Author Topic: Whats our recruiting staff pedigree  (Read 7363 times)

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Re: Whats our recruiting staff pedigree
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2010, 01:21:43 PM »
Best of luck to these dudes this time around

the claw

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2010, 12:04:29 AM »
oh deary me another who lacks the courage of his own convictions.
fj overall imo well simply put we should do better.
and for people to say that those recruiters at club level have no say into trades is beyond belief.bloody hell here we have people who we pay good money to look at young players strengths weakness and performance against peers and we arent going to ask them to give an appraisal on mature players now that would be amateuurish and very richmond.

Offline HKTiger

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2010, 04:47:20 AM »
.......fj overall imo well simply put we should do better.
and for people to say that those recruiters at club level have no say into trades is beyond belief.bloody hell here we have people who we pay good money to look at young players strengths weakness and performance against peers and we arent going to ask them to give an appraisal on mature players now that would be amateuurish and very richmond.

So recruiters are off watching multiple non-AFL games on a weekend, normally juniors and now they're supposed to watch the AFL and VFL as well.

There are clear roles and responsibilities for all in the football department.  The opposition/forward analysts and list analyst are there to provide input on/about opposition players.  If deemed suitable the recruiters will review and comment and rate vs other recruitment opportunities.

This has been made abundantly clear by the club.  I have been able to glean that from all the interviews etc. that OE and MT have posted.

Just like some who want to believe that DH controls all that is not the case.  The RFC more and more is becoming a well run club with clear accountabilities and responsibilities.  It seems some supporters can't grasp that.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2010, 12:29:40 AM »
It wasn't Francis' fault we traded for Jordie as higher powers decided on that disaster  :scream. He certainly wanted both picks 18 and 19 on 2007 draft day. Nor was it Francis' fault that he didn't have an extra top 20 pick last year plus an extra pick 4 this year because if those above him had been smart with their forward planning 4 wins in each of last and this year would've delivered us those priority picks. Did someone say the Club really wants Heppell but they reckon he'll be gone by pick 4? We only have ourselves as a club to blame in that case :P

Francis and the recruiting staff can only do their best with whatever draft picks they're dealt. If those choices are poor then yeah Francis deserves criticism but if those above him make idiotic trades and/or zero forward planning about draft strategies then blame them not Francis.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2010, 12:10:49 PM »
It wasn't Francis' fault we traded for Jordie as higher powers decided on that disaster  :scream. He certainly wanted both picks 18 and 19 on 2007 draft day. Nor was it Francis' fault that he didn't have an extra top 20 pick last year plus an extra pick 4 this year because if those above him had been smart with their forward planning 4 wins in each of last and this year would've delivered us those priority picks. Did someone say the Club really wants Heppell but they reckon he'll be gone by pick 4? We only have ourselves as a club to blame in that case :P

Francis and the recruiting staff can only do their best with whatever draft picks they're dealt. If those choices are poor then yeah Francis deserves criticism but if those above him make idiotic trades and/or zero forward planning about draft strategies then blame them not Francis.

so your reasoning is that jackson never saw any games that Mcmahon, Hislop or Thomspon or anyone for that matter played in prior to being drafted.

I dont buy it. It was a team effort that screwed that over for us. He is our recruiter is he not? well im sure he was observing Mcmahon prior to being drafted.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Tigermonk

« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2010, 12:19:52 PM »

so your reasoning is that jackson never saw any games that Mcmahon, Hislop or Thomspon or anyone for that matter played in prior to being drafted.

I dont buy it. It was a team effort that screwed that over for us. He is our recruiter is he not? well im sure he was observing Mcmahon prior to being drafted.

They knew what they were getting, your spot on daniel

the claw

« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2010, 11:29:36 PM »

thank you daniel exactly the point i was making.

the claw

« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2010, 11:37:41 PM »

dont preach to me about tanking ive copped plenty of poo advocating it  and not just this yr. it should be 4 and 6 this yr but hey we dont need it we are there.

as for FJ  hes been average at best and i most certainly think the club would expect him to have some sort of input into what ever player we bring to the club. but i will concede he may have been against mcmahon but i doubt it.

anyway here we are having this debate about whos responsible for what we have the sherman houli debate raging it makes one wonder about the processes we are going thru still.

Offline HKTiger

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2010, 02:10:47 AM »
You're posting as though the Houli and Sherman deals are done and fact, rather than Internet rumours and then basing your opinions of professionals on that.

Bizarre way of making a conclusion.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2010, 07:09:29 AM »

daniel which part of this don't you get?

FJ had no say in the club trading for McMahon, Hislop & Thomson - that is (to borrow one of Jack's favourite saysings) FACT. He didn't drafdt those players to the club they were traded to the club and their is massive difference

I know it does'nt suit you argument but it is none the less FACT.

Whack him for drafting decisions if you have to but not trade decisions.

He doesn't get involved in trades end of stroy. His job is to find the best kids and draft them with the picks he has available based on what the club tell him they want....

If it was up to him we wouldn't trade away one pick

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2010, 07:33:34 AM »
You're posting as though the Houli and Sherman deals are done and fact, rather than Internet rumours and then basing your opinions of professionals on that.

Bizarre way of making a conclusion.

Happens often. He also posts as if peoples opinions on internet forums somehow affects the decisions being made by the club.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2010, 08:18:24 AM »
no point getting upset untill after we trade away our picks..

the claw

« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2010, 11:20:43 AM »
.......fj overall imo well simply put we should do better.
 The opposition/forward analysts and list analyst are there to provide input on/about opposition players.  If deemed suitable the recruiters will review and comment and rate vs other recruitment opportunities.

This has been made abundantly clear by the club.  I have been able to glean that from all the interviews etc. that OE and MT have posted.

Just like some who want to believe that DH controls all that is not the case.  The RFC more and more is becoming a well run club with clear accountabilities and responsibilities.  It seems some supporters can't grasp that.
just as i said jackson would have some input into what mature players we get. this may not mke him solely responsible but responsible as a group.

and i agree on hardwick. miller  was the messiah and was not to be questioned so to we get the same thinking with hardwick by many.
i am one who has always questioned not just the coaches but the processes or lack of them the recruiters  the whole footy staff and apportion blame where it should be aimed. istill rant about the processes and our failure to follow thru on them yr in yr out.

i was one of few who wanted miller gone after just 1 draft. because he clearly could not see the need to rebuild the list and build the footy dept and find the best possible people for the many roles that needed to be filled .
especially in recruiting i have long advocated finance and run  this crucial area well and ignore all else if need be.

are we doing as you say getting good personel in all areas and importantly putting long term processes in place and sticking to them? well we will see. me im questioning it hence my presence on this thread.
 the so called improvement in all areas of the club has it happened. well  personally i cant see it  just yet. they are talking the talk but are yet to walk the walk. debt has actually blown back out to 5mil we finished 15th with the worst percentage in the comp and after one of the worst front halfs to a season by any club ever. the footy dept got its fair share of things wrong but all this is ignored lets all just stick our heads up our arses and pray.

it seems to me we have offered sherman a three yr deal it will in all likelyhood cost us our second rnd pick if it happens at all. the fact we are going thru this process at al,l and even sniffing  has me concerned about what if anything those in chargee have learnt.
yep i will jump up and down and bleat like a stuck pig just like jackson should have when pick 19 was offered up for mcmahon.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2010, 11:36:24 AM »
just as i said jackson would have some input into what mature players we get. this may not mke him solely responsible but responsible as a group.
On what basis can you make that comment? You have no idea and are purely speculating

the claw

« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2010, 11:54:33 AM »
On what basis can you make that comment? You have no idea and are purely speculating
lol.  yep im only useing a bit of common sense and speculating doing it.  if jackson our # 1 honcho whos main role is to assess talent look at strengths and weaknesses and performance against peers is not used in some sort of capacity or even asked his opinion on possible recruits it would indeed be amateur hour. just useing a little common sense i would fully expect the club to be useing jacksons knowledge or being labeled negligent. its a thing called due process and i would expect our club to go thru it.

any way as hk said. and i quote;  if deemed suitable the recruiters will review and comment and rate vs other recruitment opportunities.
this has been made abundantly clear by the club. end quote;
perhaps hk is just speculating as well.