Author Topic: BEN COUSINS [merged]  (Read 214681 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: BEN COUSINS [merged]
« Reply #945 on: August 09, 2009, 07:42:28 PM »
Cousins' passion like Weightman: March
Sam Lienert
August 9, 2009 - 2:09PM

Richmond president Gary March says Ben Cousins brings the greatest passion for football of any player he can remember at the AFL club since premiership great Dale Weightman.

March lavished praise on Cousins, playing his 250th AFL game against Sydney at the MCG on Sunday and 12th with the Tigers, saying the Richmond hierarchy had also been stunned by how effectively he taught the club's young players.

He said it had been a risky decision to recruit the former West Coast skipper, premiership player and 2005 Brownlow Medallist, given his much-publicised battle with drugs, but said it had clearly proved to be of benefit to the Tigers.

"What struck me about Ben was his passion for the game," March said.

"I haven't seen anything of the likes of it for a long time, I'd have to probably go back to the Dale Weightman era.

"He just has a sensational passion for playing this game."

Rover Weightman played 274 games for the Tigers, including their last premiership in 1980.

But March said Cousins' teaching capability was the big bonus.

"A couple of weeks ago after we beat Essendon, I was down in the rooms and out of the public eye in the background, Jack Riewoldt had kicked six goals, Ben Cousins was probably talking to him for 15 minutes," he said.

"He was telling him what he had done well in the game but also how he could improve his game.

"I was also talking to young Andrew Collins. Andrew's really come on in leaps and bounds this year.

"I said 'You seem a lot more confident', he said 'I had a chat to Cuz. I'd just get so nervous before a game, I couldn't sleep, I just didn't have a routine'.

"Ben took him through a routine and now he gets to the games relaxed and his football's improving.

"He's constantly teaching our young midfield how to go about their game."

March said Cousins also taught by example the qualities needed to be a champion player, most notably a team-first approach.

"He's a Brownlow Medallist. The reason he is a Brownlow Medallist is because he's a selfless player," he said.

"The Richmond Football Club is better for getting Ben Cousins and I congratulate him on his 250th game."

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/cousins-passion-like-weightman-march-20090809-edym.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #946 on: August 09, 2009, 07:43:41 PM »
Gudinski explores options for Cousins documentary
Emma Quayle | August 9, 2009

BEN Cousins' long-awaited documentary is in the hands of leading promoter Michael Gudinski, and may eventually surface in the form of a feature film.

As Cousins prepared to play his 250th game against Sydney today, his manager Ricky Nixon told The Sunday Age that Gudinski, managing director of the Frontier Touring Group, was exploring all options for the documentary, including talking to the television networks and looking at a DVD release.

Filming on the project, which will document the Richmond player's drug rehabilitation, finished earlier this year and director Paul Butler said early last month that the film should be completed by the end of the AFL season.

Nixon said Gudinski, who he knows well and has partnered in some business deals, saw several possibilities for the film, which some have speculated could attract close to a $1 million deal.

“I know Michael's been talking to the networks about it, but he's looking at it not just as a television documentary, but potentially a feature film and maybe a DVD,” Nixon said. “I'm probably focusing more on making sure it stays within the rules of the AFL and doesn't land Ben in any hot water.”

Cousins' 250th match will be his 12th for Richmond, where he has averaged 24 possessions in his 11 games this season, and the 31-year-old is expected to be contracted by the Tigers for at least one more season, a deal he said this week would suit him.

“At 31, I am a year-to-year proposition and it is not a bad way to play your footy — playing each year as if it is your last,” said Cousins in his radio spot on Nova.

“It is certainly one way to stay hungry and get the best out of yourself.”

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/gudinski-explores-options/2009/08/09/1249756197548.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #947 on: August 12, 2009, 03:27:29 AM »
The reinvention of Ben
Fred Pawle | August 12, 2009 | The Australian

BEN Cousins coughs nervously and ums and ahs for a while before gathering his thoughts and reluctantly answering the question.

A question about his private life? His former drug use? No, it's about the documentary about himself that he has been making since February 2008, and is still working on.

The question is posed as part of an interview I did for GQ Australia, which is out tomorrow, and accompanies a smooth eight-page fashion shoot, taken in the Prince of Wales suite of the Windsor Hotel, Melbourne.

It's all part of the transformation of Cousins from the troubled star who in 2007 looked nonchalantly back at a cameraman as he was photographed shirtless and charged with drug possession in the back of a police car in Northbridge, Perth, to a clean-living, private, hard-working football star.

The new Cousins is extraordinarily candid about some things, cagey about others. Having divulged a few rudimentary details about the documentary before declaring the topic off limits, he happily moves on to his experiences with addiction, and manages to be funny, moving and articulate about it.

"It's easy to take the high moral ground," he says of his critics in the media. "I find it amusing. Very few people who have commented on my issue are probably in a position to do so with better judgement.

"I understand that my issue is very topical. Nearly everybody feels at some stage that they need to make an opinion about it or comment on it, and I'm not here to say they're not entitled to.

"A lot of the average people on the street identify with some aspect of what I'm going through. They've been great. The footy public and the public in general have been sensational."

He says there are flaws in the theory that sports people should be held up as role models, but nevertheless he’s better suited to the job these days. "Because you can kick a football doesn't mean you're any more equipped to deal with life on life's terms," he says. “But I do feel my ability to be a role model is bigger now than it has ever been."

Elsewhere in the interview, Cousins talks about the depression that enveloped him after all 16 AFL clubs rejected him in the national draft last November, and the frantic lobbying he embarked on to maximise his chance of being selected in the subsequent pre-season draft in December (which he was, by Richmond).

He says the people who exiled him throughout 2008 didn't realise they were compounding the problem by sending him on an enforced virtual holiday. "My idea of a holiday is what got me into this predicament," he says. "Idle hands are the devil's tools."

Exactly what happened during that year is the main focus of the documentary, which includes interviews with some of the biggest names in the AFL, including Kevin Sheedy and Mick Malthouse.

So when will we see it? "Hopefully in the next 12 months," he says.

Have you finished working on it? "It's hard to say. We might have to redo some things."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25914665-2722,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #948 on: August 18, 2009, 06:38:24 PM »
Ben Cousins back on his old stumping ground
Tim Clarke
August 18, 2009 - 2:32PM

Recovering addict and revered footballer Ben Cousins says he sees drug testers more than his loved ones, battles every day to keep his demons at bay - and is desperate to continue in the AFL next year to help rehabilitate Richmond as well as himself.

The former Eagles skipper and Brownlow medallist is one of the few successes in a wretched season at Tigerland, as he nears the end of a season that has seen him make headlines on and off the field yet again.

And two weeks out from an emotion-charged Friday night clash with the Eagles at Subiaco to end the season, Cousins has revealed he is in talks to extend his Richmond contract - and in constant contact with those making sure he is staying clean.

"I see them (the drug testers) more than my girlfriend and my parents, I have got a pretty good relationship with them now," Cousins said.

"I see all the same heads, they have a job to do - I understand the reason for that. And I have had a few hair tests throughout the year, and have not blown one up yet.

"It is a little ironic the last game of the year is back in Perth at the old stomping ground against West Coast.

"There will be mixed emotions with that … it will be a funny feeling playing against the old side on the old pitch. It will be interesting to see what sort of reception I get too."

Cousins’ return to Perth will be the completion of the full circle which began so devastatingly when he was first suspended and then sacked by the Eagles as his addiction spiralled out of control.

And the superstar says his battle is ongoing.

"It is a battle at times, and it is one of those things that require my attention every minute of every day," Cousins said.

"That is the nature of my predicament. With the negatives there are a lot of positives to come with it, some of those attributes that led me down that path made me a super good footballer.

"You can't take the good without the bad."

After being taken to Tigerland at the last possible chance, Cousins has battled back from a torn hamstring in round one to become one of Richmond's most influential - and says he believes he can have more influence there than at St Kilda or Collingwood, who both considered the disgraced star.

"Throughout the course of the year, I think I have got better as the season has gone on, and my body has got more accustomed to the rigours of AFL footy," Cousins said.

"I am not far away from where I would like to be.

"I think there is some huge benefits, and adds to some of the value I have at a club like Richmond. St Kilda and Collingwood for that matter are clubs that are in the middle of success and are running themselves.

"Richmond is a club that is in need of some players that have some experience on and off the field.

"I think I can have a bigger impact on the playing list at Richmond."

And the 30-year-old said talks had begun to extend the relationship, with the appointment of the new coach in the coming weeks the final factor.

"I'd love to play on, I am sitting down with the footy club last week and this week to hopefully come to some arrangement," Cousins told radio 6PR.

"It won't be ratified until the coach is appointed and if he does not have any drastic problems with me being at the footy club, hopefully I will play next year."

http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/ben-cousins-back-on-his-old-stumping-ground-20090818-eo00.html?page=-1

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Ramps

« Reply #950 on: August 18, 2009, 07:40:46 PM »
In five years time if Ben has stayed healthy he should coach Richmond. A big name, a winner at all levels.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #951 on: August 23, 2009, 05:10:22 AM »
Ben Cousins welcome in Eagles' nest
Kim Hagdorn | August 23, 2009

FORMER West Coast champion Ben Cousins will stride back on Subiaco Oval against his old club for the first time on Friday and could make another triumphant return to the Eagles' inner sanctum next month.

Cousins has been invited to West Coast's club champion voting and presentation function on September 11.

Eagles chief Trevor Nisbett wants the superstar rover to attend.

"He's a four-time club champion and a captain of our club and if he's available and he wants to come he's certainly welcome," Nisbett said.

"He's been extended an invitation and I expect he will weigh it up. It's been a pretty hectic season for him."

Nisbett could get an indication from Cousins whether he will attend his first Eagles occasion since he was sacked two years ago while he is in Perth next weekend after Friday's clash with his former club.

Nisbett called for a massive display of support for an improving Eagles team in the end-of-season clash against the Tigers.

West Coast suffered a humiliating 15-point loss to a Cousins-inspired Tigers in Melbourne in mid-June.

An impressive performance and a victory will be a launching pad to push back into finals in 2010, according to Nisbett.

"This gives us the opportunity to show the rest of Australia how much our guys have improved," he said.

"It puts them under more pressure as a team, which is good for the development of our guys.

"It's a terrific test for us and we're playing a team that beat us last time we played them, even though it was only by 15 points we didn't look like beating them in that game."

Nisbett expects a mixed reaction from Eagles faithful towards Cousins' homecoming.

The 2005 Brownlow Medal winner and one of the best in the 2007 Grand Final was sacked by West Coast in October 2007 after a series of misdemeanours, admitting he had a drug problem.

"I think Ben himself has said it; that what will be will be," Nisbett said.

"We'll get some sections of the crowd that will want to boo him and sections that will be cheering him, but I think most people will respect Ben for what he has done for our footy club."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25965552-19742,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #952 on: August 23, 2009, 05:14:28 AM »
One-way running a dead end
Ben Cousins | August 22, 2009

I PLAYED high half-forward at West Coast and having now played 13 games with the Tigers, I'm getting back to a similar role.

The position was less common when I played there in 2005-06.

I would start at half-forward, come in for the odd bounce, which still remains a buzz, and I would play as another midfielder.

By playing that role, I limited the time I got caught deep in defence, which, as an out-and-out midfielder, you have to be wary of. Too often, you can get dragged deep and your effectiveness can be diminished.

The most important ball in footy is forward of centre, and it is increasingly more important because of today's defensive strategies.

High half-forwards are in vogue - Alan Didak, Leon Davis and Tarkyn Lockyer all play that role at Collingwood - and it's because coaches want more players around the footy.

In every game, at stages, there are 36 players in one half of the ground. Incredible.

The role at West Coast came about because of the strength of the Eagles' midfield, rather than the game plan. With the emergence of Chris Judd, on top of Daniel Kerr, Tyson Stenglein, Dean Cox and Co, my role stretched the opposition.

They either had to send a Brett Kirk or a Cameron Ling to half-back - which was a win for us, because they were out of the centre square - or assign a regular half-back, who often wouldn't have the running capabilities of a midfielder.

If I got really lucky, they would let me go to keep their structure at the back. Overall, my role hasn't changed.

THE ROLLING ZONE

IN A nutshell, it requires players to push up to the ball and protect space. Remember those words: protect space.

Before my hiatus, West Coast enjoyed epic encounters with Sydney, which were largely played as one-on-one footy.

Then the Cats and Hawks put in zones, the most famous being 'Clarko's Cluster', which ultimately won the Hawks the flag.

Not so much on the day, when the Cats had 62 entries in their forward 50, but it was the cluster plus Buddy Franklin and a few others that got them into the Grand Final.

The rolling zone has created an enormous change to the game. I first saw it before I played in it.

It creates great pressure on the ball-carrier, who has to make right decisions because if you turn it over, it kills you. We see it every week in teams who crumble under the pressure to execute.

I don't like the zone because it has robbed the game of brilliant run-and-bounce players. I can't remember Juddy this year having two bounces, seeing him slice through a team.

Essendon, of course, is the exception. The Bombers are manic with the ball.

DEFENCE

THE biggest difference from then to now.

Players today do not survive if they run one way. There's nowhere to hide from the cameras, or from your coaches and teammates.

Team defence is paramount. At a stoppage players should have an understanding of their positioning, which side of the corridor to sit, where to protect and cover space.

Tackling is out of this world. I wonder if the fierce tackling in those Sydney-West Coast games kick-started the importance of tackling in the recent evolution of the game.

Those games were enormously physical, but football today is even tougher. In the 2005 GF, the tackle count was 62-59 Sydney's way and in 2006 it was 69-53 to Sydney.

In Round 18 this year, St Kilda nailed Hawthorn with 115 tackles. Amazing. The Hawks had 68. You have to tackle. Simple as that.

MEETINGS AND PREPARATION

THESE haven't diminished: rehab the morning after games, review meetings, midfield meetings, opposition meetings, physio, massage.

You name it, we have a meeting about it.

What has increased is injury prevention, which covers yoga, stretching, pilates and weights exercises, which are not necessarily about building mass or strength, but increasing flexibility.

They are core-stability exercises. In hindsight, I probably wasn't doing enough core work in the lead-up to the first game this year and my hammy went pow.

After that, they became a central part of my weekly program and the advantages are staggering.

Massages are interesting because I used to hate them.

I refused to have massages over summer because: (a) I didn't need them; and, (b) I'm not great at sitting still.

But once the season started, I'd probably have three a week. Now, it might be up to four a week, because I need them. The game is too demanding.

INTENSITY

THERE is significant increase in intensity, just going for the ball.

Joel Selwood, Luke Hodge, Max Rooke, Brett Kirk, Jonathan Brown, Jobe Watson, Nick Riewoldt, Chris Newman - they don't think, they just do.

Same with the second, third and fourth players in.

They throw themselves at the ball with reckless abandon. It means the time you have to get the footy and dispose of it, and dispose of it quickly in confined spaces.

It's about numbers at the contest. It's about the increased rotations and decreasing game time.

At the same time, a player's contribution and impact is not reduced. I used to play 88-90 per cent of game time at West Coast, now I'm playing about 78 per cent. I don't think it decreases my contribution, but it certainly increases my intensity.

At West Coast I'd come off once a quarter. My running was ballistic, I'd go for 13 minutes and in that time you could blow up your opposition with power running.

I'd rest for four minutes and go again. Now, I probably rest twice a quarter, but as the season has unfolded my length of time on the ground has expanded.

POSSESSION COUNT

NEVER have possession numbers been a less of an indication about how well you played.

Look at Andrew McLeod last Friday night. In the second quarter against Hawthorn he changed the game in the middle. He didn't rack up 12, 13 or 14 touches. He had eight and changed the game.

It disappoints me to see the high number of possessions in some games.

When St Kilda and Geelong launch their blitzkrieg, it is effective and exciting, but for sides who get possessions and don't execute or penetrate, it can be somewhat boring.

We have games in which 12 players might have 30-plus. Gazza has had, what, seven 40-plus games this season? It's remarkable.

Three years ago, it wasn't done. It was impossible. Today, if you know how to play the game, know where it's going and you are not tagged, it is easy to rack up big numbers.

Still, it's not the be all and end all. Take Leon Davis. He could have it 13 times and be best on ground.

Someone could have it 30 times (no names) and have no effect on the game. I know who I'd like to play with.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25962974-19742,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #953 on: August 25, 2009, 03:11:03 AM »
Knock-out blow like $5000 hit: Cousins
JAYNE RICKARD AND AAP, The West Australian
August 24, 2009

Ben Cousins has joked on radio that the concussion he received after colliding with Hawthorn star Lance 'Buddy' Franklin on Saturday night was similar to the effects of taking drugs.

Cousins was forced from the field for the remainder of the game after being knocked out by Franklin during the third term of the Hawks 42-point win over Richmond at the MCG.

He told Melbourne's Nova radio station this morning he had no memory of colliding with Franklin and hoped he did not have to go before the AFL tribunal this week to give evidence.

"I was a little vague…definitely vague and a bit sore and sorry after the game," Cousins said.

The recovering drug addict joked to hosts Dave Hughes and Kate Langbroek it used to cost him $5000 to "get in a headspace like that".

The former West Coast Eagle said he would "definitely" play against his old club at Subiaco Oval this Friday night despite his injury.

Cousins' trip to Perth to play against the Eagles, his club for twelve years, for the first time since his 2007 sacking is certain to be an emotional return.

Tigers caretaker coach Jade Rawlings told AAP on Saturday night former Fremantle Docker Graham Polak would also make the trip west.

Polak made a gutsy return to AFL over the weekend after suffering brain damage when hit by a tram last year.

Cousins also said he had begun discussions with Richmond about playing next season but had to wait until the Tigers appointed a new coach for any contract negotiations.

"I sat down and had some preliminary discussions with the club but I sort of have to wait the coach gets appointed," he said.

"Hopefully he doesn't have any drastic issues with me playing on so fingers crossed, looks like I'll hopefully be able to go round again."

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/mp/5852737/knock-out-blow-like-5000-hit-cousins/

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #954 on: August 25, 2009, 10:05:36 AM »
Not to sure how tasteful his '$5000 drug hit' comments were but I would love to see him around the club beyond his playing career, whenever that winds up, as a development coach. As long as he can maintain his resolve and determination to bring success to the playing group, he may well have the biggest influence on the development and future success of our young list more than anyone else.

It was a huge risk taking him, but it is these type of risks we need to take more of to lift ourselves above the rest of the competition.

Stripes

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #955 on: August 27, 2009, 06:25:26 PM »
Cousins 'absolutely terrific' at Tigers
Justin Chadwick
August 27, 2009 - 3:44PM

Richmond caretaker coach Jade Rawlings believes Ben Cousins' impact at the club this season has been as "profound" as any other AFL player over the past decade.

New Tigers coach Damien Hardwick is yet to make a decision on whether to retain Cousins next season but Rawlings said the former Eagle's recruitment to Punt Road had been an outstanding success.

Cousins will return to his former stomping ground of Subiaco Oval on Friday night to tackle the Eagles, who dumped him at the end of 2007 when his drug addiction spiralled out of control.

"When he first walked through the doors it was a bit of a rock star image, everyone was a bit overawed," Rawlings said in Perth on Thursday.

"But his contribution to this footy club is absolutely terrific.

"There have been some people involved in this club for up to 12, 13, 14 years who reckon what he's offered this club has been as profound as anyone.

"The new coach will make a decision on his future but I've enjoyed coaching him.

"I rate Ben Cousins extremely highly.

"He's been excellent in that (leadership) area without having an official title as such.

"We want to hear more from him because he does offer so much.

"He's got a lot of depth to what he says and the players ... love playing with him."

http://www.watoday.com.au/breaking-news-sport/cousins-absolutely-terrific-at-tigers-20090827-f10i.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #956 on: August 28, 2009, 03:43:43 AM »
Ben ends season flying back home
Ben Cousins | August 28, 2009

THE season ends with a game against West Coast and me flying back home.

It's ironic because I spent most of my career flying from or flying to Perth, and it's only since I've been at Richmond that I've realised what a torturous situation it can be.

I'm coming off seven weeks in a row playing at the MCG.

Coming from West Coast and knowing what a privilege it was to play on the MCG, the opportunity to play there has been one of the year's highlights.

When I was an Eagle, we used to play there in finals, and nothing will replace the Grand Finals but seven weeks in a row is footy heaven.

One of the disappointing aspects of the season was not setting ourselves up before we had our run of seven at the 'G.

As it was, we had a mixed bag, but still better than what many people would have thought -- we drew with North Melbourne, beat Melbourne and Essendon and lost to Collingwood, Hawthorn, Sydney and Carlton.

Let's hope we can finish it off tonight in what looms as a big game -- for the club and me.

The worst thing about my career with West Coast was playing interstate then legging it to the airport for the four or five-hour ride home every second week.

Twelve years I played at West Coast for 238 games, plus pre-season games -- about 140 trips, which equates to a lot of brain haemorrhaging.

People wonder why West Coast hasn't had too many players pushing 300 games, or late 200s.

Glenn Jakovich leads (276 games) from Guy McKenna (267).

The demands on the mind and body are simply too great.

As for Melbourne, I love it.

The luxury of having to fly once every four or five weeks has illustrated how big a job it was for us to win the flag.

People and players here don't have any comprehension of how difficult it is and it makes Mick Malthouse and John Worsfold outstanding coaches in my eyes.

You only have to make the flight in a holiday sense to say, Noosa or the Alice, and you get off the plane banged up, let alone after having run your guts out.

The psychological aspects of flying have been well documented, but what people don't factor in is how it eats into the time spent with wives, girlfriends, families and children, or whatever else you do to balance football with some sort of regular life.

Football travel can be stressful and you don't look forward to it: on and off buses, unloading bags, standing around, in and out of team hotels, back on buses, sharing rooms, plane delays, waiting in airport lounges. It's murdering me remembering that stuff.

The flip side of losing on the road is winning on the road and when a team eventually soaks in the experience in all matters travel, then it can keep the team together.

Players grow, confidence is transferable and suddenly negative vibes are replaced by a resilience - a kind of 'let's get over there and belt the living daylights out of them' resilience.

When I was captain at West Coast, I made winning on the road a priority. I was manic about it. To be successful you had to win away and, instead of fearing it, I wanted the team to embrace it.

I haven't been at an airport since I went to Carrara in Round 14, which seems like months ago, but I think Richmond is a pretty good travelling side and we're going to have to travel well to beat West Coast.

The Eagles are a vastly different side to the one I left. They have promising kids and are playing a different brand of footy than they were from the start of the season.

Plenty of people are critical of West Coast on the road, but it's worth noting it's equally difficult for opposition sides to win at Subi, other than the very best teams.

I played most of my career under those circumstances and it wasn't until West Coast became a powerhouse team that we could frequently win home and away.

As for me, our season culminates with tonight's game "back home" and I've been asked several times: How do you feel?

I'm not worked up about it, but it's a game I've been been looking forward to.

I'm curious to see the reception I get. I've got great memories of Subiaco Oval and the Eagles and I have a great sense of the occasion.

It's another test, and why I wanted to come back and play this year, to test myself.

The scrutiny or spotlight will be evident, but that's not an issue because it's been a part of my life for so long. Actually, I will enjoy every part of it.

I'm not going to need any incentive to get myself up, and win or lose, well, I have played enough footy to know that fairytales don't just happen - remember Round 1?

I just want to finish the season for the Tigers and myself.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25992505-19742,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #957 on: August 28, 2009, 03:54:03 PM »
Chivalrous Ben Cousins lends a hand to fallen TV journalist
August 28, 2009

OOOPS!: WA footy anti-hero Ben Cousins lends a helping hand to Channel Ten reporter Caty Price who went sprawling in front of the star as he weaved through a media scrum. Picture: Kerris Berrington

THE Ben Cousins show rolled into town yesterday and the returning superstar showed his chivalrous side, helping a fallen Channel Ten reporter to her feet.

Cousins, former West Coast captain, Premiership player, Brownlow Medallist and recovering drug addict, is still adored by thousands of WA footy fans.

And yesterday was no different when hundreds of "Ben fans'' turned up to Lathlain Park to watch their returning hero train with the Tigers.

Channel Ten sports reporter Caty Price provided a lighter moment when she toppled over in the media scrum as Cousins entered the ground, preparing for a light training run with Richmond before they take on West Coast at Subiaco Oval tonight.

The experienced sports reporter stumbled, going down backside first in front of the fast moving Cousins, who was looking as fit as ever, dressed in a singlet and black full-length training skins.

The Richmond star, who has dodged far worse in his glittering but troubled career - both on the field and off  - hestitated for a moment then graciously offered his hand and helped her to her feet.

The incident garnered a laugh from the media scrum -- and a slightly embarrassed Price -- but Cousins took it in his stride with that wide trademark grin.

Cousins has shrugged of a bout of concussion, courtesy of a Buddy Franklin hip and shoulder - which collected Cousins square on the jaw and knocked him out cold - to recover in time to take on his old club.

After a much-publicised fight back to health from drug addiction, Cousins endured a career-threatening hamstring tear in his comeback game with the Tigers.

But after five weeks off he has rebuilt his career as one of the stellar midfielders in the AFL.

Heading towards 31 next year he is hoping to be re-signed with the Tigers for season 2010 and extend his decorated, but troubled AFL career. 

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,27574,25993129-2761,00.html

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #958 on: August 28, 2009, 04:19:40 PM »

Her eyes seems to be fixed on the waist area of Ben.  :whistle
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #959 on: August 28, 2009, 04:59:34 PM »
The big story in Perth is whether to boo or cheer Benny lol .....

If the majority of opinions on the AFL fansite Big Footy, and West Coast forum "Eagles Flying High" are any measure, Cousins has nothing to worry about.

"If you boo Cousins as a WCE supporter you're an absolute moron and as plastic as you can get. Go support the Dockers because you clearly have no intelligence," one comment said.

"He's done a lot for the club, sure he left in disgrace but without him we'd have never been as successful for so long this decade."

Others believed an opposition player might be supported by the Eagles fans.

"I think the crowd will embrace Ben and I think he will embrace the crowd as well," wrote another.

"I would never ever boo our greatest ever player, I hope he has an absolute blinder and carves up - and that we win the game."

http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/cousins-wont-get-booed-worsfold-20090825-ey5j.html