Author Topic: Australian Politics thread [merged]  (Read 794622 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Australian Politics thread [merged]
« Reply #6675 on: May 30, 2024, 07:54:48 PM »
yes and he was 100% wrong. Dutton and his stance on illegals, migration or criminals cant be questioned IMO. Gaybonese and his clowns have lost the plot.

Who was wrong? Dutton? If that's who you mean I don't quite see how you can suggest "his stance can't be questioned".

Reading and listening to news over the past few days I think it is reasonable to say he got alot wrong

Funny didnt see you have an issue when your mates under their watch released what was it 50 dodgy bastards? Albonese has refused to sack the minister in charge and funny how you dont want him sacked. Nothing to see there.

another cheap shot as usual. "my mates"? Give it a rest! any chance you can actually debate without making personal digs..anways...

as for the "50 dodgy bastards" being released. Are you talking about the detainees who had to be released under a decision of the HIgh Court that determined a law bought in under the previous government was illegal. Whether we like it or not and personally I don't the current govt had no choice but to release them.

What the current government has failed miserably at in this mess is using the new laws (which btw the Dutton Opposition troied to block) to put the scumbags offenders who have and continue to break the law back in jail. Not detention but jail or better yet just deport them.

also no issue with all the home invasions performed by some of these criminals under the beloved alp. Didnt see you mention that idiot in charge now or andrews should resign :shh

sorry but your rant makes little sense...Andrews should resign? What?

As for the crimes ..see my comment above

one of those 2 criminals Chuck was this guy. I see a month back gaybo tried to handball it on to WA and now its duttons fault. Everyone except his own.

https://www.afr.com/politics/federal/albanese-blame-shift-bid-on-released-detainee-alleged-home-invasion-20240430-p5fnm6

In his first comments on the case, Mr Albanese sought to shift responsibility to WA authorities as to why Mr Doukoshkan was at liberty.

“The first thing that I would say is that our thoughts, and I am sure the
thoughts of all Australians, will be with those who have been affected
by this,” Mr Albanese said.

“It is inappropriate to comment further, given it’s in the middle of the investigation by WA Police. The state bail schemes are run by the states, by definition, as well, but given the matter is under investigation before the police and the courts, it’s inappropriate to comment.”

Opposition Leader Peter Dutton said the picture of Mrs Simons was “horrific” as he called for Home Affairs Minister Clare O’Neil and Immigration Minister Andrew Giles to be sacked, which Mr Albanese rejected.

“What the government has done here has created a dangerous situation,” Mr Dutton said.

“You can’t be releasing these people into the community. They shouldn’t be out on the streets, and we’ve got bail applications being made by some of these [alleged] offenders [and] the Commonwealth is not even opposing the bail application so the person is being released.”

A federal police statement said the 45-year-old Sudanese man was granted bail after being charged with three counts of failing to comply with his curfew and one count of failing to maintain his electronic monitoring device in good working condition.

I hate to break this to you but the granting of bail or not granting of bail is actually a state responsibility. And Dutton was wrong in this case the COmmonwealth did oppose bail as did the police but courts granted him bail.

Finally, you speak of accountability and taking responsibility. Neither side takes responsibility for the mess that is our detention laws and visa laws. Both sides have failed.

The now opposition failed in passing a law that was never going to stand up in court but have no hesitation in blaming the current government for its failure and its over turning by the courts. Where's their accountability and admitting they stuffed up? All they do is finger point

Then we have the current government so slow in getting a laws in place to fix the mess the previous government left behind. Granted not helped by the opposition opposing the laws for the sake of opposing and dimwitted Greens living in some sort of fantasy world where we somehow owe these low life criminals more rights afforded to you and me. Then throw in a Minister so out of his depth it's embarrassing. So yes he should resign and if he wont do that then guess what the PM should sack him

I am so sick of pathetic political point scoring by both sides on something they should be working together to fix. Both sides are responsible for this mess and if you can't see that or are willing to acknowledge that then you are more blinded by you your hatred of the ALP than I thought possible
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6676 on: May 30, 2024, 08:10:01 PM »
No matter how you spin it Labor cannot protect our borders

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #6677 on: May 30, 2024, 08:17:10 PM »

;D
Yeah we're already going to vote for him mate, you don't need to keep selling it.....

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6678 on: May 30, 2024, 09:12:32 PM »

I don't think either of them can protect our borders.

Both sides more interested in political point scoring.

But whatever  ::)

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6679 on: May 30, 2024, 09:29:38 PM »
This thread is the cesspit of OER.

Should be permanently closed.

The AFL themselves are a great example of why you shouldn't mix politics into your sport.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #6680 on: May 30, 2024, 10:46:18 PM »

The AFL themselves are a great example of why you shouldn't mix politics into your sport.

Personally I think it’s the most interesting

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6681 on: May 31, 2024, 07:15:40 AM »

Personally I think it’s the most interesting

Days gone by I'd agree with you Damo

Some great debate/discussions over the years in this thread.

Not so much anymore

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6682 on: May 31, 2024, 09:44:17 AM »
LOL, society is stuffed

https://www.news.com.au/national/courts-law/criminal-sudanese-migrant-who-identifies-as-aboriginal-allowed-to-stay-in-australia/news-story/1f08d5cf4128e72f6994c8ac43667901

Criminal Sudanese migrant who ‘identifies as Aboriginal’ allowed to stay in Australia
A Sudanese migrant with a criminal record who “self-identifies” as an Aboriginal man was granted the right to stay in Australia.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6683 on: May 31, 2024, 10:03:50 AM »
sums up the alp. People have short memories with the whole bikie fiasco. Im sure it did more good than harm, despite our dusty bias.

https://www.afr.com/politics/federal/there-won-t-be-a-reshuffle-until-there-is-one-20240529-p5jhlj

In July 2008, about seven months after the Rudd Labor government was elected, a parliamentary committee visited what was then the recently constructed detention centre on Christmas Island.

Committee chair and Labor MP Michael Danby was agog at what he believed to be a waste of $396 million on an empty, 800-bed facility which he likened to a prisoner of war camp.

“I think all of us from the delegation are frankly flabbergasted about the enormous expenditure of public money by the previous government on this,” Danby said.

“It just looks like an enormous white elephant.”

Talk about famous last words.

Less than a year-and-a-half later, in November 2009, the centre, bursting with almost 1000 detainees, was being torn apart during what was the first in a series of destructive riots that would occur over the next few years.

A brawl had erupted between 200 Afghan and Sri Lankan detainees in which more than 40 people, including five staff, were injured.

On the same day, a boat carrying 58 people, including two crew, was intercepted 100 nautical miles north-west of Derby, Western Australia. It was the 45th boat to reach Australian waters that year.

Three months later, in February 2010, the Rudd government announced it would increase the capacity of the detention centre by another 2300 places. And on it went.

The trigger for this catastrophe? The decision by Rudd and his ministers, upon coming into government to abolish the Howard government’s Pacific solution which had successfully ended the surge in people smuggling in the early 2000s, and then enabled that government to preside over an orderly immigration policy.

When Labor under Anthony Albanese ousted the Morrison Coalition government in 2022, it said the lesson from 2007 had been learned. There would be no tinkering or otherwise with immigration policy.

Yet, it could not help pulling at one little thread. It succumbed to demands by New Zealand for Australia to stop revoking the visas and forcibly repatriating Kiwi citizens who had committed serious crimes in Australia.

There is no comparison in scale with Rudd abolishing the Pacific solution, but the politics are still potent.

The issue had become the most serious irritant in the trans-Tasman relationship and the Kiwis had a point.

In some cases, people who had come to Australia as babies or kids, who had no family or other ties with their country of birth, and who had learned to be criminals in Australia, were being dumped on New Zealand’s doorstep.

Scott Morrison refused to yield and absorbed all the anger his NZ labour counterpart Jacinda Ardern threw at him.

To this day, Peter Dutton, who was immigration minister at the height of the deportations, requires an around-the-clock, close personal security detail because of death threats stemming from the bikies he deported.

Albanese wanted to show he was not Morrison and would rebuild the bridge across The Ditch. He promised Ardern to stop automatically repatriating every New Zealand citizen and apply a degree of common sense.

To give effect to this, Immigration Minister Andrew Giles, in January last year, issued Ministerial Direction 99, under which the strength and nature of an offender’s ties to Australia must be considered when weighing up whether to cancel their visa, as well as risk to community safety and whether their crime involved family violence.

This applied to all non-citizens, not just New Zealanders.

Citing Direction 99, the AAT subsequently, in dozens of cases, overturned decisions to cancel visas, allowing rapists, paedophiles and domestic violence offenders to stay in Australia and, in many cases, reoffend.

Community safety
And this week, with the resumption of parliament, it became the latest immigration catastrophe to befall Giles and the government, as example after example of hideous acts perpetrated by people who otherwise should not be in Australia, were detailed with sombre glee by the opposition.

Finally, Giles announced Direction 99 was being rewritten to – lo and behold – give greater weight to common sense and community safety, raising fears in Wellington that deportations were about to begin again.

There is no comparison in scale with Rudd abolishing the Pacific solution, but the politics are still potent. Ardern, who quit after leaving her nation’s economy and her party’s political fortunes in smoking ruins, also bequeathed Albanese a stink bomb.

Not only has the latest ruckus put to the sword any prospect the government had left of trying to sell the virtues of its budget, but it has raised pressure on Albanese to reshuffle his frontbench, if only to shift Giles, who has struggled ever since last year’s High Court decision forced the release of more than 150 immigration detainees of dubious or criminal character.

Albanese has shown no sign of wanting to reshuffle and nothing is imminent. To move Giles, a close factional ally and member of his praetorian guard, could cause more problems than it would solve.

First, it would be regarded by his foes as an admission of culpability in that the deal with Ardern was flawed and second, who else would he move and why?

Most of the ministry is performing well and, as Albanese told the ANU’s Democracy Sausage podcast last week, having an unchanged ministry for the past two years has been an important show of stability.

More so, when contrasted with the political instability of the past decade and a half which resulted in so many ministerial reshuffles that there could have been a conveyor built between Parliament House and Yarralumla.

Reshuffles are like surgery in that the risk is pretty much all downside. Best avoided. As Tony Abbott used to say, those demoted or overlooked often become enemies and those who were promoted never thank you.

But that’s not to say Albanese doesn’t need to shake things up, either over winter or before Christmas, to give his team a fresh face for a second term and give a nod to the ambitious.

There is always a need to renew, but a reshuffle requires a trigger such as one or two existing ministers announcing they won’t be recontesting. That hasn’t happened yet.

Or, if the immigration portfolio continues to drag down the government. At the end of the day, Albanese, not Giles, is the opposition’s real target and the fortunes of the government are more important than those of the individual

If Giles has to be thrown to the wolves or shifted sideways as a circuit breaker, then so shall it be.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6684 on: May 31, 2024, 10:07:13 AM »
LOL, society is stuffed

https://www.news.com.au/national/courts-law/criminal-sudanese-migrant-who-identifies-as-aboriginal-allowed-to-stay-in-australia/news-story/1f08d5cf4128e72f6994c8ac43667901

Criminal Sudanese migrant who ‘identifies as Aboriginal’ allowed to stay in Australia
A Sudanese migrant with a criminal record who “self-identifies” as an Aboriginal man was granted the right to stay in Australia.

:dancing

This would be considered very funny if he wasnt a criminal.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #6685 on: May 31, 2024, 11:48:16 AM »
LOL, society is stuffed

:dancing

This would be considered very funny if he wasnt a criminal.

The world is completely fried
Absolutely comical

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #6686 on: June 03, 2024, 12:59:09 PM »
So what do people think of Josh Frydenberg's possible return to Federal politics?
Yeah we're already going to vote for him mate, you don't need to keep selling it.....

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6687 on: June 03, 2024, 01:12:18 PM »
So what do people think of Josh Frydenberg's possible return to Federal politics?

Absolute no from me haha

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #6688 on: June 03, 2024, 01:46:52 PM »

Absolute no from me haha

Anti-semite...  :thumbsdown
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6689 on: June 03, 2024, 04:41:37 PM »
what does he think of it is the question, and he isnt interested.