Author Topic: Fiora blames his failure on not being allowed to play in one set position  (Read 3698 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Fiora trades dismay for new ambition
October 21, 2004

St Kilda recruit Aaron Fiora is the first to admit he has not lived up to the expectations of those around him. Worst of all, he has not gone close to living up to his own.

Selected by Richmond at No. 3 overall in the 1999 national draft, the weight of expectation has rested rather heavily on Fiora's slender shoulders, and his lack of consistency was high on the list of reasons the Tigers saw him as disposable in the recent trade period to secure the services of Fremantle's Troy Simmonds in a three-way deal with the Saints.

"I don't think I have developed the way I wanted to," the 23-year-old said.

"I think I have got more to offer. I would have liked to have been a lot more consistent really, I just haven't been consistent in any year really. Yeah, it's disappointed me a lot actually."

While he admits many of his problems stemmed from his own frustration at being required to fill holes rather than being allowed to develop his own game and confidence in any given area, Fiora thinks a more settled position would have been more productive.

"You get injuries and stuff and they need something else up forward, or needed something else down deep in defence and I was sort of the guy who could do that a little bit," he said.

"And so I was sort of used as that and I got a little bit frustrated that I wasn't always playing in the one spot and doing my job.

"It was a bit mental, I suppose, I didn't cope with it very well and it affected my footy. I know you have to play all areas in footy, but I suppose I just wanted to get a bit settled."

Another thing Fiora found at Richmond was an unwritten hierarchy amongst the players that did not allow the younger players to challenge more senior players, even though he said the coaching staff encouraged them to do so.

"There was always encouragement for the young guys to voice up if they had something to say, but I think it was more a lot of the young guys at Richmond were aware of where their place was at, they felt like they hadn't been there long enough to have their say, that they didn't have the authority to say things - so they wouldn't," he said.

"So even though there was encouragement for it, the younger guys felt they hadn't been there long enough or it wasn't their place to have a go at someone for something, especially the older players. It should have happened, but it didn't, and I suppose that makes it harder for younger guys to mature."

Fiora is unlikely to have such problems at St Kilda, where coach Grant Thomas expects all players to take responsibility for the performance of teammates.

Not that the former Port Adelaide Magpies player will be expecting to waltz straight into a line-up that many see as being on the verge of a Brisbane-like dynasty at the top of the AFL ladder.

"It is going to be a big challenge just to get into the team because they are such a good team and I think they are pretty settled from last year, so it will be a tough one to crack," Fiora said. "But that's why I have come over as well; it's a good challenge and hopefully it works out.

"It's a whole new start and to try to get a bit of respect off the coaches and the players first of all. Yeah, it feels like I have been drafted all over again."

http://realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/10/20/1097951772544.html
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
If while coming out of the backline under no pressure you continually fail to hit a teammate on a lead with the footy then it doesn't matter whether you've played in a settled position on the field or not.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
Fiora has played the one position his whole career, on all fours!

froars

He was lucky that we were so bad he got a game, let alone commanding a set position  :rollin

Offline H Tiger

• Premiership Captain
  • Tigers the biggest hunter
Worst of all, he has not gone close to living up to his own.  No worst of all he did not go close to living up to RFC's

"I don't think I have developed"  ........ER DER

"I think I have got more to offer. I would have liked to have been a lot more consistent really,I just haven't been consistent in any year really. Yeah, it's disappointed me a lot actually."........ER DER

"I wasn't always playing in the one spot and doing my job."

"It was a bit mental, I suppose, I didn't cope with it very well and it affected my footy. I know you have to play all areas in footy, but I suppose I just wanted to get a bit settled."  Yes you do Aaron

Another thing Fiora found at Richmond was an unwritten hierarchy amongst the players that did not allow the younger players to challenge more senior players, even though he said the coaching staff encouraged them to do so.  What a pussy

"There was always encouragement for the young guys to voice up if they had something to say, but I think it was more a lot of the young guys at Richmond were aware of where their place was at, they felt like they hadn't been there long enough to have their say, that they didn't have the authority to say things - so they wouldn't," he said.

"So even though there was encouragement for it, the younger guys felt they hadn't been there long enough or it wasn't their place to have a go at someone for something, especially the older players. It should have happened, but it didn't, and I suppose that makes it harder for younger guys to mature."Little Aaron's not mature (just look at his massive arms!)

Fiora is unlikely to have such problems at St Kilda,
where coach Grant Thomas expects all players to take responsibility for the performance of teammates.....wanna bet?

Not that the former Port Adelaide Magpies player will be expecting to waltz straight into a line-up that many see as being on the verge of a Brisbane-like dynasty at the top of the AFL ladder.

"It is going to be a big challenge just to get into the team because they are such a good team and I think they are pretty settled from last year, so it will be a tough one to crack," Fiora said. "But that's why I have come over as well; it's a good challenge and hopefully it works out.....I don't

"It's a whole new start and to try to get a bit of respect off the coaches and the players first of all. Yeah, it feels like I have been drafted all over again."

http://realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/10/20/1097951772544.html

I really am disliking this guy now. Has he got a mate at the age, or what?

Aaron just shut up! you were rubbish at Richmond and it wasn't anybody elses fault but your own.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
While he admits many of his problems stemmed from his own frustration at being required to fill holes rather than being allowed to develop his own game and confidence in any given area, Fiora thinks a more settled position would have been more productive.

"You get injuries and stuff and they need something else up forward, or needed something else down deep in defence and I was sort of the guy who could do that a little bit," he said.

"And so I was sort of used as that and I got a little bit frustrated that I wasn't always playing in the one spot and doing my job.

Your job was to play football for the RFC and play in what ever position that you were needed.

Excuses excuses >:(

Give me a break

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline tigers80

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
"his slender shoulders"  sounds like the reporter is describing a male model ...

poor old miss fiona hope you deal with the weight of expectation at the saints in the next year or so.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
"It was a bit mental, I suppose, I didn't cope with it very well and it affected my footy. I know you have to play all areas in footy, but I suppose I just wanted to get a bit settled."

Another thing Fiora found at Richmond was an unwritten hierarchy amongst the players that did not allow the younger players to challenge more senior players, even though he said the coaching staff encouraged them to do so.

"So even though there was encouragement for it, the younger guys felt they hadn't been there long enough or it wasn't their place to have a go at someone for something, especially the older players. It should have happened, but it didn't, and I suppose that makes it harder for younger guys to mature."

Even if there is some sort of separation line within the playing group, I don’t think that alone explains the lack of development of players.  All it really tells us, if anything, is that the confidence levels of the players and the type of players we’ve recruited in the past leaves a lot to be desired.

And if what Aaron said has been the attitude of the other young players, and probably others, then is it any wonder we’re bottom of the heap, when players don’t even have the confidence in themselves to speak up when they know they should.

Without having seen much of them really, you can already tell the difference between the young players drafted last year, compared to previous years.  And if they live up to expectations, we should notice the difference out on the field over the next few years. :thumbsup
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Ox

I'm one of Apron Fionas biggest foes BUT i find it interesting,almost explanatory that he would say:

their is an unwritten hierarchy amongst the players that did not allow the younger players to challenge more senior players.

This has ben the case since the early 90s when the likes of Bullus,Campo,Richo,Daffy and co strutted their page boy hair cuts by day and lived out rock n roll fantasies at night by playing in a band.

I believe Aprons story mainly because its what i thought was going on.

It was the era of the players running the club.
When Frawley came he did nothing about it.....he just wanted to be mates with the guys at the top of the list.
(i cant write anythng without blaming spud somehow)

Offline H Tiger

• Premiership Captain
  • Tigers the biggest hunter
Ox

I am very worried by our recruiting if we draft kids who don't have enough front to speak up in front of senior players. Fine, any young kid will be a bit quiet till he has earned respect, but I am sure most of our young players (i.e. Cogs or Newman) don't have a problem speaking up.

The reason for this is that, they can play, Fiona the whinger can't. If you feel you have respect then you arn't shy on any topic you feel strongly about.

Well all I can say is"P*#s Off Fiona you are a clown".

HT

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Fiora blames his failure on not being allowed to play in one set position
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2004, 12:58:11 PM »

This has ben the case since the early 90s when the likes of Bullus,Campo,Richo,Daffy and co strutted their page boy hair cuts by day and lived out rock n roll fantasies at night by playing in a band.

Ox,

I know you are being serious but :rollin :rollin.... just the picture of them jamming singing "Eye of the Tiger" cracks me up :thumbsup

I am very worried by our recruiting if we draft kids who don't have enough front to speak up in front of senior players. Fine, any young kid will be a bit quiet till he has earned respect, but I am sure most of our young players (i.e. Cogs or Newman) don't have a problem speaking up.

I think you maybe right HT, Brent Hartigan is one who springs to mind - a natural leader who calls a spade spade, I reckon he'd speak up :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2004, 12:59:13 PM »
I'm one of Apron Fionas biggest foes BUT i find it interesting,almost explanatory that he would say:

their is an unwritten hierarchy amongst the players that did not allow the younger players to challenge more senior players.

I believe Aprons story mainly because its what i thought was going on.

It was the era of the players running the club.
When Frawley came he did nothing about it.....he just wanted to be mates with the guys at the top of the list.

I agree with that Ox, as I’ve thought the same thing for a number of years.

And you’re right, nothing was done about it.  But I think we’ll see a difference by the type of players we now draft, not to mention a different coaching style.

If you look at a number of the players we recruited the last few years (just don’t think too hard about it, it’ll send you nuts  :P), many of them were fringe players, or on the outer, at the Clubs they were previously at.  And you wondered how some of them got on an AFL list.

Not a good way to develop any list with neverwillbes and neverwases whose attitude probably isn’t/wasn’t where it should be.

By recruiting young players who have been leaders and/or have had success in their junior football days, and with the right attitude, then we can start to see a more positive environment develop.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2004, 04:06:38 PM »
Agree totally Ox.

I've been of the opinion that the RFC have had this inner sanctum mentality which has been fuelled by the coaches we have had.  It has always amazed me how these inner sanctum members never got dropped after shocking performances, and kids or fringe players were always the scape goats.

Keep blaming spud Ox, because he has been responsible for escalating this mentality amongst the playing group.  Fiora makes some valid points IMO.

Hopefully Terry can give the players some serious therapy.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Ox

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2004, 04:08:48 PM »
Okay.

So some are saying that the kids that didn't have the balls to speak out are not prime candidates for future leaders.

Totally agree BUT by the same token it's no way for a leadership group to operate.
Sounds more like a combination of insecuritiies and ego's stemming from the senior core
who aren't good enuff themselves.
Typical "Ol' boy's" mentality.
Dont let anyone with a difefrent opinion into the circle for fear of confrontation and eventually annihilation.
(sounds like...hmmmmmmm)
Anyone on the list since 96/7 is affected
Thank Geez the cancer has been detected and kimo is being applied.

I dont expect Apron to reach any higher level now that he is at st'kilda for the same reason all of u dont.
He has a pea-heart in the eye of the storrm

Ox

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2004, 04:11:27 PM »
LMAOO Harry.

I blame spud for the hole in the ozone.