Author Topic: Richardson, Hardwick, Rawlings and Hinkley left in RFC coaching race  (Read 20814 times)

Offline Beren

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Richardson, Hardwick, Rawlings and Hinkley left in RFC coaching race
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2009, 02:46:35 PM »
Does it really matter who is our coach next year?
Give it a week and people here will be complaining about him and calling him a dud.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2009, 03:28:44 PM »
Does it really matter who is our coach next year?
Give it a week and people here will be complaining about him and calling him a dud.

Disagree there. There will always be dissenting voices, but Terry had majority support for the first 2 seasons. It was end of 2006 (e.g. drafting Kingsley), the horror 2007 start and the 2011 comment that turned people off.

Confident that a Hardwick, Hinkley or Richardson would enjoy the same clean slate.

I think that both Rawlings and Laidley would have more to prove for differing reasons.

Ramps

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2009, 03:34:59 PM »
Whoever is coach needs 2 years to clean the slate completely. Above all the club needs to put the resources in place to help the coach. Extra development coach/coaches, new fitness staff, more resources into recruiting etc etc

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2009, 06:23:22 PM »
to all you hardwick lovers, how do you rate his performance as an assistant this yr

some people are just at the right place at the right time and success just falls in their lap, butthis yr , when th ehawks have been tested, what has he brought to the table
hardwick, imo, is lucky and overrated

:lol :thumbsup

Sounds very much like a conversation I had yesterday morning. Is the office kitchen bugged  ;D

Under the system we have that sends players to clubs. I reckon it is a valid point that luck has a bit to do with it...

Players get drafted they don't really get a choice as to where they get to play when they start.

Hardwick ended up at Essendon at time when they were very successful as a teenager he didn't sit in the back of the room making his own luck - the lottery that is the draft sent him to the Essendon.

He then got traded to Port Adel not because he actually wanted to go but because Essendon needed to off load players because of the salary cap. That was lucky for him pure and simple and I don't think him going to Port was the reason they won that flag, he was part of the team that won it but not the reason

And I actually agree regarding Hawthorn this year - isn't he as part of the coaching staff partly responsible for where they find themselves at the minute? Or is that all Clarkson's fault.. and please don't use the excuse of injuries ... the Hawks problems go a lot deeper than injuries ...
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2009, 06:45:25 PM »
The problem with the Hawks I'm hearing is everyone has worked how to beat their zones and that Clarksons rants are losing some of his boys.

And injuries do have some effect and its just silly to pretand they don't eg: Geelong couldnt beat Brisbane and Hawthorn would argue that they had as many outs as the Saints last week.

I still have faith that the process will turn up the best coach that will suit Richmonds short and medium needs.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2009, 07:10:11 PM »
i heard richardson has been very impressive so far and is leading the pack.

but dont discount mick malthouse just yet, dont be surprised if the pies win the flag this yr that mick will break ties with th epies and become a tiger.
one never knows

Richo would be a great fit as an elite developing coach of young players. I think Laidley would be a perfect overlay as football director to provide valuable match day expertise in the coaches box.
FWIW, I'd say Hardwick will want to run his own show so difficult to see Laidley fitting into that set up.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Ramps

« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2009, 07:11:00 PM »
to all you hardwick lovers, how do you rate his performance as an assistant this yr

some people are just at the right place at the right time and success just falls in their lap, butthis yr , when th ehawks have been tested, what has he brought to the table
hardwick, imo, is lucky and overrated

:lol :thumbsup

Sounds very much like a conversation I had yesterday morning. Is the office kitchen bugged  ;D

Under the system we have that sends players to clubs. I reckon it is a valid point that luck has a bit to do with it...

Players get drafted they don't really get a choice as to where they get to play when they start.

Hardwick ended up at Essendon at time when they were very successful as a teenager he didn't sit in the back of the room making his own luck - the lottery that is the draft sent him to the Essendon.

He then got traded to Port Adel not because he actually wanted to go but because Essendon needed to off load players because of the salary cap. That was lucky for him pure and simple and I don't think him going to Port was the reason they won that flag, he was part of the team that won it but not the reason

And I actually agree regarding Hawthorn this year - isn't he as part of the coaching staff partly responsible for where they find themselves at the minute? Or is that all Clarkson's fault.. and please don't use the excuse of injuries ... the Hawks problems go a lot deeper than injuries ...

Absolute dribble ... you guys wanted Rawlings and Rawlings has shown he cant do this job. The one candidate who has successful pedigree is hardwick and you guys reckon its luck.

- How much luck was it that he broke into a dominant team and was a member of an Essendon Winning Side. I suppose It was just luck that he was in there best side.

- How much luck was it that Port Adelaide recruited him- they needed a hard nut and they recruited him. They won a flag and again Hardwick was in the best 22 players - luck again you guys say ... lol

- Luck again that Hawthorn decided that of all the assistant coaches to target they targetted Hardwick and they won a flag ... luck pfffttttt

Theres luck and theres reality. Luck is being Darryl Freame who becomes a Premiership player when it was never likely, Luck is not getting lucky 3 times in Footy and winning 3 Flags like Hardwick - thats called being a winner.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2009, 07:25:52 PM »
Ramps, I also think Hardwick is a good potential candidate - the only problem that I see is we don't thoroughly test each of the final 3 due to "pre selecting him" (Rawlings should be ruled out due to inexperience, kid in a mans role)

If Hardwick stands up to the scrutiny, great, fantastic. If Hinkley does, just as good. If Richardson, even better.

What I won't be doing is putting all my eggs in one basket and have faith that our club is finally doing it properly at last by picking the best candidate AFTER the process, not before it.

That is why we have a process.

Your methodology of picking the guy with the best track record on paper didn't work with Wallace. It comes down to technical skills (teaching), experience (footy, coaching etc, winning background) and fit.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline gtig

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2009, 07:52:29 PM »
Hinkley for me mainly for the IP he would bring from Geelong, but Hardwick also good. Richardson moving already from the Bombers seems a bit hasty?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2009, 09:41:07 PM »
Absolute dribble ... you guys wanted Rawlings and Rawlings has shown he cant do this job. The one candidate who has successful pedigree is hardwick and you guys reckon its luck.

- How much luck was it that he broke into a dominant team and was a member of an Essendon Winning Side. I suppose It was just luck that he was in there best side.

- How much luck was it that Port Adelaide recruited him- they needed a hard nut and they recruited him. They won a flag and again Hardwick was in the best 22 players - luck again you guys say ... lol

- Luck again that Hawthorn decided that of all the assistant coaches to target they targetted Hardwick and they won a flag ... luck pfffttttt

Theres luck and theres reality. Luck is being Darryl Freame who becomes a Premiership player when it was never likely, Luck is not getting lucky 3 times in Footy and winning 3 Flags like Hardwick - thats called being a winner.

Ramps - anywhere in my post did I say Hardwick he was lucky to play in those premeirship teams?

NO - what I said was luck landed his way when he was drafted by Essendon. Luck also landed his way when he was traded to Port.

The reality is the draft is lottery and if things fall your way you can end up at a club that wins a flag.
Trades are a lottery as well.

Let's look at all those other Bombers players from the same premiership that got traded - Heffernan, Blumfield, Solomon, etc - they got traded to poor teams. Hardwick got to Port and they won a flag. Bottom line is if a better deal was on the table for Hardwick then he wouldn't have ended up at Port, he could have ended up at Melb, the Bulldogs - anywhere 

What he achieved once at those club as a player was not luck it was result of hard work by him and believe me I am not disputing that but he was lucky that it was Port that did that deal and other clubs didn't
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2009, 10:36:34 PM »
Caracella was another "lucky" one as well boys.
Hey Stuart Dew was "lucky" also. Lucky Hardwick and Clarkson knew him from Port.

Experience in success at the elite level counts for everything. Does not matter how you got it. If you have been to the top it counts more than finishing 2nd 5th 8th or 11th.

Few at Essendon nowadays would remember Paul Hills but he has a premiership medallion around his neck and although that may not mean something next to a bloke of the ilk of Skilton Flower or even Richo, I am sure all would give up their personal milestones for ultimate glory.

That's why they play for ultimate glory players and coaches and that's how their measured. Hardwick has been involved in 3 flags.

If you needed major surgery and you had a choice on who was to perform it would you go to the good looking intern in their last year of med school or the doctor who has performed hundreds of them with success. Equate this and draw parrallel lines with Richmond's current plight it is life or death if this does not work. 29 years since a flag and two finals series in 27 years. Another five years of this crap and we'll be the new North Melbourne in terms of members.

Hardwick Hardwick Hardwick.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2009, 10:59:03 PM »
I'm more than happy if Hardwick is just lucky
So far he's had premierships ever 4 years on the same year as the Olympics, 2000, 2004 & 2008
That would mean he's due for another in 2012, I can live with that

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2009, 11:02:39 PM »
The harder I train/work the luckier I get! someone once said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hardwick leads the race for top job (Age)
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2009, 04:34:39 AM »
Hardwick leads the race for top job
Jake Niall | August 13, 2009

... Darren Crocker is down to the last three [at North], but his best hope seems to be that Richmond jumps in and offers the job to Damian Hardwick, who can be all but pencilled in for one of the positions, North or Richmond.

''Dimmer'' was beaten for the Essendon coaching job by Matthew Knights, in part due to his lack of computer files in the final interview.

It will take an even greater calamity - the dog eating his PowerPoint presentation perhaps - to deprive him of a senior coaching gig now.

What we have now are six or seven primary candidates for the two remaining jobs. Richmond is a contest between Hardwick, Geelong's Ken Hinkley and Essendon's Alan Richardson, the betting probably in that order.

Dean Laidley is the outsider, and North folk must be hoping that he will somehow emerge from the shadows and win the Richmond job, giving the Roos a clear run at Hardwick.

Some observers believe Jade Rawlings remains in contention at Tigerland, but I'd be very surprised if they handed the job to a caretaker who was seemingly chosen, in part, because he wouldn't prejudice the process - as Wayne Campbell would have had he taken the reins and won some games.

Rawlings is 31, and clubs don't hire coaches who are younger than their senior players, not that the Tigers will have too many in that category next year.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/hardwick-next-in-line/2009/08/12/1249756351704.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2009, 04:36:43 AM »
Also from the Age...

Hawthorn assistant coach Damien Hardwick made a presentation to the club [North Melbourne] yesterday, current caretaker Darren Crocker presents today and Collingwood assistant Brad Scott tomorrow.

Hardwick was also interviewed for a second time at Richmond last Monday where he is on the short list with Ken Hinkley, Alan Richardson - who was interviewed at the club last night - and Jade Rawlings. Dean Laidley will also speak with the club.

Hardwick is thus the only senior coaching aspirant in the running at both North and the Tigers.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/longmire-out-of-kangaroos-race/2009/08/12/1249756351710.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1