Author Topic: Australian Politics thread [merged]  (Read 766684 times)

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Australian Politics thread [merged]
« Reply #270 on: June 22, 2011, 02:13:14 AM »
WP I wouldn't class opposition changing leaders as knifing. You are clearly trying to make it seem to be on the same level as what Labor did to Rudd. We all know opposition go through leaders when they don't click with the public like Labor did when they was in the wilderness for a decade.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #271 on: June 22, 2011, 06:59:16 AM »
WP I wouldn't class opposition changing leaders as knifing. You are clearly trying to make it seem to be on the same level as what Labor did to Rudd. We all know opposition go through leaders when they don't click with the public like Labor did when they was in the wilderness for a decade.

tiger101 understand your point and certainly replacing a leader while opposition is not seen as being as "serious" as changing leaders in govt but it is still knifing

It is knifing because when a week before you challenge you say I fully support the leader and wont be challenging and the said leader doesn't see the challenge coming it is a knifing whether you are in govt or opposition

Sorry but Tone knifed Turnbull, just like Howard did to Downer, Keating did to Hawke, Gillard did to Rudd etc  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #272 on: June 22, 2011, 08:08:26 PM »
Well I must applaud the labour federal government on banning bank exit fees.
 :thumbsup  :cheers  :clapping :clapping  :clapping

I can only hope they don't sting us on other fees or charges.  :pray
The club that keeps giving.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #273 on: June 22, 2011, 10:21:43 PM »

And a  :clapping for Senator Fielding too as his days in the senate come to a close, he backed this legislation and helped get it through because honest Tony and the opposition opposed it in its current form, as they wanted to only relate to exit fees charged by the big 4 banks and not any other lending institution
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #274 on: June 22, 2011, 10:43:38 PM »

And a  :clapping for Senator Fielding too as his days in the senate come to a close, he backed this legislation and helped get it through because honest Tony and the opposition opposed it in its current form, as they wanted to only relate to exit fees charged by the big 4 banks and not any other lending institution

Monthly Account Keeping fees will return as will $1000 application fees currently waived by most lenders.

Bookmark it.

Nice try Swan but im affraid its going to matter very little. Fees will come back bigger and better

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #275 on: July 02, 2011, 02:54:16 AM »
Who needs scientific and economic experts?! Poor old Tony doesn't when they tell him what he doesn't wants to hear :stupid.

Opposition Leader Tony Abbott has criticised Australian economists for supporting a carbon tax and a market-based emissions trading scheme as planned by the Federal Government.

But high-profile economist Saul Eslake has hit back, saying Mr Abbott's problem is that he cannot find an Australian economist who will support his "direct action" policy.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/07/01/3258962.htm?section=justin
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #276 on: July 02, 2011, 08:04:44 PM »
How about the tax imposed on Richmond supporters and members.
Its called the FTF. stuffing tragic fund.
Pay up help the club invest your time and effort and watch garbage served up with a smattering of phone calls adverts and media releases that will only serve the purpose of breaking your heart again and again and again.

Makes the carbon tax look like a lolly tax.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #277 on: July 05, 2011, 11:46:27 AM »
Looks like we'll find out all the Carbon Tax details this Sunday.

How about the tax imposed on Richmond supporters and members.
Its called the FTF. stuffing tragic fund.
Pay up help the club invest your time and effort and watch garbage served up with a smattering of phone calls adverts and media releases that will only serve the purpose of breaking your heart again and again and again.

Makes the carbon tax look like a lolly tax.
:lol

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #278 on: July 05, 2011, 06:15:35 PM »
Gillard already dodging questions by waiting to announce it after parliament finishes up for there break and not recalling it next week to debate it.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #279 on: July 05, 2011, 07:51:57 PM »
It wouldn't matter what policy the Government released on any issue, Abbott would/will just oppose it for the sake of opposing it (even if some policies were originally Liberal party ones ::) ). So it's pointless and a waste of time extending Parliament for an extra week.

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #280 on: July 05, 2011, 09:22:45 PM »
It wouldn't matter what policy the Government released on any issue, Abbott would/will just oppose it for the sake of opposing it (even if some policies were originally Liberal party ones ::) ). So it's pointless and a waste of time extending Parliament for an extra week.

Most policy actually passes both houses unopposed like the Budget. They only differ on main policies like Carbon Tax.

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #281 on: July 06, 2011, 03:44:21 PM »
China’s increased coal usage in the last decade has stopped global warming, according to a new study.

The US-Finnish study claims that increased sulphur emissions have acted as a coolant, NineMSN reports.

Study leader, Boston University professor Robert Kaufmann, said he conducted the study which states that no steady rise in temperatures between 1998 and 2008 disproves global warming.

"Nothing that I had read that other people have done gave me a quick answer to explain that seeming contradiction, because I knew that carbon dioxide concentrations have risen,” he said.

The study identified the burning of coal, particularly in China, as the reason behind this.

According to the study, as the coal burns it emits sulphur, which stops solar rays from reaching the earth.

Kaufmann explained that there has been precedent for his theorem, when greenhouse gases emissions rose dramatically following the reconstruction and economic boom after World War 2.

“What happened was at the same time, sulfur emissions increased very rapidly, thereby cancelling much of the greenhouse gas effect,” he said.

The study stated that global temperatures only began to rise in the 1970s, after developed nations began to reduce sulphur emissions.

However between 2003 and 2007, global coal consumption rose, with China consuming more than three quarters of the output.

But since then the nation has taken steps to curb its pollution emissions, such as installing coal scrubbers to control dust emissions.

"So we already see temperatures starting to increase again. It rose in 2009, it rose in 2010 and that may be one reason for that increase."

Despite apparently linking coal and a reduction in global warming, the study did say that it burning coal contributes to problems such as acid rains.

Kaufmann said using sulphur to battle global warming is like saying “we’ll pick our poison”.

"You could certainly make that argument, but I don't think many people would view that as a very satisfactory solution, especially if it meant living in a very polluted atmosphere like in China," he said.

Co-authors of the report included Michael Mann, a member of the UN scientific panel whose landmark 2007 report warned that climate change was unequivocal and mostly caused by humans

http://www.miningaustralia.com.au/news/burning-coal-stops-global-warming-study-claimsc

Interesting. No doubt the lefty's will call this false data like they do with anything that they don't agree with.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #282 on: July 07, 2011, 12:00:43 AM »
Given it's from a research paper by the main climate change scientists (Kaufman, Mann et al) it has cred and shows they aren't the "alarmists trying to take over the world" loopy neo-cons claim them to be. I'm sure the Andrew Bolt types will still be busily twisting what the research paper says and claim this is 'proof' from the chief climate scientists themselves that AGW isn't happening and it's all a hoax :sleep. As the paper says the west went through a similar phase post WW2 up to the 1970s where smog was countering AGW until we cleaned up the smog for health reasons and the AGW became evident as the dominating factor. China given their more recent surge in economic growth likewise now wants to clean up the smog choking their major industrial cities.

2009-10 has seen global temp. head up again so it still means we need to reduce our CO2 emissions. Acid rain is hardly a 'cure' for AGW.

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #283 on: July 07, 2011, 05:42:45 PM »
MT you would be pretty upset with 500 of the biggest polluters now getting off in this watered down policy that will not do anything to save the planet from global warming that will flood the earth or dry us out like Mars.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #284 on: July 07, 2011, 06:56:36 PM »
China’s increased coal usage in the last decade has stopped global warming, according to a new study.

The US-Finnish study claims that increased sulphur emissions have acted as a coolant, NineMSN reports.

Study leader, Boston University professor Robert Kaufmann, said he conducted the study which states that no steady rise in temperatures between 1998 and 2008 disproves global warming.

"Nothing that I had read that other people have done gave me a quick answer to explain that seeming contradiction, because I knew that carbon dioxide concentrations have risen,” he said.

The study identified the burning of coal, particularly in China, as the reason behind this.

According to the study, as the coal burns it emits sulphur, which stops solar rays from reaching the earth.

Kaufmann explained that there has been precedent for his theorem, when greenhouse gases emissions rose dramatically following the reconstruction and economic boom after World War 2.

“What happened was at the same time, sulfur emissions increased very rapidly, thereby cancelling much of the greenhouse gas effect,” he said.

The study stated that global temperatures only began to rise in the 1970s, after developed nations began to reduce sulphur emissions.

However between 2003 and 2007, global coal consumption rose, with China consuming more than three quarters of the output.

But since then the nation has taken steps to curb its pollution emissions, such as installing coal scrubbers to control dust emissions.

"So we already see temperatures starting to increase again. It rose in 2009, it rose in 2010 and that may be one reason for that increase."

Despite apparently linking coal and a reduction in global warming, the study did say that it burning coal contributes to problems such as acid rains.

Kaufmann said using sulphur to battle global warming is like saying “we’ll pick our poison”.

"You could certainly make that argument, but I don't think many people would view that as a very satisfactory solution, especially if it meant living in a very polluted atmosphere like in China," he said.

Co-authors of the report included Michael Mann, a member of the UN scientific panel whose landmark 2007 report warned that climate change was unequivocal and mostly caused by humans

http://www.miningaustralia.com.au/news/burning-coal-stops-global-warming-study-claimsc

Interesting. No doubt the lefty's will call this false data like they do with anything that they don't agree with.

I doubt it tiger. perhaps you should read what is actually being said.

there is no claim that co2 emissions don't cause global warming, just that sulfur emissions counter it.

as the author of the paper himself says

Is picking parts out of a study and taking it out of context to suit your view just a right wing fascist thing?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI