Author Topic: Richmond to play two Darwin home games over the next 3 years [merged]  (Read 5704 times)

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/tigers-eye-darwin-games/2009/08/19/1250362118829.html

Tigers eye Darwin games
Caroline Wilson | August 20, 2009

RICHMOND has emerged as the wildcard in the AFL's foray into the Northern Territory with the Tigers confident they will contest a home game next season in Darwin.

Club president Gary March confirmed yesterday that Richmond had requested two home games over the next three years in Darwin in a three-way agreement with the AFL and the NT Government that could reap the Tigers $1 million.

While March would not elaborate it is understood that Richmond is keen to compensate for the projected home game on the Gold Coast next season that has been cancelled due to the redevelopment work due to start next month at Carrara in readiness for the Gold Coast's debut in 2011.

The Tigers have included a bid in their 2010 fixture request to play Port Adelaide in Darwin during the middle of next season over the bye fortnight in a bid to hold a community camp in the Northern Territory and continue to develop the club's indigenous links.

The Western Bulldogs have also requested a home game in Darwin but rejected Canberra as a home venue for 2010, instead requesting a home game to be played at Geelong's Skilled Stadium.

Melbourne had originally been earmarked to sell a game to the Northern Territory and is also expected to play again in Canberra.

Meanwhile, Carlton confirmed last night it would not look at selling a game outside Victoria next season. The Blues made $400,000 from this year's ''home'' clash against Fremantle at Carrara but performed poorly.

Although Carlton remains keen to extricate itself from Etihad Stadium next season, it remains bound by an AFL contract with the venue to play six home games there.

Offline 3rogerd

• Premiership Captain
Re: Darwin Home Game 2010
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 03:35:19 PM »
getting the brand out there, whilst pocketing some good coin.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 03:41:38 PM »
Are we that hard up for cash that we need to sell games though? ???

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 04:03:29 PM »
We're not "hard up for cash".  Imagine what another million dollars could do for our football department.  Another 3 or 4 staff members for development or recruiting.

Jackstar is back

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 04:18:52 PM »
We're not "hard up for cash".  Imagine what another million dollars could do for our football department.  Another 3 or 4 staff members for development or recruiting.

Pay for 3 more Jordon McMahons. :banghead And have $10,000 left over

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 04:20:41 PM »
I have 2 sons and a grandson in Darwin - what a fine excuse for a holiday.  I love the place so bring it on!   :clapping :cheers ;D

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 04:23:26 PM »
schit of a place

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 05:19:34 PM »

Does bringing up negative decisions in the past get your rocks off or something?  I can't see any other reason for you to continually bring up completely unrelated things.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 05:20:07 PM »

I know you would think otherwise but I really think the RFC would have learnt from trading picks for recycled players and we shouldn't see early round draft picks go again for other teams crap players

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 09:16:33 PM »
schit of a place

Nup.  Fair chance my later years will be around those parts.  Done the cold and the rat race and the OS - NT's a mighty fine place to chill out and chill out is about where I am in life now.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 12:46:05 AM »
The AFL usually makes us play Port away every year  ::) so playing at a neutral venue is probably an advantage in this case.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 12:54:20 AM »
Personally I'd rather have our Docklands home games against Docklands tenant clubs moved interstate. Better off having it at a neutral venue than the oppositions home ground.

Offline gtig

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2009, 10:27:32 AM »
if this means we have more cash to cut deeper into the list then great.
plus Darwin is a great place to spend a weekend in the middle of melbourne winter.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond to play two home games in Darwin in the next 3 years (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 05:34:50 AM »
With the draw not due for release until October 30, nothing is official, but the Demons, the Western Bulldogs and Richmond are all poised to play two home games each in Darwin in the next three years.

Port Adelaide would be the away team on each occasion.

Selling home fixtures will reap the clubs about $500,000 a game.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/darker-dees-fly-true-colours/story-e6frf9jf-1225788111170

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Re: Richmond to play two home games in Darwin in the next 3 years (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 08:37:39 AM »
I'm ok with this.

Easy money.

After three years we're hopefully a finals team and our crowd drawing power will replace selling home games.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do