Author Topic: Current players have committed to join Gold Coast  (Read 13490 times)

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Roos didn't hold back today on this ....

Paul Roos has called on the League and the AFL Players' Association to reveal the names of any players who have already signed with Gold Coast for 2011.

"My message is that if the AFL and the AFL Players' Association are saying that it's within the rules and there's nothing wrong with it, [then] come out and tell us who the players are," he said.

"If you're ashamed of it and you want to hide behind it, then obviously they think there's something wrong with it as well."

Having seen at close quarters the disharmony caused in the NRL when players announced mid-season that they would join an opposition club, Roos said the AFL should do everything possible to avoid that scenario.

Full article at:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/89673/default.aspx

The changing of rugby players mid season is a disaster the AFL can do without.  We should avoid it at all cost.

Fine change at the end of a season, but even then I'm not a fan of too much player movement.  It destroys the whole loyalty thing and will also make the competition uneven.  Footscray and the Dee's will suffer and quite possibly the tigers too.

Ramps

kudos to Paul Roos  :clapping

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
I don't believe it will happen either but for the sake of the argument losing a player who was pick 2 even for a top 5 pick means at best we'd be getting a similar quality junior in return but two and half years behind in development. So it sets the existing club especially one rebuilding back.

The AFL desperately wants these new teams up and running successfully on-field a.s.a.p. in their new markets. The likelihood of fair compensation for an exisiting club isn't set in stone.  
They don't nominate the actual pick, they either give you a pick at the start of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc rounds
You just have to nominate in advance which year you use it

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Well done to Roo's, great to see, if the rest of the Coach's stood up and said the same and pressured the GC an AFL we just might be able to sort this crap out. Not sure if this season is going to be anything other than dominated by politics of this nature..... boring.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Well said by Paul Roos.

If a player has committed to the Gold Coast surely someone even a family member would eventually blab. It's hard to keep things top secret in the AFL and especially so at Richmond.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
AND IT GETS BETTER......... ::)

Pick 26 for Gary Ablett?
* Mark Stevens
 * Herald Sun
 * February 19, 2010

GEELONG would have to accept a draft pick as low as 26 if it wanted immediate compensation for a successful Gold Coast raid on Gary Ablett.

If Ablett walks later this year, the Cats' compensatory pick in the 2010 national draft will have to be pushed back to the end of the first round.

With Gold Coast's raft of concession picks stretching the first round out to 25 picks, that leaves 26 as the magic number for a Ablett "freebie".

It is a scenario that will be difficult for Geelong fans to stomach, given the Brownlow medallist is clearly the competition's No. 1 player.

But the AFL's complex compensatory rules would also give the Cats a Plan B.

Geelong could decline to use the pick this year and store it away for use at any time in the following four years, potentially taking advantage of a better compensatory pick.

The Cats, believing they are still in the premiership window, could also trade pick 26 for a ready-made player.

The AFL's compensation formula, overseen by the AFL's salary-cap watchdog Ken Wood, will grade players at five different draft levels - first round, end of first round, second round, end of second round and third round.

Ablett, clearly, would be considered a premium first-round player.

But because the next two drafts will be compromised to allow birth to Gold Coast and Western Sydney, all elite "first-round" compensatory picks must be taken at the end of the first round in the 2010 and 2011 drafts to help give the new clubs a kick-start.

It means the Cats may have to be patient and wait to use their Ablett compensatory pick in 2012 or beyond when the drafts are freed up.

Under the rules, from 2012 all first-round compensatory picks can be taken immediately after a team's first pick.

If the Cats extraordinarily finished last in 2012, they would get pick No. 1 and then No. 2 for Ablett - as long as they flagged before the start of the season that would would use their compensatory pick.

Andrew Dillon, the AFL's general manager of legal and business affairs who has overseen the compensatory modelling, yesterday confirmed Wood would play the major role in rating players.

Wood will not subjectively rate players leaving for Gold Coast, but will rank them by factoring in salary, best-and-fairest finishes and original draft selection.

Dillon said Wood was charged with the responsibility as he was the only staffer with access to each club's salary list.

The AFL has already tested the formula, which is sure to be contentious, on 50 to 60 random players.

"We're pretty comfortable with the results it has shown," Dillon said.

There will be no option for clubs to appeal a player's rating under the formula.

"It's a pretty simple calculation. It will spit out what it spits out," Dillon said.

Clubs will inevitably complain that the compensation is not enough for losing players, but Dillon is confident it will be fair and equitable.

"I was part of the list establishment group way back when it started and I think the original proposal that was sent out to the groups in early 2008 didn't include compensation - that was something the clubs pushed for," Dillon said.

"I remember it being high on the list in West Coast's submission and for other clubs and I think it's a good thing to have.

"At least it provides something for a club that loses a player."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/pick-26-for-gary-ablett/story-e6frf9jf-1225831972227
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 02:04:15 AM by one-eyed »

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
So reading that article we could end up with a pick in the late 20's, 30's or even 40's for Cotchin should better players be available before him. Or, wait for the 2012/2013/14...... draft to get an earleir pick. This just keeps getting worse.

I don't think Cotchin will leave and we are working out his contract now but I would like to see it done and dusted before the season starts.

We don't really need this going on all year at our club at least.

"Rucks:

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
From 'rava' on BF...

all this talk opf cotchin leaving is absolute B****poo.
He has never wanted to leave victoria, and just bought a house in the northern suburbs where he is renting it out to my mate while he lives there as well. Speaking to him two days ago, he said its absolute garbage, and that he was told of the story in the age before the hawthorn game by richmond management. 100% he isnt leaving the club. He is also feeling pretty good with the body as well

http://bigfooty.com/forum/showpost.php?p=16912182&postcount=17

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
great news on the Cotch if he is fair dinkum.   On the Gold Coast / premiership package deal, what gets me is, what they are tallking aobut here is poaching out of contract players, these are people signing up up to GC without any compensation to their respective clubs, no trade or anything.  This is just pillage by stealth.  Every club should be demanding transparency on this, it is a bloody outrage, you can't have two sets of rules.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame

Wood will not subjectively rate players leaving for Gold Coast, but will rank them by factoring in salary, best-and-fairest finishes and original draft selection.

Dillon said Wood was charged with the responsibility as he was the only staffer with access to each club's salary list.

WTF?  For an action/issue that is likely to have a profound effect at a couple of clubs, surely there are checks and balances in place to make sure this guy gets it right!

Who minds the cops while the cops mind us????

And just to add my name to the Paul Roos fan club  :thumbsup.  The mid-season transfer action is a blight on rugby league - I would hate intensely to see it in our game.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Great news if Cotch has said privately all this speculation is rubbish.

Even if Ablett did leave, Geelong would be stupid to use their compensation pick this year. That's why the Herald-Sun has the overdramatic headline of pick 26. As Infamy said these compo picks can be used in either of the next 5 drafts. So Geelong would be better off waiting until after the compromised drafts had passed. By then most of their premiership stars will have retired and they'll drop down the ladder. If they do this smartly they could end up with two picks in the top 5 in say the 2013 draft (one normal early first rounder from finishing down the bottom plus the compo pick) and kick-start their next rebuild.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
According to Cotchin's manager via SEN, he isnt going anywhere and will be a Tiger for Life or for as long as Richmond want him.

http://bigfooty.com/forum/showpost.php?p=16915122&postcount=52

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Agree he wont be going anywhere. He doesn't want to go and we've invested alot and are about to see the rewards

And BTW you don't throw kids in the leadership group (Cotchin is there this year) if you think they are about to nick off  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Jacosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • No bish fish, the moon wasnt right.
Reading the guidelines, wouldnt geelong get an even lower pick for ablett? Ok he is one of the best in the game now and his salary would acknowledge that but. He has only won their best and fairest twice and he was taken at pick 40 under the father son rule.

there are factors to be typed into a program and it spits out a number that cant be bargained for this could effectively work out in GC's favour not Geelongs.

Offline 3rogerd

• Premiership Captain
the chimp is staying put.