Author Topic: Hardwick on SEN this Thursday with KB  (Read 6723 times)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Hardwick on SEN this Thursday with KB
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2010, 08:39:12 PM »
Listening to Dimma  :sleep

Couldn't give a scheizen if he gets the results though.

Would you prefer to listen to a spin doctor like T Wallet? Hardwick says what he has to say and no more. I like that  :thumbsup

An interesting interview and a bit of insight into the mindset at richmond now

Claw, whats this thing you have about KPFs ? How many do you think should be on the list?

Responses to emails.....

* Our key forwards will be Polly, Astbury, Griffiths, Riewoldt at this stage.

Gee our opponents will be shaking in their boots over that list  ::)

Who cares what our opponents think? The greatest mistake you can make in a battle is to underestimate your enemy.  Frawley was obsessed with gaining respect, the king of spuds.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2010, 08:51:20 PM »
pretty certain Dea  was a target.just not sure weather we wanted him at pick 44.
 people i trust say we were very keen on him. in fact wasnt there an article about jackson going crook because he got u 18 games late in the season and went alright. i believe we had a player pencilled in at 44 but got wind brisbane were takeing Dea at 47 and the rest is history.

clearly martin was a target as was griffiths who trained with us. i know jackson liked tapscott a lot so did a lot of people. thing is if tapscott was there at 19 it means we were prepared to miss on griffiths.
personally i rated 3 mids in front of griffiths and both talls  carlisle and black. but i have had to admit i havent seen a lot of any of the kids this yr and my opinion is not informed.

im a bit wary on us looking after needs after our first 3 picks as well. should have taken another couple of talls  a ruckman and another kpp would have done.

claw you are right on most points, but I know for a fact that jackson would of taken griffiths ahead of tapscott if they were both available. The tiger medicos sat in on griffiths surgery, before the draft .

The player they wanted at 44 was the young kid the buldogs snared at 15, the bolter, forget his name.
Sheesh i know a few people who would have been jumping if we took Griffiths over Tapscott.Including me.
As it was i wanted Bastinac at 19. Even though ive been screaming for us to take talls. i think damien wrong when he says we took best available with our first 3 picks especially with Griffiths.

The bulldogs player you mention was Howard. There was a few who were not surprised with his selection at 15. Must admit i wasnt one of them.

Blaisse, he said at 3 they took best available, not first 3

After Martin all other picks were on needs, according to that interview
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

the claw

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2010, 09:00:38 PM »

Would you prefer to listen to a spin doctor like T Wallet? Hardwick says what he has to say and no more. I like that  :thumbsup

An interesting interview and a bit of insight into the mindset at richmond now

Claw, whats this thing you have about KPFs ? How many do you think should be on the list.

hmm a minimum of 6 tall forwards and when building maybe more or as many as it takes.
what do we have.
polak  its only my opinion but not good enough we need to upgrade.
riewoldt - should be  a decent player but still to properly establish himself.
astbury - development player may or may not make it.
Griffiths - same as Astbury.
Westhoff - rookie player long term prospect may or may not make it.
gourdis - rookie listed very poor skills is already on thin ice.

i suppose thats 6. but not one established player among them though jack is close. how many will make it well polak and gourdis are in the gun already. and if one or two of the others fail which is on the cards because you just dont get every pick right  where are we.

look we are in rebuild. you load up when rebuilding. you find 3 or 4 who you know will establish themselves as players you then get a couple of real promising prospects like griffiths astbury into your system. with luck in time you are in a position to trade the lesser rated talls for valuable picks.

anyway thats my thinking on it.

Ramps

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2010, 09:27:35 PM »
If we finish last we end up with pick 4 and that puts us in a decent position to get another decent forward. Jack Darling will go high but he was only around 191cm at the championships. Sam Day is a really interesting prospect. There will be other KPF that will come into calculations as well.

the claw

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2010, 10:06:51 PM »
pretty certain Dea  was a target.just not sure weather we wanted him at pick 44.
 people i trust say we were very keen on him. in fact wasnt there an article about jackson going crook because he got u 18 games late in the season and went alright. i believe we had a player pencilled in at 44 but got wind brisbane were takeing Dea at 47 and the rest is history.

clearly martin was a target as was griffiths who trained with us. i know jackson liked tapscott a lot so did a lot of people. thing is if tapscott was there at 19 it means we were prepared to miss on griffiths.
personally i rated 3 mids in front of griffiths and both talls  carlisle and black. but i have had to admit i havent seen a lot of any of the kids this yr and my opinion is not informed.

im a bit wary on us looking after needs after our first 3 picks as well. should have taken another couple of talls  a ruckman and another kpp would have done.

claw you are right on most points, but I know for a fact that jackson would of taken griffiths ahead of tapscott if they were both available. The tiger medicos sat in on griffiths surgery, before the draft .

The player they wanted at 44 was the young kid the buldogs snared at 15, the bolter, forget his name.
Sheesh i know a few people who would have been jumping if we took Griffiths over Tapscott.Including me.
As it was i wanted Bastinac at 19. Even though ive been screaming for us to take talls. i think damien wrong when he says we took best available with our first 3 picks especially with Griffiths.

The bulldogs player you mention was Howard. There was a few who were not surprised with his selection at 15. Must admit i wasnt one of them.

Blaisse, he said at 3 they took best available, not first 3

After Martin all other picks were on needs, according to that interview
just went back and had a look and yep i agree. he said we took best available at 3 and looked to needs from there on in. i suppose we addressed needs no matter who we took there was so many holes in the list.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2010, 10:34:31 PM »
They took the best available players that could kick and hit targets regularly, perhaps some of these players that have been mentioned that went earlier in the draft did not fit that bill. Thats why people we did not take old mate (cant even remember his name) because his kicking was not consistant. But because he is a KPP we should have selected him over Martin who just happens to be a dead eye kick on both sides........ PLEASE!!
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2010, 10:50:19 PM »
They took the best available players that could kick and hit targets regularly, perhaps some of these players that have been mentioned that went earlier in the draft did not fit that bill. Thats why people we did not take old mate (cant even remember his name) because his kicking was not consistant. But because he is a KPP we should have selected him over Martin who just happens to be a dead eye kick on both sides........ PLEASE!!

Butcher

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2010, 10:54:27 PM »

Butcher

Thats the guy..... :thumbsup
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2010, 11:15:01 PM »
* Fair point about turnovers. If you look at the stats it's more about decisioon making. It's about making better deicsions. So kicking is a high priority. everyone we drafted this year is a good kick.
Our decision making has been poor but we also have had too many players who simply are either poor kicks or their kicking technique isn't tight and reliable enough to hold up under game pressure when fast decision making and execution is required.

* KB mentioned that players improve when they are put under pressure at training so they get use to it. Hardwick said his brief to Craig Cameron is training will be game-based. You may lose a soldier but we need to put our guys under game conditions. We do that every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
As the old saying goes play as you train and train as you play.

Wallace promised game-based training as well when he started but pretty much wasn't hands on. It's good that Hardwick has umpired some of these scratch matches so far. He can continually watch and talk to players while doing it. Malthouse does the same at Collingwood training. The test for Hardwick is the training needs to be at game speed at high intensity and pressure with players being continually educated - positive play in sync with the gameplan reinforced and drilled while negative play/mistakes are pulled up and players made to do again what they did wrong until they don't make mistakes. Build confidence and belief for the real stuff. I hope Hardwick is also educating them on basic game strategy. We seemed often to be totally oblivious to straightforward tactics such as switches of play and hitting lead up targets running into space :P.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2010, 11:27:56 PM »

In an ideal world, I would rather listen to a coach who doesn't use cliches like 'going forwards' and doesn't start every reply with 'Look, ...'

But I don't really care as long as he gets the results.

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2010, 05:53:09 AM »

yes howard was the boys name,he is the one they wanted at 44

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2010, 06:55:36 PM »
Speaks well and precisely.

Gives the answer he is supposed to give and does not go off on unrelated tangents to give a perception that he is intelligent.

Once the season starts will have the guile to bluff the media and keep the opposition guessing.

Has a great hands on approach and hopefully the plan he has spoken about will reap rewards in the future.

Just refreshing to hear the truth instead of spindoctoring and utter garbage to belied a team that was 1-8 after 9 rounds last year to give an example.

the claw

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2010, 07:22:32 PM »

In an ideal world, I would rather listen to a coach who doesn't use cliches like 'going forwards' and doesn't start every reply with 'Look, ...'

But I don't really care as long as he gets the results.
in a way i cant hear it enough. why because we all know what we do now and next yr is aimed at 3 4  yrs time we are indeed greatly looking forward. wallace and the club  on the other hand well as far as they looked forward was next week. hence the great need for long term vision now.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2010, 06:51:16 AM »
A fantastic summary, thanks Wayne and One Eyed. Good insight into the pre season. Good luck to the coach and players, they'll need it. I'm not so sure hardwick will be as articulate at those post match pressers when we have been nailed by the Cats or Crows or Saints. I mean how many times can you say "We're not taking short cuts?"
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2010, 07:43:28 AM »

If Big Ben turns into Tony Lockett the 2nd comming will you will be jumping ?

You cannot whinge on one hand we have sod all KPP youth on the list and then say u did not want Griffs