Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 1076870 times)

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #2580 on: September 19, 2013, 07:06:21 PM »
Longer pls

id take longer and their first pick

Yep! Pick 7 and Longer thank you!

Martin and either McGuane/Nahas/Derickx as a sweeter!

gerkin greg

« Reply #2581 on: September 19, 2013, 07:07:09 PM »
Mayes Pls or GTFO

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2582 on: September 19, 2013, 07:17:53 PM »
Bye Bye Dust Bin. You wont see him back at Tigerland. Hope he gets smashed on the field.

more lata.  :banghead

tony_montana

« Reply #2583 on: September 19, 2013, 07:21:47 PM »
If its accurate that hes been offered 650k pa over four years I honestly wish him well. The way I see it, if he left for a little more then he's a selfish dumbarse, but cant knock a bloke who is being offered way more than we can offer. That's footy and that's life. Good luck, just get the trade done tigers!

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2584 on: September 19, 2013, 07:40:11 PM »
Dusty doesn't appear to have too many on his side:

Port Adelaide champion Warren Tredrea urges Richmond to part ways with star Dustin Martin

Warren Tredrea
    The Advertiser
    September 19, 2013 12:00AM

CUT Dustin Martin free and you won't look back.

That is my message to the Richmond Football Club.

On the field, Martin is a young star of the highest quality. Off the field, he is a ticking time bomb.

That’s why the Tigers must be ruthless and hold firm by not overpaying him.

As dominant and explosive as the 187cm, 89kg midfielder is, he has a lot of growing up to do.

With 86 games under his belt since being drafted at No. 3 at the 2009 national draft, Martin should be shooting to superstardom with 60,000 Tiger fans cheering his every move.

But late Monday it was revealed that he wanted to pursue offers from rival clubs.

In other words, he is chasing a huge payday.

I feel sorry for Richmond.

It has supported the erratic Martin through thick and thin.

It has paid him well above his market rate for the past few years and only now is Martin beginning to fulfil his part of the bargain on the field.

As brilliant as he is, Martin has lacked consistency and the Tigers’ offer of $1 million over two years is fair.

Martin should have signed on the dotted line as soon as that deal was put to him.

Martin’s fellow Richmond stars Jack Riewoldt, Brett Deledio and skipper Trent Cotchin have all re-signed at Tigerland for less money than they could have received elsewhere.

Apart from the money, you have to question what Martin wants out of football.

Richmond appears to be on the verge of something special, so surely "Dusty’s" best shot at winning a premiership is to stay where he is.

By putting himself on the open market, Martin has snubbed his club and teammates and shown that a flag might not be that important to him.

Every premiership team consists of players who could have earned more cash elsewhere.

But to be successful good players need to stay together, which means sacrificing money so clubs can stay under the salary cap and keep their best players.

If it’s all right for Riewoldt, Deledio and Cotchin to buy in, why not the other member of the "Core Four", Martin?

The gamebreaker is treating Richmond — a club which has done so much for him — with contempt.

Off the field, Martin is no angel.

He has a long list of off-field indiscretions which go back to his school years.

The Tigers have had to suspend him for failing to attend training sessions and have gone out of their way to keep him on the straight and narrow, including having development coach Mark Williams take him under his wing this year.

This appeared to have worked, with Martin enjoying a career-best season.

Staying at Richmond where the club has established a valuable support network for him could be vital in Martin fulfilling his potential.

I worry that his manager isn’t handling the situation well.

Ralph Carr is the same man who oversaw Travis Cloke’s public contract saga last year.

Someone needed to tell Cloke to bite his tongue rather than run a public commentary on his contract status, which inflamed his situation and put unnecessary pressure on the struggling big man.

Martin not only needs a manager who can negotiate a good financial deal but, more importantly, someone who recognises how good his client has it at Richmond.

With the former star Tiger and current chief executive Brendon Gale rebuilding the club, it appears destined for continued success both on and off the field.

Importantly, they have 60,000 paid-up members and major sponsors who have just recommitted, allowing the Tiges to invest heavily in their football department.

With regular support mechanisms in place for Martin, coach Damien Hardwick can’t do any more to help the excitement machine prosper.

Williams even tried to teach Martin life skills to help him better cope both now and in the future.

But Martin appears to have thumbed his nose at it all.

All for what, on the surface, appears to be about an extra $100,000 a season.

His decision is a poor one.

Hopefully Martin quickly comes to his senses and realises the grass isn’t always greener on the other side.

A quick reversal in attitude would give him the chance to still become a Tiger folk hero.

But Richmond needs a quick and clear answer.

Anymore toing and froing and it just has to cut its losses and set Martin free.

Actions speak louder than words and if the Tigers can pick up a top draft pick for Martin, spend the extra cash in their salary cap wisely and continue to create a strong culture, they could set up a decade of success.

One disgruntled player must not be allowed to undo all the good work the Richmond hierarchy has performed to get this proud club, which has been in the wilderness for so long, back into a position to contend for a flag again.

It’s time for a tough decision at Punt Rd.

http://www.facebook.com/l/QAQH6n8Gs/m.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/port-adelaide-champion-warren-tredrea-urges-richmond-to-part-ways-with-star-dustin-martin/story-fni5f9de-1226722248671

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
« Reply #2585 on: September 19, 2013, 07:41:51 PM »
The Jake Niall story about no interest from Carlton, Pies but especially Melbourne is extremely concerning. We needed the dees to be interested for an effective trade.
I am now desperately hoping he signs.
I hope Richmond don't get too cute with this talk of the contract offer reducing the longer Dusty takes to sign. Yes he is losing currency by the minute but we now run the risk of getting nothing for him.

gerkin greg

« Reply #2586 on: September 19, 2013, 07:49:00 PM »
Lions and Giants both bidding, we'll get a first round pick plus a young player taken in the first round from one of them

which is unders IMO but what the **** are you going to do

wait till the trade is done and then let all the skeletons out

THE ZOMBIES ARE COMING FOR YOU DUSTY

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
« Reply #2587 on: September 19, 2013, 08:06:52 PM »
A lot of people on here think that GWS are going to be quite benevolent when it come to trade negotiations. Why would they be? Stealing Dustin Martin in the PSD is exactly the type of mongrel that GWS need to show to themselves and to the rest of the league if they want to be a fair dinkum club, I wouldn't trust them.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2588 on: September 19, 2013, 08:08:17 PM »
A lot of people on here think that GWS are going to be quite benevolent when it come to trade negotiations. Why would they be? Stealing Dustin Martin in the PSD is exactly the type of mongrel that GWS need to show to themselves and to the rest of the league if they want to be a fair dinkum club, I wouldn't trust them.

Exactly

gerkin greg

« Reply #2589 on: September 19, 2013, 08:09:26 PM »
wont happen because we will take any trade over nothing

players only get to the PSD when their original club wont accept the trade terms

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #2590 on: September 19, 2013, 08:15:39 PM »
If its accurate that hes been offered 650k pa over four years I honestly wish him well. The way I see it, if he left for a little more then he's a selfish dumbarse, but cant knock a bloke who is being offered way more than we can offer. That's footy and that's life. Good luck, just get the trade done tigers!

Get him stuffed off ASAP and as The 'Kin said, let the skeletons out.

Good luck to whomever gets him, and better still, when the same scenario presents itself when his contract is up (if he is still playing) good luck retaining him.

"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline goodone

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2591 on: September 19, 2013, 08:18:01 PM »
Wow, wasn't aware of this forum.  Seems to be quite busy.  I'm looking for a new home as for weeks now my posts on another unnamed popular forum have to be approved by a moderator due to me jokingly questioning a certain board owner about their bias against Cotchin and undying love for Jacko.

I see a couple of ex-posters are on here.  Well all I can say is  :cheers 

Looks like Martin is gone, hey?

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #2592 on: September 19, 2013, 08:22:27 PM »

Exactly

Won't happen. Too simplistic a view of a complex situation.

Anyway, I'm almost praying for a trade to be done now. If not for 2 good youngsters in replace of one to add to our depth, the fact that he'll walk into either young club as virtually the king means he'll go off the rails faster than you can say white pony

"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2593 on: September 19, 2013, 08:23:11 PM »
Wow, wasn't aware of this forum.  Seems to be quite busy.  I'm looking for a new home as for weeks now my posts on another unnamed popular forum have to be approved by a moderator due to me jokingly questioning a certain board owner about their bias against Cotchin and undying love for Jacko.

I see a couple of ex-posters are on here.  Well all I can say is  :cheers 

Looks like Martin is gone, hey?

Welcome to OER best RFC forum going around, I will give you a brazillion rep points to start you off

gerkin greg

« Reply #2594 on: September 19, 2013, 08:25:07 PM »
yep must post pics of your brazilian - site rules