Author Topic: Young stars free game: Sheedy (Herald-Sun)  (Read 9244 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Young stars free game: Sheedy (Herald-Sun)
« on: May 27, 2010, 12:22:32 AM »
Young stars free game
Jackie Epstein
Herald Sun
May 27, 2010

GREATER Western Sydney coach Kevin Sheedy says he has an obligation to lure young stars like Richmond's Dustin Martin to his club.

Sheedy said it was hypocritical of clubs to expect him not to chase the best young talent if they are off contract.

He said clubs have been signing the best teenagers from New South Wales on scholarships for years and should not complain now as he tries to build a list for the AFL's newest club.

"They've had first lick of the bowl so don't come whingeing and complaining about your kids," he said.

"We're getting the leftovers.

"He (Martin) would definitely be on a list you'd have to consider. If we don't, someone else will. We're within our rights and within the rules of what we've been told, to go after him.

"Don't get carried away with what we're offering (money wise). It's all about building a club and a team.

"I've said before that if you're unhappy at your club or wish to move don't re-sign (with your current club)."

It is believed Martin, 18, could reap $800,000 a season in a three-year deal at GWS.

Richmond president Gary March said clubs needed protection from losing players who had been taken with high draft picks.

March, whose club has already opened negotiations with Martin, said he was disappointed the expansion clubs were targeting first and second-year players.

"Richmond is in the big ball game now and for a long time any player off contract has been fair game," Sheedy said.

"Clubs have been into our 17-year-olds and telling them not to sign with us.

"So Brendon Gale said the Tigers didn't need help and the president is saying they do.

"Chief executive and president saying different things - sounds like Richmond."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/young-stars-free-game/story-e6frf9ix-1225871761745

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
Re: Young stars free game: Sheedy (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 12:30:28 AM »
Martin is 6 months into a 2 year contract. I'd like to know from Sheedy his definition of "off contract".
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 12:32:54 AM »
"Chief executive and president saying different things - sounds like Richmond."

GO AWAY KEVIN, the game has past you by and you can't handle it, get a fishing rod you bitter and twisted man. Your just peeed because we didn't even want to interview you!!
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 12:47:46 AM »
Would be happy for the RFC to strip Sheedy of his Hall of Fame status
The guy really has a vendetta against us. If he wants to be that spiteful against us then its time to wipe him from the RFC record books.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 01:00:00 AM »
Yeah he was all over us when he was our Ambassador or whatever he was, then in the lime light to "get Cuz" and then the rejection and now now the turncoat. Will the real Kevin Sheedy please stand up or don't you have the guts!!

Favourite saying of mine: "runs with the hares and hunts with the hounds", thats Sheedy IMO!!
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 01:03:38 AM »
still waiting for jack to come and defend sheedy, like he always does.

Been a bit quiet on this one eh jack? :whistle :whistle :shh :thumbsup :sleep :cheers

jackstar is back again

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 06:16:56 AM »

Been a bit quiet on this one eh jack? :whistle :whistle :shh :thumbsup :sleep :cheers

Its amazing how so many people want to slag Sheeds. :banghead
Remembering he instigated getting Cousins to Punt Rd which in turn boosted membership through the roof.
If and I say if Martin leaves Punt Rd, its RFC fault and nobody elses.
Grow up people

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 07:13:49 AM »

Remembering he instigated getting Cousins to Punt Rd which in turn boosted membership through the roof.
Grow up people
No Jack i believe you are wrong! Sometimes players leave purely for money(read-'greed')! And that is not the clubs fault. I don't think Dusty will leave as he seems to be well grounded and have the right supports in place here such as his father!
Kevin Sheedy has turned against the Tigers and he is taking it personally that he was not placed above the selection process when we were looking for a new coach!
I have lost massive amounts of respect for Sheeds!

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 07:25:49 AM »

:clapping without fail knew you'd bring out that old chestnut.

And I will keep asking you time and time again - who told you that Sheeds? One count 'em ONE phone call doesn't equate to instigating. Having spoken to someone who would actually know what happened (throw in one od these  ;) for good measure) You  may just find that the Sheeds version of events has been twisted to suit a purpose HIS

SHeeds had no problems taking his big fat pay cheque from the CLub last year. And when he was faced with having to go through the same process as every other person for the coaching job rather than have it handed to him on platter he spat the dummy, walked and has been sniping ever since.

Poor form from a very bitter man who seems to believe he is more important to the RFC than he actually is but hey isn't he isn't alone there

You are kidding right?

And i say if Martin does leave (which I will repeat he WONT be) then there will be alot of people to blame (read said player and manager for a start) but you can stick to just blaming the Club

Grow up people

Great idea  :P
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

jackstar is back again

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 07:43:53 AM »

And I will keep asking you time and time again - who told you that Sheeds? One count 'em ONE phone call doesn't equate to instigating. Having spoken to someone who would actually know what happened (throw in one od these  ;) for good measure) You  may just find that the Sheeds version of events has been twisted to suit a purpose HIS

SHeeds had no problems taking his big fat pay cheque from the CLub last year. And when he was faced with having to go through the same process as every other person for the coaching job rather than have it handed to him on platter he spat the dummy, walked and has been sniping ever since.

Poor form from a very bitter man who seems to believe he is more important to the RFC than he actually is but hey isn't he isn't alone there

You are kidding right?

And i say if Martin does leave (which I will repeat he WONT be) then there will be alot of people to blame (read said player and manager for a start) but you can stick to just blaming the Club

Grow up people

Facts of the matter are this.
And sorry for bringing up this old chesnut.
K. Sheedy flew to Perth and met with Ben dads and with Ben and discussed him return to football via RFC.
Terry Wallace and Gary March were not keen on the idea so Kevin rightfully or wrongfully canvassed other aspects of the RFC for the return to football for Ben.
Sheeds paid for the trip and had nothing to do directly with the RFC ( at the time )
Lets dont let the truth get in the road of a good story as you tell it.
Also you say that Sheeds got a big fat pay check??
K. Sheedy doesnt need the money, its has nothing to do with money with Kevin
Jamie.

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 07:58:40 AM »
Well if Kevin doesnt need the money then why spruik about him paying for his own airfare?
Sheeds is peeved at Richmond cos we did not bow to his pressure and break the process for him as he is incapable of standing up to the rigours of modern day interviewing for coaching positions! Today you game plans, people management skills, structural visions, football visions, mission statements etc. and i believe he could not provide them. Lets remember he missed out on the Melbourne job too!

Gigantor

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 08:10:18 AM »
leaving all the sheedy talk aside it is worrying that it appears CEO and Pres are not on the same page on this,it just ever so slightly adds weight to that image of RFC as not a truly professional organisation....this to me is at the heart of what is wrong with RFC

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 08:17:01 AM »
If we've had "the first lick of the bowl" as you so eloquently put it Kevin, then tell me exactly what good it does us if you come along and take the food right out of our mouth before we even get a chance to swallow it (to continue your metaphor)

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 08:35:46 AM »
leaving all the sheedy talk aside it is worrying that it appears CEO and Pres are not on the same page on this,it just ever so slightly adds weight to that image of RFC as not a truly professional organisation....this to me is at the heart of what is wrong with RFC

that line got lost in the whole article.

It just goes back to March being our president.

I dont think he is the man to take us forward to be honest.

Look what these kind of things have done to a club like Hawthorn this year. This club needs everyone on the same page

as for Sheeds well he can suck on my left one for all i care
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2010, 08:38:14 AM »

You are kidding right?

Grow up people

Facts of the matter are this.
And sorry for bringing up this old chesnut.
K. Sheedy flew to Perth and met with Ben dads and with Ben and discussed him return to football via RFC.
Terry Wallace and Gary March were not keen on the idea so Kevin rightfully or wrongfully canvassed other aspects of the RFC for the return to football for Ben.
Sheeds paid for the trip and had nothing to do directly with the RFC ( at the time )
Lets dont let the truth get in the road of a good story as you tell it.
Also you say that Sheeds got a big fat pay check??
K. Sheedy doesnt need the money, its has nothing to do with money with Kevin
Jamie.

fact is

kevin sheedy has lost all his credibility as a tiger

doesnt care about the tigers and never did since the day he left.

He would love to shaft all other clubs especially richmond by snaring martin, unfortunately for him, it wont happen.

The senile old fart wont even get to coach GWS, he is being used as a marketing man and he doesnt even realise that yet.

Its hilarious to watch