Author Topic: BEN COUSINS [merged]  (Read 213453 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: BEN COUSINS [merged]
« Reply #1500 on: January 17, 2024, 07:05:17 PM »
Here's the video of Cuz at Punt Rd today:

https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC/status/1747414726802579739

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #1501 on: January 17, 2024, 09:40:45 PM »
Every time this thread bumps I think “oh no”

But he seems really well

Good on him if so

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1502 on: January 17, 2024, 09:42:41 PM »
I am absolutely stoked to see that footage. He should be an ornament to the game and I sincerely hope this latest recovery is permanent
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #1503 on: January 17, 2024, 09:43:30 PM »
I am absolutely stoked to see that footage. He should be an ornament to the game and I sincerely hope this latest recovery is permanent

Perfectly said

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1504 on: January 18, 2024, 12:09:37 AM »
So great to see
Unleash the tornado

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #1505 on: January 18, 2024, 09:54:14 AM »

Hear hear!

Imagine if we somehow got to see prime Dusty and prime Cuz on the same team...... :bow

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1506 on: April 18, 2024, 07:15:34 PM »
“I don’t like Richmond.

"I LOVE Richmond ❤️

"I will forever stay connected to the group,” - Ben Cousins on @Richmond_FC.

VIDEO: https://twitter.com/thefrontbar7/status/1780567196709867884

-------------------

BEN COUSINS ON WHY HE STILL “LOVES” RICHMOND

By Andrew Slevison
SEN
18 April 2024

After spending 2008 out of the game, Cousins was afforded a lifeline by Richmond who selected him with Pick 6 in the 2009 Pre-Season Draft.

He spent two seasons at the Tigers where he shared a locker room with the likes of Dustin Martin, Jack Riewoldt, Trent Cotchin, Shane Edwards, Alex Rance, David Astbury and Dylan Grimes, who would all become premiership players for the club.

Cousins’ gratitude was evident when describing his love for the Tigers and how he followed their recent premiership run with great joy.

“It was a really tough lead-up to getting picked up,” Cousins said.

“There were no guarantees that it was ever going to happen. I was the last pick in the last draft and I was super keen to get an opportunity to play.

“It came about at the death knock and I was just rapt to be playing footy.

“I don’t like Richmond, I love Richmond.

“I will forever stay connected to the group and the footy club because they played such an important part in my life which far exceeds football.

“But even from just a pure football sense, one of the great things to come out of not finishing up at West Coast was the opportunity to come here (to Melbourne) and play football.

“It wasn’t until I got in the fabric and lived here (in Melbourne) that I learnt to love the place. Richmond was a big part of that.

“We had some tough times on-field, but even after I finished up from afar to just sit back as a supporter and fan of the footy club to be on the ride with the Tigers. There were guys that went on to play in premierships and steer the club through a dynasty.

“To watch that from afar has been one of the great joys of my footy life.”

After 32 games across two years with Richmond, Cousins retired from the AFL in 2010 as a 270-game player and one of the most decorated midfielders of his era.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/04/17/ben-cousins-on-his-eagles-exit-harley-reid-and-why-he-still-loves-richmond/

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1507 on: April 18, 2024, 07:22:40 PM »
Seems to have finally turned the corner these past few years. Hope he can continue that way.

I know we got him at the tail end of his career and we were a crap side anyway but it was still cool to see a player of cuzs stature playing for us.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1508 on: April 18, 2024, 07:35:26 PM »
Well done Ben for finally getting your life back on track. I'm rapt for his family especially his folks

I posted somewhere in this thread how much Ben's family appreciated everything the RFC did for their son while he was at our Club.

I got to meet his folks, sensational people. I will never forget his father saying to me that he would be forever grateful to the RFC for giving Ben a chance and at the same time giving them their son back. Over the time Ben played for the RFC and a few seasons afterwards I'd see the Cousin's family at RFC games when I was in Perth. His Dad Brian would always come and say "hello" and we'd have a chat. Just a great bloke

Have to say Ben's Nanna's Chocolate cake wasn't too bad either  ;) ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1509 on: April 19, 2024, 09:18:38 AM »
It’s great to see him , living life on life’s terms , doesn’t deny his past and just looks happy now . Once a Tiger always a tiger.
I always felt he brought a bit of that wining culture from WC and we started to improve with his arrival.

Offline mat073

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1510 on: April 19, 2024, 12:57:50 PM »
I was so excited when Ben joined Richmond that I flew across the country to watch his debut against Carlton. The infamous Cousins vs Judd match . It was my first experience of the MCG .

We all know how that panned out 😂😂😂
Unleash the tornado

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #1511 on: April 19, 2024, 01:26:31 PM »
I was so excited when Ben joined Richmond that I flew across the country to watch his debut against Carlton. The infamous Cousins vs Judd match . It was my first experience of the MCG .

Haha. Oh boy.

I respect your commitment though!

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1512 on: April 19, 2024, 01:38:39 PM »

I was there and it was rough haha. People were yelling apologies at him for us being so garbage.

On the other hand I was also there for Judd's debut with Carlton and that was magic.

Judd's move had been hyped up so much and the heading of the article the following morning was something along the lines of 'On Friday night 85,000 fans turned out to see a superstar... And Judd was there too'. There was a great pic of Richo who I think had played his first game on the wing and kicked 5 goals lol. Magic.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1513 on: April 19, 2024, 02:13:40 PM »
good on him, sensational story.

Yes i was there also at the G.

My brother went to Punt road and was one those chanting "cousins for christmas" He is  mad carlton fan believe it or not but loved the story.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline mat073

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1514 on: April 19, 2024, 03:40:23 PM »

I was there and it was rough haha. People were yelling apologies at him for us being so garbage.

On the other hand I was also there for Judd's debut with Carlton and that was magic.

Judd's move had been hyped up so much and the heading of the article the following morning was something along the lines of 'On Friday night 85,000 fans turned out to see a superstar... And Judd was there too'. There was a great pic of Richo who I think had played his first game on the wing and kicked 5 goals lol. Magic.

Not to Nic pic , Richie did kick 5 against Carlton that night , but his move to the wing was against Fremantle a month or so later . Resulted in a 10 goal win at Subi . Pollack played full forward and looked alright- before his unfortunate accident.
Unleash the tornado