Author Topic: Draft teaser  (Read 3901 times)

Offline H Tiger

• Premiership Captain
  • Tigers the biggest hunter
Draft teaser
« on: October 12, 2004, 06:40:31 PM »
The general feeling seems to be that we will pick Deledio No1...... then we take Franklin or Roughead 4. I think the latter......

But what if Franklin/Roughead goes earlier? do we go for a the next kkp at 4 (as we do need one) or take Griffen/Trambling?

Best availible or kkp?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Draft teaser
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 06:49:33 PM »
The other dilemma is will we pick a ruckman at #4 because Wood, Deluca and Meesen may nto be around at pick 12?

IMO with 5 picks in the top 20 we should definitely follow "best available". If we got both Deledio and Griffen with picks 1 and 4, I'd reckon we'd be more than happy.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline disco08

• Tiger Rookie
  • They're real, and they're spectacular
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 07:12:57 PM »
HT, I'd definitely say best available. Ideally I'd like to see Deledio/Griffen at 1 and Roughead at 4. Hopefully 12 can get us Monfries, Eckermann or Lewis, and 16 a KPP or ruckman.

If Franklin and Roughead are gone by 4, we'd most likely have a choice between Griffen and Tambling at 4, which is still a good situation. We could then use 12 to get Willits, Kirkby or Grundy.

Bulluss

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 08:04:10 PM »
i believe that if Tambling is still around at 4 he will definately be in the tigers colours

Wallace really likes him

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 10:45:33 AM »
It's pretty simple for us.

Deledio at 1, then whoever is left from Tambling Griffen and Franklin at 4.  (Hope its Griffen).  By all accounts Roughead isn't in the same class as these 3.

If we get 2 on-ballers with 1 and 4, we then go for a KPP at 12 or 16 (Willets, Kirkby, Grundy).  We then go for a ruck at 20(Meesen, Maric).  Do not recruit a ruckman before 20 as they are very hit and miss and are not as valuable as a top on-baller or CHF.  When's the last time an all aust ruckman was a premiership player in the same year ?  never.  Ruckmen are overated.  We've got Simmonds, Hall and Stafford.  We just recruit 1 with a late pick.

Unless we get McIntosh in the PSD.  If we do then don't worry about another ruckman - probably only rookie list one.

No way should we draft Wood at 4.  This would be suicidal.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2004, 10:47:37 AM by Harry Hedgehog »
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline Disco

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 11:27:43 AM »
Spot on HH, cant see the point in going for a ruckman early.

Lets get the draft over and done with, lm sure the season ahead will have some pleasant surprises install for all at Tigerland! :thumbsup

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2004, 12:36:10 PM »
after watching 5 years of the worst and slowest football ever.....I think we have to get Tambling.....its an absolute must.
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2004, 03:34:48 PM »
Although we could do with a couple of guys with pace, IMHO the main reason for us being so slow was us zig-zagging all over the place over-possessing the footy and stop-starting with every mark or free kick. If there's one area we can improve on without needing to worry about adding skill or speed is for Wallace to drill into our blokes to hurry up moving the ball and don't take ten years to get back behind the mark allowing our free players to be manned up..

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2004, 03:49:02 PM »
Although we could do with a couple of guys with pace, IMHO the main reason for us being so slow was us zig-zagging all over the place over-possessing the footy and stop-starting with every mark or free kick. If there's one area we can improve on without needing to worry about adding skill or speed is for Wallace to drill into our blokes to hurry up moving the ball and don't take ten years to get back behind the mark allowing our free players to be manned up..

Moving the ball hurriedly is a great ploy to use when you are confident that your players can win contested one on one situations. Sadly we lack the confidence and the players to be able to do that.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2004, 04:37:57 PM »
IMHO the main reason for us being so slow was us zig-zagging all over the place over-possessing the footy and stop-starting with every mark or free kick.

Now that's what I call a game plan  :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin...er...........................NOT ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2004, 03:21:02 AM »
Moving the ball hurriedly is a great ploy to use when you are confident that your players can win contested one on one situations. Sadly we lack the confidence and the players to be able to do that.

Lacked confidence in the coaching staff as well  :thumbsup

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2004, 03:46:25 PM »

How true is that?  Developing confidence in the players will make a significant difference.  And, if we’re on the right track, with the players we are recruiting now and the new Coach, then we should notice a real difference in this area over time.

I remember some of the best passages of play we had late in the season (not that there were many to remember  :P) involved the younger players within the team.  Whereas the more experienced players had a tendency to hold up the play, as MT described, causing major frustration and anger in the stands (and especially in the seat I was sitting in). :P

« Last Edit: October 14, 2004, 03:47:58 PM by Tiger Spirit »
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2004, 05:39:32 PM »
1 Deledio
4 Franklin/Tambling
12 Meeson
16 Lewis
20 God Knows :lol
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2004, 06:00:40 PM »
1 Deledio
4 Franklin/Tambling
12 Meeson
16 Lewis

Would be very happy if that happened on draft day.

20 God Knows :lol

Is he any good RR?  :lol

Pick up his brother Who as well  ;D
« Last Edit: October 14, 2004, 06:03:08 PM by mightytiges »

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2004, 11:27:08 AM »
There is a strong chance that Meesen will be available at 12.  But I don't beleive that Lewis will be there at 16.  I'd like to see us get 3 quality on-ballers at 1,4 and 12 (Deledio, Griffen and Lewis would be great) then go for KPP and ruckmen with the later picks.

Get your midfield right first.  A good midfield can make ordinary rucks and KPP look good, even great.  The opposite cannot be said. 
« Last Edit: October 15, 2004, 11:30:34 AM by Harry Hedgehog »
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?