to leave, it would leave a massive hole and we don't want that, we want our team working as a group for as long as we last."

Earlier this year, Thompson told geelongcats.com.au exclusively – before succession plans became flavour of the month – that Hinkley could be the man to replace him at Geelong, but he admitted that he expected some other team would snap him up before that happens.

"If he's not Geelong's next coach, and he happens to get a job somewhere else, well, I think he's more than ready," Thompson said.

"I certainly don't want to lose him, but I understand that he deserves to be a senior coach."

Hinkley was an obvious candidate once senior jobs began to pop up late in the season – as a player he racked up 121 games for Geelong between 1989 and 1996, won the club's 1992 best and fairest, was All-Australian twice, was co-captain in 1995, and played in three losing grand finals, and since then, the 42-year-old has taken teams in the Hampden and Geelong leagues to flags and been an assistant at St Kilda before lobbing back at the Cats in 2005.

"Experience and talent," was Thompson's response when asked what a team would get if they took Hinkley into the top football job.

"Tactically he's very good – he's brilliant in the box on matchdays, and he's a very positive coach.

"He's been at St Kilda, he's coached his own teams and won premierships, and then he's been here for four or five years and he's really been a big part of this program and getting the place to where it is."

Thompson said Hinkley had the required attributes to thrive in the top job, and is more than happy to say so publicly, despite the potential loss of a significant team member and mate.

"He's very personable, he's got a great personality and he's a bit of a prankster with a great sense of humour.

"But at the same time, he can be really strong and have the hard conversations, but do it in a way that's not offensive.

"We love working together, and we're good friends, and you should look after your friends."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/82995/default.aspx

Offline gtig

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 09:23:03 PM »
i don't know how we can look past this bloke. maybe thompson is pumping up his tyres a bit, but we could basically have a guy walk out of the g straight after getting geelong to another flag, or very close to, and walking straight into punt road, ready for action. thompson keeping him on during the finals series is a bonus for us if we pick him up.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 09:33:14 PM »
i don't know how we can look past this bloke. maybe thompson is pumping up his tyres a bit, but we could basically have a guy walk out of the g straight after getting geelong to another flag, or very close to, and walking straight into punt road, ready for action. thompson keeping him on during the finals series is a bonus for us if we pick him up.

That's how I read it too gtig - I didn't see anything negative in this article.  I especially liked the values that Thomson puts out there for his 'team' - something about loyalty and trust.  Gee,  I think I watched a side on Saturday that could use a lesson or two in that.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 02:16:44 PM »
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 04:04:30 PM »
Well that speech silences any remarks that he's too calm.

Great address. They were 30 points down at 3qtr time and came back and won the GF by 3 goals.

Think he'll do a good job with a bit of luck and the right people around him.
Go Tigers!

Ramps

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 04:05:43 PM »
Very good stuff from Hinkley in the video. I imagine he can give a good spray as well. Going up in my estimations now.  :gotigers

Offline crannyvegas

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 04:52:09 PM »
man of passion & intelligence! you cant judge a person on a short video but geee i felt fired up after that!! if it is between him and hardwick i'll be happy either way!
Detka! Detka! Detka!

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 05:07:30 PM »
#%$^! I feel like running out and tearing a few opposition players a new hole and I'm not even playing! That was impressive and shows he is a good coach.

I was tending to Harwick because of his hardness but Hinkley shows he has the balls to go with his brains. My new first choice.

Stripes

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 05:12:52 PM »
To be fair its a pretty standard rev up. Hardly Chuchillian stuff but good to see he's not the lame duck people have been suggesting.