Author Topic: Richard Tambling threads [merged]  (Read 132420 times)

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tambling hypnotised: Hutchy
« Reply #480 on: June 21, 2009, 07:34:18 PM »
ive got it on good authority and is FACT that Huchty is sacked from his position with his current media outlet........

HUN? If true. :thumbsup

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tambling: Mind over chatter (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #481 on: June 28, 2009, 05:47:08 AM »
Mind over chatter
Glenn McFarlane | June 28, 2009

FOR a person who has had to endure almost as much on-field scrutiny as any other over the past five seasons, it's a wonder Richmond's Richard Tambling retains any sense of empathy.

But this week, in the middle of the most consistent form of his career, Tambling said he felt for Melbourne's Jack Watts, whose first-up efforts have been the subject of conjecture, despite only playing three games.

Unlike Tambling, 18-year-old Watts was a No. 1 draft pick.

The 22-year-old Tiger was a No. 4 selection, but came under intense assessment throughout the Terry Wallace years, largely because the man Richmond overlooked was chosen by Hawthorn a pick later, a kid called Lance Franklin.

That was clearly not Tambling's fault but, in many ways, it has been his burden.

"I copped it pretty much from day one," Tambling said. "Being an early draft pick puts pressure on you, just like Jack Watts now.

"I definitely feel for him. He has got to develop, and players develop at different times. Of course there are going to be others such as Daniel Rich and Stephen Hill who burst on to the scene and be better than Jack Watts. He just needs to be given some time."

Few players have been more victims of their placement in order of draft selection than Tambling. While his career at Punt Rd over 4 1/2 seasons, and 85 games, has been sporadic more than successful, it has been compared endlessly with that of the very different (in all aspects) frame of Franklin.

The endless comparisons, the pressure on him internally and externally, and the barrage of abuse he has copped on both sides of the fence may have crushed a lesser person.

For a time, too, Tambling worried the pressure might push him to breaking point. It affected his passion for the game he once played carelessly and effortlessly as a kid growing up in the Northern Territory.

He knows "Buddy" Franklin, but has not spoken to him about the subject.

And it is only now, almost five years on, he feels truly comfortable with his role in the game.

This is largely thanks to his rich vein of form over the past two months, the perfect balance of his life off the field and sessions of hypnotherapy he says cleared clearing his mind of the negatives.

"I copped it from the crowd, but also from the opposition, saying a lot of stuff about you," he said. "They try to put you off your game and get inside your head.

"Coming into the system as an 18-year-old, you don't know what to expect and you don't know how to react to things.

"With all the training, and the games, and with the club not being successful in those first couple of years, it did weigh heavily on me for a time.

"I sort of did wake up in the mornings, and think, 'Is this all actually worth it, is it going to happen for me?' I wasn't close to walking away from it, but it was pretty tough at times."

Tambling says this to emphasise how tough it can be for footballers who are on the wrong side of the scrutiny.

And he acknowledges he still has a long way to go to ensure he becomes a 10-year player.

A moderate performer in the club's woeful first-round loss to Carlton, Tambling missed the next game against Geelong with hamstring soreness.

He returned in Round 3 against the Western Bulldogs but turned in what he described as "a complete shocker", admitting he thought too much about the game and his role in it.

There was an excuse, though Tambling was loath to speak about it because he still believes it had nothing to do with his efforts that day.

He had had no sleep going into the game, having attended the birth of his daughter, Leah, the previous day. His son, Tyson, was born in Darwin three years ago while Tambling was training with the Tigers in Melbourne.

"She was worth one bad game," he said of Leah's birth in early April.

"I got dropped (to Coburg) and the spears and the knives came out after the (Bulldogs) game from the media and everyone else pretty much. I could have gone back and sooked, but I worked hard to get back into the team."

Tambling believes his turning point came when he played a strong team role within a modest tally of 16 possessions in the club's first win of the season, against North Melbourne.

"I didn't get the numbers in that game, but I did a lot of the team things," he said. "I got praised from the team and the coaches about it and it really gave me some confidence."

So, too, did his work with a hypnotist, who channelled Tambling's energy into recalling what made him such an elite player when he was the most sought after kid in the Northern Territory in 2004.

Part of it was the fact he needed to approach the game in a fun, positive manner, something that didn't come naturally to him after what he had encountered in his first few years in the competition.

"I had to talk to someone about getting my head right, about sort of going back to believing that I was actually a good footballer," he said.

"I've gone and cleared my head, and now I think about things differently."

The other thing driving Tambling is the support on the home front from his partner, Amy, and the love of his kids, Tyson and 10-week-old Leah.

"The family life is amazing at the moment," he said. "It is definitely a good balance.

"If you don't have things right off the field, then it affects your footy and, vice versa."

Tambling was determined to not let his form this season impact on his family life, as it could have.

If the Kangaroos game was his turning point, clearly last round's best-afield effort against West Coast was the high mark of his career.

Playing as a roaming half-forward given licence by caretaker coach Jade Rawlings to traverse any part of Etihad Stadium he wanted, Tambling set the scene with 14 telling disposals in the first term.

He had a massive first half before being tagged.

"Definitely the first half of that game was the best footy I've shown," he said. "Hopefully, I can have some more games like that."

Tambling's long-term plan is to become a more consistent footballer. "I am playing more consistent footy now, which I am happy about," he said.

"I am working harder and I am just going out there and trying to have some fun.

"It's been a tough year, but we just want to go out and enjoy our footy again. When you are losing games, you can forget about how much fun footy can be.

"You can tell when someone kicks a goal that no one goes over to him, whereas now we have the whole backline running to them now.

"We've all got behind Jade 100 per cent, so hopefully we can win a few more games this year."

Tambling said he felt for Wallace. "I feel a bit for Terry because he drafted me and he supported me a lot," he said.

"I will definitely speak to him before the end of the season."

For now, though, he wants to get behind Rawlings and keep his career on an upward path.

He knows he has to improve and has to become more consistent, or the AFL career that means so much to him could be over when his contract expires at the end of next year.

"The club has been behind me since I got here and they have always backed me," Tambling said. "They have given me chances that I might not have got at other clubs.

"I'd love to remain here for the rest of my career."

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/afl/story/0,27046,25699375-5016169,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Richie Tambling threads [merged]
« Reply #482 on: July 03, 2009, 08:42:10 PM »
It makes a change to hear Buddy getting bagged all week by commentators on the radio while Blingers is being praised. Franklin still has the runs on the board with a Coleman and a premiership medallion but thank gawd we don't have to hear all that Buddy vs Tambling crap ad nauseum anymore.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #483 on: July 04, 2009, 12:02:11 AM »
Amen, it makes you feel warm when quality people can show the recals that improvement can happen. Richie showed real leadership by  his comments.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #484 on: July 04, 2009, 10:21:26 PM »
The turnaround by Richie in the past two months is quite amazing and more importantly he's showing consistency to play at this new level. He went through his first 4 years hardly ever reaching 20 disposals and now he's pulling out 30 possie efforts. They're not just cheap dreamteam stats across HB either. He's setting up attacking and scoring opportunities with his run and carry. He's gone from being a maligned player to one where you're going I wish we had a few more like him.

Ramps

« Reply #485 on: July 04, 2009, 10:25:51 PM »
The turnaround by Richie in the past two months is quite amazing and more importantly he's showing consistency to play at this new level. He went through his first 4 years hardly ever reaching 20 disposals and now he's pulling out 30 possie efforts. They're not just cheap dreamteam stats across HB either. He's setting up attacking and scoring opportunities with his run and carry. He's gone from being a maligned player to one where you're going I wish we had a few more like him.

showing some decent leadership qualities. next Richmond captain is .... ?

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #486 on: July 05, 2009, 10:03:28 AM »

SIR RICHARD TAMBLING I

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #487 on: July 05, 2009, 10:13:45 AM »
Dont think i have been more wrong about a player.

He may just be the guy i think everyone wanted to be.

Best and Fairest at this stage is a formality for him if it were decided now.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Ramps

« Reply #488 on: July 05, 2009, 11:35:01 AM »

SIR RICHARD TAMBLING I

I agree but the knighthood is going over the top  :gotigers

Con65

« Reply #489 on: July 05, 2009, 01:09:07 PM »

Daniel - i generally dont like your posts...too negative for my liking....but it takes a big man to admit they are wrong.  Well done.

I agree re: B&F...I think he would now be edging ahead of Mr Jackson...real break out year for blingers...showing great consistency to his game.

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #490 on: July 05, 2009, 02:35:31 PM »

SIR RICHARD TAMBLING I

I agree but the knighthood is going over the top  :gotigers

the knighthood , just a bit of sarcasm

but really , RT has shown great signs not just on feild , but mentally.
he has had more pressure on him that any other kid in history and weathered the storm, he has helped the club enormously with indiginous programs and leadership.  only jack watts will probably feel the heat he has had in coming years

all of you who have spoken to ritchie as i have will know what i mean when when i say he is a genuine good bloke with a very mature head on his shouders

this kid not only has had to cope with the pressures of his drafting and development but also raising a young family, leaving his home and starting a new life. helping his younger brother with his issues on top of that.

he has copped it left right and centre and not many have given him credence for all his good work on and off the park.

ritchie has a head beyond his years on his shoulders and a work ethic that someone like deledio can learn from

its not uncanny that the kids that come from nothing and have to work their asses off to get what they want are the ones that become legends, and players born with a silver spoon(except hird) normally dont have that ethic and success

Ritchie must be our next captain as soon as next yr and i reckon sheeds will recognise this more than many

well done ritchie for never giving up

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #491 on: July 05, 2009, 03:04:06 PM »
WP was first on that bandwagon  :thumbsup. Not a silly suggestion either although at this point I'd like to see Blingers show this continual improvement for a sustained period (rest of this year and next) and see him cope with likely tags before he's truly considered as a candidate for the captaincy.

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #492 on: July 05, 2009, 03:13:33 PM »
WP was first on that bandwagon  :thumbsup. Not a silly suggestion either although at this point I'd like to see Blingers show this continual improvement for a sustained period (rest of this year and next) and see him cope with likely tags before he's truly considered as a candidate for the captaincy.

dig deeper and u may find someone else suggested this b4 wp and was very much ridiculed for it
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 04:13:18 PM by TigerTime »

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #493 on: July 05, 2009, 03:39:52 PM »

Good on ya Daniel
Welcome aboard the Ritchie Band wagon :thumbsup
Unleash the tornado

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #494 on: July 06, 2009, 01:05:12 PM »
By watching Hawthorn this year I think we are getting an insight on what kind of difference Buddy would of made at Richmond.

We may of played finals last year but overall I think we would still be a bunch of disappointed and frustrated supporters.

Unleash the tornado