Author Topic: Luke Ball in PSD?  (Read 13437 times)

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Luke Ball in PSD?
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2009, 10:14:06 PM »
Ball can come for a two year contract at reasonable coin. Otherwise Melbourne can have him.

Offline 3rogerd

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2009, 10:19:58 PM »
steer clear.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2009, 11:29:13 PM »
My understanding is that in 2007 the commision changed the rules too:

Any uncontracted player by the end of October can nominate for the National Draft*

The negatives for someone like Luke Ball is that he'd potentially be on a salary of the equivalent of an 18 year old, unless negotiations were in place. This way he also risks being picked up by any of the 16 clubs.

If he elects to go into the Pre Season Draft. He is able to put a price on his head per year and roll the dice to see if a club will pick him up. More than likely the figure is quiete low unless negotiations with a specific club has been done to get him to that specific club and shoo away any other clubs wanting to pick him up for a bargain.

*Im pretty sure thats correct, there may be restrictions on players contracted that particular year*

So as it stands if he doesn't sign with St.Kilda he has no AFL club and needs to nominate for the National Draft and its a lottery who picks him up and where. If he decides not to do that he must go through the Pre Season Draft where he puts a contract on teh table for himself and a club has to draft him and agree to the contract he has proposed.

He will either sign with St.Kilda or he'll go through the pre season draft with a huge coin over his head and Melbourne will either pick him up with all the room in the SC they have left or he may slip to Collingwood who I think can afford him.
Go Tigers!

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2009, 12:18:57 AM »
Any player that has previously been on an AFL list can nominate a salary prior to the draft.
For example David Spriggs and Fraser Gehrig (after changing his mind on retirement) both did this, but there's been many others.
Its mentioned at the start of draft procedings that player # xxxxx has submitted their contract details and selecting him is acceptance of those terms

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2009, 10:53:42 AM »
A player like Luke Ball is unlikely to nominate for the ND

Most de-listed players nominate for the PSD only

I reckon he will end up at Melbourne
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2009, 11:23:18 AM »
Agreed, he's unlikely to go into the ND unless he thinks its the most likely way he'll get to his club of choice

PSD to Melbourne or he'll resign

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2009, 06:29:19 PM »
Let him go, I would be happy to pick up McDonald for nothing in the PSD. Quite frankly I belive Tucky is a better player then Ball anyway,he is certainly more consistant.

I t will be interesting to see who is available.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2009, 08:53:59 PM »
Let him go, I would be happy to pick up McDonald for nothing in the PSD. Quite frankly I belive Tucky is a better player then Ball anyway,he is certainly more consistant.

An extra experienced mid fielder would not hurt richmonds cause, unless that cause is to tank.  He has a habit of doing incredibly dangerous and foolhardy things on the field and getting injured, so I'm in two minds.  He wouldn't hurt, on balance I'd probably take him.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond hasn't ruled out interest in Ball (Age)
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2009, 06:36:42 AM »
But Richmond, which has the No. 2 pick in the pre-season draft, hasn't ruled out interest in securing Ball.

Tigers football manager Craig Cameron said yesterday that the club would meet this week to discuss whether Ball fitted into its criteria.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/demons-bait-to-lure-ball/2009/10/10/1255019653288.html

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2009, 12:10:02 PM »

An extra experienced mid fielder would not hurt richmonds cause, unless that cause is to tank.  He has a habit of doing incredibly dangerous and foolhardy things on the field and getting injured, so I'm in two minds.  He wouldn't hurt, on balance I'd probably take him.

Because he is trying to get the ball!

not looking around scratching his nuts like Tivendale, McMahon etc.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Richmond hasn't ruled out interest in Ball (Age)
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2009, 01:40:09 PM »
But Richmond, which has the No. 2 pick in the pre-season draft, hasn't ruled out interest in securing Ball.

Tigers football manager Craig Cameron said yesterday that the club would meet this week to discuss whether Ball fitted into its criteria.
http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/demons-bait-to-lure-ball/2009/10/10/1255019653288.html

So has "our process" now been replaced by our "criteria"  :rollin

« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 09:41:16 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2009, 09:30:01 PM »

So has "our process" now been preplaced by our "criteria"  :rollin
The new speak is definitely getting a workout isn't it lol.

After offloading Cogs because injury had reduced him to a slow struggling inside midfielder then I can't see Ball fitting our "criteria". Having said that if Melbourne want Ball then it's out of the RFC's hands anyway.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2009, 02:50:02 AM »
Im not a big fan of Luke Ball, but comparing him and Cogs is poo and sugar.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2009, 02:53:29 PM »

So has "our process" now been replaced by our "criteria"  :rollin

Such a load of wank

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers keep eye on Luke Ball (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2009, 03:50:31 AM »
Tigers keep eye on Luke Ball
Jon Ralph | Herald Sun October 14, 2009

RICHMOND has entered the race for disenchanted Saint Luke Ball, with the Tigers desperate to win his leadership skills as well as his football ability.

New coach Damien Hardwick has endorsed the club's decision, made on Friday afternoon after the club assessed its list after the trade period.

The club is aware Melbourne would be able to meet Ball's financial terms, but Richmond still has a powerful position to win a player in December's pre-season draft. Ball might prefer to slot into a Richmond midfield full of young talent, rather than be seen as the sole shining light in a Melbourne midfield that is exciting, but extremely raw.

The former St Kilda captain is travelling in America and has not yet made a decision on his future, or any potential new home.

Richmond chief executive Brendon Gale said yesterday the club - with pick No. 2 in the pre-season draft - would actively chase Ball when he returned from his holiday.

"He is an impressive bloke. We had a chat on Friday afternoon and if Luke Ball was available we would have a really serious look at him," Gale said yesterday.

"If he nominates for the national draft, we would be reserving those selections for kids, but in the pre-season draft it would be a real possibility."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/tigers-keep-eye-on-luke-ball/story-e6frf9jf-1225786845272