Author Topic: First Pick Must Play Round One  (Read 1749 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: First Pick Must Play Round One
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2009, 07:48:59 PM »
No, I am saying that at pick 3 they should be good enough, fit enough and have the body to play round one, not be small bodied, unfit, carrying injuries etc... we can not afford to pick a player carrying baggage that is what I am saying.

Fair enough but I reckon that logic could be frought with danger.

Jack Watts was taken by Melb for a reason with all the top recruiters saying he was always going to go 1, 2 or 3 but he was at the younger end age = 17.

Having watched him in the few games he played he clearly wasn't ready to play and then coupled with that at 17 he was finishing his VCE etc.

Did Melb make a mistake in picking him? Because under your argument they shouldn't have picked him because he wasn't ready to play round 1? Thinking long term they needed key position forwards so they based their pick not on what was going to work in year 1 but would be best for them long term

Add to that Naitanui didn't play round 1 either, firstly because of injury and then they gave him some time the WAFL

I agree with Infamy you cannot take the short term view - we have to think long term

If they are ready and deserve to play round 1 play then but if they don't deserve it they shouldn't play
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2009, 10:04:29 PM »
From the early choices this year I think Scully, Trengove, Morabito are ready to play.

Well either one of those would be great then.
Very short sighted view
Don't take a project player with an early pick I agree with, but if Kid A will be better than Kid B in 3 years then you take Kid A

Yes Infamy, but how many times have we picked Kid A and he has not worked out to be better!!
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Ramps

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2009, 10:06:53 PM »
I forgot Dustin Martin, hes a decent sized mid he could probably play as well. In the end, we just should get the best player irrespective of whether they can play in R1 or R15

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2009, 10:13:53 PM »
From the early choices this year I think Scully, Trengove, Morabito are ready to play.

Very short sighted view
Don't take a project player with an early pick I agree with, but if Kid A will be better than Kid B in 3 years then you take Kid A

Yes Infamy, but how many times have we picked Kid A and he has not worked out to be better!!
So you're saying pick the developed kid because we are no good at getting the best out of them?
That's a pretty half assed solution if you ask me

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2009, 10:37:30 PM »

Very short sighted view

So you're saying pick the developed kid because we are no good at getting the best out of them?
That's a pretty half assed solution if you ask me

No I am saying pick the developed kid because we can't seem to pick anyone better unless we have pick 1... Daniel Rich, a player like him for round one would be nice.

I am sick of development players that don't develop don't you understand that, I will say it again... Patto, Gus, Petts, Polo, Hughes, Schulz... ra ra ra, please read what I am saying.

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2009, 10:47:46 PM »
So you're saying we should have taken Palmer instead of Cotchin?

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2009, 10:52:06 PM »
So you're saying we should have taken Palmer instead of Cotchin?

Well time will tell on that one, Palmer was way ahead of Cotchin before he wen't down with the knee wouldn't you say?? No I am not saying that but we had better get it right this draft because there is no ware to hide when the 2010 draft comes along. We need ready to go players not project or development players WITH OUR FIRST PICK!!!!!!!!!.

"Rucks: