Author Topic: Give us your 1, 2, 3, 4 as at 19 August  (Read 5426 times)

Jackstar is back

Re: Give us your 1, 2, 3, 4 as at 19 August
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2009, 01:39:49 PM »
Why would any coach put up with an interfering board,  I actually dont blame Kevin, you see, thats the problem down at RFC, way too many know it alls, now we have CC ::) and RM ::)

Jakc there is a massive difference between the board interfering and some bloke who wants to be coach saying everyone in a senior position must exit the building.

No coach no matter who they are and what there record is has the right to demand/dictate those sort of changes

In Richmonds case, I would say yes.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2009, 01:46:35 PM »
Why would any coach put up with an interfering board,  I actually dont blame Kevin, you see, thats the problem down at RFC, way too many know it alls, now we have CC ::) and RM ::)

Jakc there is a massive difference between the board interfering and some bloke who wants to be coach saying everyone in a senior position must exit the building.

No coach no matter who they are and what there record is has the right to demand/dictate those sort of changes

Really? Your telling me that the last 25 years hasn't highlighted to you the fact that the senior coach shouldn't run the club?

Jackstar is back

« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2009, 02:26:43 PM »

Really? Your telling me that the last 25 years hasn't highlighted to you the fact that the senior coach shouldn't run the club?

No in this instance we needed to do things different, we will just have a revolving door at Punt Rd where we keep turning over coaches ?? Now Infamy, why would that be ??

YOU TELL ME !
And furthmore the media just write articles and the supporters or should I say nuffers go along with it.
Might add that these candidates have there mates in the press "'pushing there barrow"" for them, as was the case with Walllace.

Would anyone on here actually know if Richardson is a good coach or Hardwick has any idea ?? Really.
My knowledge of Richardson is this, his time at coburg, he wasnt as hard as he should of been with the playing group.
Hopefully he would of learnt.

As for Hardwick being a tough player, doesnt translate to him being a tough coach ::), oh perception is a funny thing

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2009, 11:38:04 PM »

Richardson

Cons:
Unlike Hinkley and Hardwick hasn't yet experienced an AFL flag as player or as assistant coach. Missed out on the Pies 1990 flag.

MT, do you think there is a significant difference between winning an AFL flag and being ruled out of the eventual GF winning team that you've been a part of all season on GF eve?  Does it give you more or less motivation to win one as a coach?
Well deep down it shouldn't Jake. Hafey never was part of a VFL premiership for instance before getting the Tiger gig but like Richardson won flags as coach at lower levels. I only considered it an issue as most (although not all) modern AFL premiership coaches over the past 30 years have experienced an AFL flag as an assistant coach or player prior to achieving one as senior coach.

Won an AFL flag as coach or player: Thompson, Worsfold, Matthews, Sheedy, Blight, Parkin, Malthouse, Jeans, Joyce, Walls, Jewell, Jezza

Didn't win one before becoming senior coach: Clarkson (assistant at Port in 2004 but had to step down just before they won the flag), Roos, Williams, Pagan

Out of the ones who hadn't experienced an AFL flag only Roos and Williams never coached a flag at a lower level either to my knowledge. Williams won 4 SANFL flags as a player.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2009, 12:49:26 PM »
Well deep down it shouldn't Jake. Hafey never was part of a VFL premiership for instance before getting the Tiger gig but like Richardson won flags as coach at lower levels. I only considered it an issue as most (although not all) modern AFL premiership coaches over the past 30 years have experienced an AFL flag as an assistant coach or player prior to achieving one as senior coach.

Won an AFL flag as coach or player: Thompson, Worsfold, Matthews, Sheedy, Blight, Parkin, Malthouse, Jeans, Joyce, Walls, Jewell, Jezza

Didn't win one before becoming senior coach: Clarkson (assistant at Port in 2004 but had to step down just before they won the flag), Roos, Williams, Pagan

Out of the ones who hadn't experienced an AFL flag only Roos and Williams never coached a flag at a lower level either to my knowledge. Williams won 4 SANFL flags as a player.

MT I'm not debating whether or not the premiership player thing is a valid measuring stick (I happen to think not, but that is not the point).

Rather, I am saying that someone who missed out on a GF on GF eve knows just as much what it takes as someone who played one the day. Winning a GF is a season long effort.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2009, 03:03:25 PM »
Rather, I am saying that someone who missed out on a GF on GF eve knows just as much what it takes as someone who played one the day. Winning a GF is a season long effort.
Interesting question. I agree winning a premiership is a season long effort (even far longer given clubs now take 7, 8 even 9 years to rebuild up to one - Hawks, Cats and Saints started rebuilding around 1999-2001) but I think as a player you would feel you have missed out if you aren't on the ground on the big day paying the price for the ultimate award. As for how it would affect you as a future coach it probably doesn't matter. You've still seen from close up in the inner sanctrum what winning a flag involves for a footy club as a whole. I guess the only thing you miss out on as coach is the ability to pass onto your players what playing in a GF is like.

What Allan Richardson would've seen first hand at Collingwood is their 1990 flag was built upon their 1986 U19s flag. That is talented youth came through the ranks together and combined with quality older players who survived the mess and pain of the early-mid 80s plus some handy interstate imports and of course a top coach who could jell them into a unit they won that elusive flag in spite of the mental colliwobbles.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd