Author Topic: And then there were 5 + 1 for the Job  (Read 8328 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: And then there were 5 + 1 for the Job
« Reply #75 on: August 07, 2009, 05:39:29 PM »
Not sure where he's getting his info from or just guessing ??? but Luke Darcy on SEN just now reckons it's now down to 4 candidates - Hardwick, Hinkley, Richardson and Rawlings.

Offline tigerfan1961

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #76 on: August 07, 2009, 05:46:20 PM »
Not sure where he's getting his info from or just guessing ??? but Luke Darcy on SEN just now reckons it's now down to 4 candidates - Hardwick, Hinkley, Richardson and Rawlings.
I take all these predictions with a total grain of salt mate- no-one knows what has been happening and anyone who says they do is just making a best guess. We will finish off the process soon enough and make an announcement. The Club would not be releasing any info to the media- the only way they can find anything out I guess is to contact those who have made it known they have been excluded from the next stage (Like Cameron etc).

We just need to be patient.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2009, 08:14:20 AM »
The supporters want Hardwick. I think thats pretty apparent now. Its only a small minority that want Rawlings. Once again these supporters are being sucked in by the Gieschen effect.

Richmond must go with the Premiership experience and that is Damien Hardwick.

That's very funny Ramps - the supporters want Hardwick and you base this on what exactly?

I was at a function a few weeks ago and the people I was speaking to were talking up the 2 "R's" as their preferred options (Richardson & Rawlings). Only one person mentioned wanting Hardwick and that was their option only if Richardson didn't get the job....

One person said to me that they didn't want Hardwick because he (DH) had been at Port and this person didn't like the way Port played footy and he didn't want that style at Richmond...  :lol :lol

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Ramps

« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2009, 10:24:18 AM »
The supporters want Hardwick. I think thats pretty apparent now. Its only a small minority that want Rawlings. Once again these supporters are being sucked in by the Gieschen effect.

Richmond must go with the Premiership experience and that is Damien Hardwick.

That's very funny Ramps - the supporters want Hardwick and you base this on what exactly?

I was at a function a few weeks ago and the people I was speaking to were talking up the 2 "R's" as their preferred options (Richardson & Rawlings). Only one person mentioned wanting Hardwick and that was their option only if Richardson didn't get the job....

One person said to me that they didn't want Hardwick because he (DH) had been at Port and this person didn't like the way Port played footy and he didn't want that style at Richmond...  :lol :lol

I understand some of you guys want one of the 2 R's, but the reality is that the majority of the supporters want a winner and Hardwick is a PROVEN winner.

Im also waiting for any of the Rawlings supporters to tell me what is on his CV and how his CV is better than the other candidates success wise.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #79 on: August 08, 2009, 11:20:50 AM »
I understand some of you guys want one of the 2 R's, but the reality is that the majority of the supporters want a winner and Hardwick is a PROVEN winner.

Im also waiting for any of the Rawlings supporters to tell me what is on his CV and how his CV is better than the other candidates success wise.

Ramps - I want the best person for the job. I think the vast majority want the best person the job nothing more nothing less

It is interesting you say that want to know what is on Rawlings CV but from a coaching perspective only apart from Hardwick being an assistant at both Port and Hawthorn you and others are not able to tell what exactly is on Hardwick's CV or anyone elses for that matter. There is more needed than having been part of clubs that have had succsess

I will repeat what I asked earlier in this thread but what are his and others skills at:

- developing young players
- communication with both young and senior players
- game plan and structure
- what is his exact job as an assistant? Mids, Forwards, defenders - has alternated over time in all roles or has he just been an assistant in one area (eg mids)

These are the relevant questions for all candidates. Their history forms part of it but what they can do in the future is the key

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #80 on: August 08, 2009, 11:41:05 AM »
Interesting reading the Cousins interview in the HUN

Ben said:

I very much look at Jade as a coach. With a young coach you may not get that feeling, but I look at him and I see a coach. I've really enjoyed working under him.

Ben Cousins: HUN 8/8/2009

See http://oneeyed-richmond.com/forum//index.php?topic=4618.msg153173#msg153173 for full interview

Ben Cousins is one persons view (as player) I'd pay attention too - only because he has had a few coaches in his time  :thumbsup

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #81 on: August 08, 2009, 12:53:07 PM »
Just for the record...

Jade has played in 5 (won 3) final matches during his playing career at Hawthorn.(00 & 01)

Played in the preliminary final in 01 where the Hawks nearly caused a "boil over" to make the GF.He picked up a handy 19 disposals in that match.

Hardwick has played in 23 finals (won 12) -2 premierships.
Unleash the tornado

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #82 on: August 08, 2009, 03:59:47 PM »
Just one more for the record....

Alastair Clarkson played only one final as a player when he was a 19 year old kangaroo back in 1987.
They lost that match by 118 pts.

His 41 games for Melbourne resulted in 30 losses.
Unleash the tornado

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #83 on: August 08, 2009, 04:45:19 PM »

Alastair Clarkson played only one final as a player when he was a 19 year old kangaroo back in 1987.

it kinda underlines my view that playing in premierships says nothing about ones ability to manage 50 people and guide them to the promised land
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #84 on: August 08, 2009, 07:39:13 PM »
Caretaker coaches
Ask me will Crocker win a flag at North if he is given the job?
Harvey at Freo?
Heck even Neil Craig won't at least until 2012-13 and he is merely keeping his team competitive on the back of strict disciple and ageing premiership stars. He missed the boat in 05 and 06. Remember Bomber Thompsons 8 year plan that came to fruition in 2007. Was he a caretaker.
Grant Thomas came in as caretaker. Flag? No
Ratten at Carlton?

Roos...caretaker - team has played heaps of finals....
Craig - if he lasts till 2012 means he was there for about 8 years...played in finals...if you dont like how the crows are travelling then i ask you this...would you swap what you are planning to do this September with what a crows supporter is planning to do?  Hell yeah...we all would...Crows under Craig have played in finals in 05, 06, 07, 08....ummm thats 2 more finals series than we have in the past 26 years....but if you dont like Neil Craig...then i would take him.......
Ratten...likely to play finals this year...you can say all you like about tanking to get draft picks...but blues are going to play finals ...We are not...
Saints...personally i do not have much regard for Thomas...but Thomas put in place a culture at that club that it did not have before...the team played finals under him...that culture is still there today...If we had that culture ...maybe we could play finals too...

Why am i so hung up on finals...cos you need to be playing them first before you can win a premiership....you need to get there....RFC has spectacularly failed in the past 26 years...2 finals campaigns is downright deplorable....especially when half the teams get to play finals...we consistently dont...

I dont care if Rawlings does or doesnt get the job...i agree with the other posters on here...It should not count against him.  If he interviews and comes out on top in the process...great...if it is someone else..great too...At least there is no knee jerk reaction and the club appears to have a comprehensive selection process in place to find the best candidate....

Oh and finally..i dont think Roos won a flag in 03..think it was 05 ...in fact isnt it a cup nowadays and not a flag?

Finals are good and Adelaide are playing well but no GF's and no premierships and thats what footy is about. I love Neil Craig and think he is a great coach and would love him at the RFC but he was a CARETAKER for the last 9 games in 2004 before he was given the job full time post 2004 season. CARETAKER CARETAKER. Rawlings if he is successful in gaining the RFC job full time will not be a caretaker but if you cared to read what I wrote Cocho rather than swipe you would have pleasantly noticed that my statistics were based on caoches who were originally caretakers and got the gigs at that club full time at a later point in time for whatever tenure.
Still the statistics don't lie Roos was originally a Caretaker at Sydney got the job full time at Sydney later and won in 2005 a flag or premiership or cup or pennant or championship or conquered the mountain, hill, mound or whatever above sea level elevation you like. 1 coach in the last 64 years.

By the way Nei

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #85 on: August 08, 2009, 10:57:18 PM »
Jon Ralph said on Ch 10 Hardwick is the favourite for both jobs. He reckons we'll know in 2-3 weeks.

Wayne Carey has come out publicly and pumped up Longmire's tyres for the gig at North.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #86 on: August 09, 2009, 05:30:07 AM »

it kinda underlines my view that playing in premierships says nothing about ones ability to manage 50 people and guide them to the promised land
Clarkson coached Central Districts to a SANFL flag (2001?) before joining Mark Williams at Port as an assistant in their 2004 flag. He didn't see success as a player but he hasn't missed out as a coach at any level. Probably the only "box" Hardwick doesn't tick is coaching his own team/club at a lower level.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #87 on: August 10, 2009, 09:58:33 PM »
Current caretaker coach Jade Rawlings, ex-Kangaroos coach Dean Laidley, Essendon assistant Alan Richardson and Port Adelaide assistant Damien Hardwick are understood to be among the short-listed candidates to coach the Tigers next year and beyond.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=848082

Tigermonk

« Reply #88 on: August 11, 2009, 06:46:20 AM »

Clarkson coached Central Districts to a SANFL flag (2001?) before joining Mark Williams at Port as an assistant in their 2004 flag. He didn't see success as a player but he hasn't missed out as a coach at any level. Probably the only "box" Hardwick doesn't tick is coaching his own team/club at a lower level.

then that makes Hardwick no different than Campbell, he shouldnot coach us if he never coached a team on his own

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #89 on: August 11, 2009, 06:55:29 AM »
then that makes Hardwick no different than Campbell, he shouldnot coach us if he never coached a team on his own

That's a very interesting point you make Monk.

Would be interested to here others comment on that one :thumbsup