Author Topic: And then there were 5 + 1 for the Job  (Read 8330 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: And then there were 5 + 1 for the Job
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2009, 01:02:47 PM »
Greg Denham said this morning that Hardwicks and Hinkleys first presentations were outstanding ;D

Denham also stated that what Richmond really needed in a coach was a winner. And his candidate for the mighty tiggers

Damien Hardwick  :thumbsup

Smart man is Denham  :D

Sorry Ramps, with Denham's support Hardwick is doomed  :rollin

If you don't tell us your preference WP I'm going to have to start calling you Thorpie  :lol

that's like totally sick Jake  :lol
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Ramps

« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2009, 01:21:08 PM »
The supporters want Hardwick. I think thats pretty apparent now. Its only a small minority that want Rawlings. Once again these supporters are being sucked in by the Gieschen effect.

Richmond must go with the Premiership experience and that is Damien Hardwick.

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2009, 01:47:13 PM »
The supporters want Hardwick. I think thats pretty apparent now. Its only a small minority that want Rawlings. Once again these supporters are being sucked in by the Gieschen effect.

Disagree ramps! I think it is the anti rawlings camp that is getting sucked in by the geishen effect. How long does it take for a caretaker coach to shake the geishen effect? I would hate to see the process effected by the geishen effect and not allow us to chose the right man even though he is the best due solely to one caretaker coach from the late 90's.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2009, 02:03:04 PM »

Disagree ramps! I think it is the anti rawlings camp that is getting sucked in by the geishen effect. How long does it take for a caretaker coach to shake the geishen effect? I would hate to see the process effected by the geishen effect and not allow us to chose the right man even though he is the best due solely to one caretaker coach from the late 90's.

no it is you who is wrong amigo.

The Facts are.

a draw against North
a lucky win against a TANKING demons
a lucky win against the Bombers, another team outside the top 8
a win "HOME" against the hapless Eagles.

a loss against the Saints which they showed no spirit whatsoever.

has the skill level improved under Rawlings. No!! Our skill level is still terrible. FACT!!!

we need much more than Jade has to offer. Nice guy but nice guys dont win flags...

The only reason why it seems some players are responding to him is because their future is on the line. They are still crap players and we still have too many players with bad disposal that will not win us a flag.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online Go Richo 12

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2009, 02:12:09 PM »
Well its settled! Never again should any club ever hire a caretaker coach again! It is doomed to fail as Richmond once hired a man by the name of Jeff Gieschen and he just managed to have the best win/loss ratio of any other coach apart from Jade Rawlings who is, coincidentally, a care taker coach himself! Paul Roos was complete fluke that can never ever be repeated! Unfortunately, even though you may be the best bloke for the job, we have a process, thats right the famous process, that does not allow clubs to hire caretaker coaches!

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2009, 02:57:01 PM »
Well its settled! Never again should any club ever hire a caretaker coach again! It is doomed to fail as Richmond once hired a man by the name of Jeff Gieschen and he just managed to have the best win/loss ratio of any other coach apart from Jade Rawlings who is, coincidentally, a care taker coach himself! Paul Roos was complete fluke that can never ever be repeated! Unfortunately, even though you may be the best bloke for the job, we have a process, thats right the famous process, that does not allow clubs to hire caretaker coaches!

Caretaker coaches
Ask me will Crocker win a flag at North if he is given the job?
Harvey at Freo?
Heck even Neil Craig won't at least until 2012-13 and he is merely keeping his team competitive on the back of strict disciple and ageing premiership stars. He missed the boat in 05 and 06. Remember Bomber Thompsons 8 year plan that came to fruition in 2007. Was he a caretaker.
Grant Thomas came in as caretaker. Flag? No
Ratten at Carlton?

The only flag  since the end of the 2nd world war to be won  by a caretaker coach was Roos in 03. Other than Jezza in 79 who took over after Stewart got sacked early in the year because he was the captain and spiritual leader of that footy club.
That's 1 in 65 years.
I'll get better odds telling you what number will fall out of the barrel in tattslotto tomorrow. 1 in 45 then 1 in 44 1 in 43 and so on.

Come on GR 12 tell me why Jade should be beating the odds beacause currently as things stand we all have a better chance to win the lottery than us to win a flag with a caretaker.

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2009, 03:01:31 PM »
Paul Roos was complete fluke that can never ever be repeated! Unfortunately, even though you may be the best bloke for the job, we have a process, thats right the famous process, that does not allow clubs to hire caretaker coaches!

IMO Rawlings being caretaker should neither count for him or against him.

In Roos' case it probably did count for him (and was a good choice) and that was because he inherited a list which was 5th-8th during Eade's reign and Sydney desperately wanted to top up rather than bottom out. He knew the club, knew the list, had a solid if unspectactular senior core and was the best man to squeeze the best out of the list, identify its shortcomings and strategically add to it with experienced players.

In our case well you would expect us to be out of finals next season at least we are having a fresh start anyway. We're cutting 10-15 players don't have much of a senior core. It is going to be aq fresh start anyway.

If Rawlings is a better coach than Hardwick, Hinkley and the rest he deserves the job, if not then he doesn't.

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2009, 03:44:57 PM »
The name of the next Richmond will start with the letter R :shh

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2009, 03:51:35 PM »

Ramps?
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Online Go Richo 12

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2009, 03:54:04 PM »
Tucker, what your saying is that statistics alone should count him out! I am saying that merely due to the fact that he is caretaker should not count him out, only his downfalls. Also your stats on premiership caretaker coaches are a little baffling. Technically at the moment a coach only has a 6% chance of winning the flag with all things being equal. Not a good strike rate! As we know, not all things are equal so therfore the odds are slimmer for coaches of clubs like ours!Thats why stats never tell the full story.

Con65

« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2009, 04:53:13 PM »
Caretaker coaches
Harvey at Freo?
Heck even Neil Craig won't at least until 2012-13 and he is merely keeping his team competitive on the back of strict disciple and ageing premiership stars. He missed the boat in 05 and 06. Remember Bomber Thompsons 8 year plan that came to fruition in 2007. Was he a caretaker.
Ratten at Carlton?

Roos...caretaker - team has played heaps of finals....
Craig - if he lasts till 2012 means he was there for about 8 years...played in finals...if you dont like how the crows are travelling then i ask you this...would you swap what you are planning to do this September with what a crows supporter is planning to do?  Hell yeah...we all would...Crows under Craig have played in finals in 05, 06, 07, 08....ummm thats 2 more finals series than we have in the past 26 years....but if you dont like Neil Craig...then i would take him.......
Ratten...likely to play finals this year...you can say all you like about tanking to get draft picks...but blues are going to play finals ...We are not...
Saints...personally i do not have much regard for Thomas...but Thomas put in place a culture at that club that it did not have before...the team played finals under him...that culture is still there today...If we had that culture ...maybe we could play finals too...

Why am i so hung up on finals...cos you need to be playing them first before you can win a premiership....you need to get there....RFC has spectacularly failed in the past 26 years...2 finals campaigns is downright deplorable....especially when half the teams get to play finals...we consistently dont...

I dont care if Rawlings does or doesnt get the job...i agree with the other posters on here...It should not count against him.  If he interviews and comes out on top in the process...great...if it is someone else..great too...At least there is no knee jerk reaction and the club appears to have a comprehensive selection process in place to find the best candidate....

Oh and finally..i dont think Roos won a flag in 03..think it was 05 ...in fact isnt it a cup nowadays and not a flag?

Jackstar is back

« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2009, 04:55:59 PM »

Roos ?

Ramps

« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2009, 05:02:24 PM »
Caretaker coaches
Harvey at Freo?
Ratten at Carlton?

Roos...caretaker - team has played heaps of finals....
Craig - if he lasts till 2012 means he was there for about 8 years...played in finals...if you dont like how the crows are travelling then i ask you this...would you swap what you are planning to do this September with what a crows supporter is planning to do?  Hell yeah...we all would...Crows under Craig have played in finals in 05, 06, 07, 08....ummm thats 2 more finals series than we have in the past 26 years....but if you dont like Neil Craig...then i would take him.......
Ratten...likely to play finals this year...you can say all you like about tanking to get draft picks...but blues are going to play finals ...We are not...
Saints...personally i do not have much regard for Thomas...but Thomas put in place a culture at that club that it did not have before...the team played finals under him...that culture is still there today...If we had that culture ...maybe we could play finals too...

Why am i so hung up on finals...cos you need to be playing them first before you can win a premiership....you need to get there....RFC has spectacularly failed in the past 26 years...2 finals campaigns is downright deplorable....especially when half the teams get to play finals...we consistently dont...

I dont care if Rawlings does or doesnt get the job...i agree with the other posters on here...It should not count against him.  If he interviews and comes out on top in the process...great...if it is someone else..great too...At least there is no knee jerk reaction and the club appears to have a comprehensive selection process in place to find the best candidate....

Oh and finally..i dont think Roos won a flag in 03..think it was 05 ...in fact isnt it a cup nowadays and not a flag?

There is massive differences in Neil Craig and Brett Ratten with Jade.

Neil Craig:
Premiership Player in 1975 and 1978 in the SANFL
Captain of SA in 1984
11 State of Origin Appearances
319 senior games SANFL
Spent years in Australian Cycling circles helping Australians win Gold Medals at Olympics

Neil Craig= Winner

Brett Ratten
1995 Premiership Player
State of Origin Player
All Australian Player
Did what he had to do in the year he was Caretaker and landed Kreuzer with Pick 1.

What is exactly on Jades CV?

Jade needs to bide his time and go get himself a flag at a lower level then come back for a tilt at the big time.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #73 on: August 07, 2009, 05:27:26 PM »
Greg Denham on KB's show this morning said Hardwick and Hinkley interviewed very impressively in the first round of interviews with us.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #74 on: August 07, 2009, 05:35:00 PM »
Greg Denham on KB's show this morning said Hardwick and Hinkley interviewed very impressively in the first round of interviews with us.

I take his word with a grain od salt after the peanut suggested cambo was an unbackable favourite for caretaker quoting rawlo at 6-1 :o
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled