Author Topic: BEN COUSINS [merged]  (Read 214718 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: BEN COUSINS [merged]
« Reply #630 on: February 18, 2009, 04:08:29 PM »
An article about drug criminals in WA and of course the journo has to mention Cousins in passing .....

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/quaid-coaccused-could-plead-guilty-to-drugs-20090218-8b0s.html

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #631 on: February 18, 2009, 04:15:16 PM »
An article about drug criminals in WA and of course the journo has to mention Cousins in passing .....

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/quaid-coaccused-could-plead-guilty-to-drugs-20090218-8b0s.html

Hmmm no mention of the "burly man", very odd.

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #632 on: February 19, 2009, 10:37:01 PM »
lo and behold Crackers Keenan is now praising us...

Big Ben gamble paying off
Crackers Keenan, Inside Football
Wed Feb 18, 2009

It looks like Richmond has pulled the right rein by signing Ben Cousins. Publicity, memberships and corporate involvement are all soaring; The two clubs who went close to signing the ex-West Coast champ - Collingwood and  St Kilda - might be thinking it would have been a good investment after all.

The public has also lauded Richmond for hav­ing extended the olive branch to the fallen star. Some people in footy wanted him back and oth­ers didn't. If he starts to play well we can expect the blame game to start and if Collingwood or St Kilda are struggling they will be hammered for passing on Cousins.

Put bluntly, Richmond took the gamble and the other two didn't. If he plays well the Tigers are geniuses and if he bombs out, well, that's the luck of the draw - but they have the money from 5000 member­ships in the bank.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #633 on: February 20, 2009, 07:20:53 AM »
Actually just on Benny and the extra $$$ he's bough to the club.

Yesterday at the Den, the only reebok jumper that is available to purchase (with no Luxbet logo on the back btw) are ones with No. 32 on the back - were selling like hot cakes  :thumbsup

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tiger Tragic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #634 on: February 20, 2009, 02:25:51 PM »
Yesterday at the Den, the only reebok jumper that is available to purchase (with no Luxbet logo on the back btw) are ones with No. 32 on the back - were selling like hot cakes  :thumbsup

Maybe they are just the excess stock leftover from the last 10 years of the Tivendale era  ;)

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #635 on: February 20, 2009, 03:19:42 PM »
Actually just on Benny and the extra $$$ he's bough to the club.

true WP,

I believe they sold out in the afternoon.

Alot of cash was made yesterday

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #636 on: February 20, 2009, 05:06:54 PM »
expenditure:

Cousins' salary:   $150k

revenue:

Membership rise: 5000 x $150 (on average) = $750k
Merchandise related: 100s? x $100 #32 guernseys = $10ks

If you include other revenue streams that has increased due to Cousins plus future gates receipt increases thanks to people wanting to watch him play, Cousins will probably add at the very least $1 million to the club's bottom line this year. That's incredible when every club has budgeted for zero increase across all revenue streams.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline 3rogerd

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #637 on: February 21, 2009, 12:07:28 AM »
just imagine if he is able to stay injury free and play all year, we havent had a money tree like this in years.

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #638 on: February 21, 2009, 01:09:25 AM »

Maybe they are just the excess stock leftover from the last 10 years of the Tivendale era  ;)

;D
Brilliant.   :lol
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #639 on: February 21, 2009, 08:40:49 AM »
I was quite sceptical about the club picking up Cousins but so far he's been far better than expected.
A long way to go but very impressed to date. :)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #640 on: February 22, 2009, 05:58:11 AM »
Traps for Ben Cousins' comeback bid
Jay Clark | February 22, 2009

TWO men who have been through comebacks have warned Ben Cousins his return to AFL football on Thursday "won't be easy".

Essendon's Adam Ramanauskas and Tim Watson suggested the reborn Tiger would face a challenging start adapting to a game that will have changed significantly in his season on the sidelines.

While Cousins has impressed in the pre-season, Watson said the Tiger's biggest test would come later in the season when his body fatigued and finals beckoned.

Watson, who, at 32, was two years older than Cousins when he came out of retirement in 1993, suggested the former Eagle might need to be rested at various stages through the season.

"I know that in 1993, by the end of the year, I was absolutely stuffed," Watson said.

"The longer that season went, the harder it was.

"Richmond will understand that, but people outside the club may not.

"So the challenge is how well you can back it up week after week, because it was not easy getting up for each game."

Cousins will emerge from a year in the football wilderness to make his anticipated Richmond debut against Collingwood in the NAB Cup quarter-final at Telstra Dome on Thursday night.

Sacked by West Coast and deregistered by the AFL, the recovering drug addict has been treated to a hero's welcome at Tigerland.

But, beneath the trademark Cousins confidence and cheeky grin, Watson said personal experience had taught him there could be some swirling uncertainty.

Watson, who retired in 1991 after 15 seasons but was cajoled into playing again in '93 and '94, said: "I did feel like I was starting all over again.

"There wasn't the nervousness of playing your first game, like being a wide-eyed youngster.

"But there was some self-doubt about coming back."

Ramanauskas experienced similar feelings about his return from two years out between 2005 and '07.

As the much-loved Bombers' figure overcame cancer - twice - and a full knee reconstruction, the game changed significantly.

So much so Ramanauskas thought many times the AFL mountain was too steep to climb on his second time up, as he struggled to adjust.

"There were lots of times coming back when I honestly wasn't sure where I was going as a player because I just couldn't grasp my position or role in the team," Ramanauskas said.

"Especially rotations - they had come in in a big way and I found that difficult because there were times when I couldn't get into the game.

"I was used to the days when you would just go out there and play a whole game.

"And the speed is the obvious one as well; the game was much faster.

"But no doubt there was a big tactical shift, too.

"Teams were hanging on to the ball differently, zoning had come into it and the skills I found had really improved.

"The game had gone to a new level."

But Ramanauskas, a 2000 premiership midfielder who retired last season after 134 games, was adamant Cousins's supreme fitness conditioning would hold him in good stead.

"He's still been able to train in the meantime, so his body is very sound - we've all seen how fit he is - and Ben Cousins is a true champion," he said.

Cousins was plagued by hamstring problems in his final season at West Coast in 2007, including badly tearing a hamstring muscle in the 2007 qualifying final against Port Adelaide.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25087490-19742,00.html

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #641 on: February 22, 2009, 10:54:06 AM »
The AFL are getting some good mileage out of Cuz as well.

There is the promo for the Collingwood game plus I just seen the promo for the season opener where it is totally focused on the Cuz vs Judd match up

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #642 on: February 23, 2009, 03:30:34 AM »
Ben redeemed
Herald-Sun Editorial | February 22, 2009

ONLY three months ago, Ben Cousins seemed finished as a footballer

He had suffered one ignominy after another.

There were the photographs of him addled - plummeting from grace.

There was the 2005 Brownlow Medallist's sacking from the West Coast Eagles at the end of 2007. There was his admission of substance abuse.

But with their final pick in December's pre-season draft, Richmond threw Cousins a lifeline.

At the Tigers' family day yesterday, he was presented with his jumper.

Thousands of fans gathered to watch.

He will play his first match as a redeemed man and fine footballer against Collingwood in the pre-season Cup on Thursday.

He has earned the best wishes of all football fans.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25091677-24218,00.html

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #643 on: February 24, 2009, 07:00:18 PM »
Caro also said on 3aw in regards to Cuz that it could be devastating which she toned down to bad for Richmond if he breaks down or worse transgresses in the next few weeks  ???. Healy said it would be disappointing not bad. The Club has made a $1 million out of him so how can it be bad.

She also said she can understand why St Kilda rejected Cousins and why Richmond picked him up when no one else wanted him and Cuz was on his last chance.

Ox

« Reply #644 on: February 24, 2009, 07:09:52 PM »
He'll be fine so long as he doesn't cop a bad injury.

Being a confessed drug addict myself  :help,i can imagine lying on a couch after a knee reco,
spooning grams of cocaine into my nose.......strictly for medicinal purposes but nonetheless,
making a pig of myself.

The other "worry time" will be the off season,other than that I'm convinced he will be fine.