Author Topic: Australian Politics thread [merged]  (Read 766582 times)

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
Re: Australian Politics thread [merged]
« Reply #1215 on: October 25, 2012, 05:43:30 AM »

More proof of what a lying bastard Abbott is...

Cost of carbon tax less than estimated

Date  October 25, 2012

THE carbon tax has boosted the cost of living scarcely at all. Despite dire talk of an ''almost unimaginable'' increase (Tony Abbott) and $100 for a Sunday roast (Barnaby Joyce) the first official consumer price figures show a far lower impact than predicted by the Treasury.

Last July, Treasury said the tax would push up the consumer price index 0.70 percentage points, adding $9.90 per week to average household costs. In return, households were given compensation averaging $10.10 per week.

But 0.70 percentage points looks like being an overestimate. Inflation figures for the September quarter - the one that encompasses almost all of the electricity and gas price rises - show them adding 0.44 points to the CPI. It's a big figure, but not that much bigger than the usual September quarter slug.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/national/cost-of-carbon-tax-less-than-estimated-20121024-285se.html#ixzz2AF9DMJri

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #1216 on: October 25, 2012, 02:22:30 PM »
Looks like the Government was on a winner with the mining tax.  :lol whoopsie!! They sure didn't see the impact that falling revenues would create.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #1217 on: October 25, 2012, 02:41:37 PM »
Looks like the Government was on a winner with the mining tax.  :lol whoopsie!! They sure didn't see the impact that falling revenues would create.

Didn't Abbott say the tax was grossly unfair on the poor mining companies?

:lol

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1218 on: October 25, 2012, 03:10:14 PM »

What is unfair is the government promising us a surplus based on the revenue generated by a mining tax. I can hear Wayne Swan's calculator working overtime on this one.
Surely 65 you must agree that it is foolhardy to estimate a surplus based on such a volatile market no matter who is in charge.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #1219 on: October 25, 2012, 04:20:31 PM »

What is unfair is the government promising us a surplus based on the revenue generated by a mining tax. I can hear Wayne Swan's calculator working overtime on this one.
Surely 65 you must agree that it is foolhardy to estimate a surplus based on such a volatile market no matter who is in charge.

Honestly who gives a fat rat's proverbial, most economists are saying that a suplus isn't necessary.

It's all politics.

The important thing is to keep Abbott out of office.

:cheers

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1220 on: October 25, 2012, 04:41:32 PM »
65 you just can't see the forest for the trees can you.  ::) You are worrying too much about your next door neighbour's barking dog and completely ignoring the fact that your house is being eaten alive by termites.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #1221 on: October 25, 2012, 04:56:01 PM »
65 you just can't see the forest for the trees can you.  ::) You are worrying too much about your next door neighbour's barking dog and completely ignoring the fact that your house is being eaten alive by termites.

There is a barking dog "Bob" next door and I have just had the hose checked for termites.

As for forests and trees, I have never quite got that one.

:thumbsup

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #1222 on: October 25, 2012, 05:00:05 PM »

"The carbon tax will mean the end of the coal industry" Tony Abbott

One of the world's largest coal mines gets go ahead

October 25

The Planning Assessment Commission has approved one of the biggest open-cut coal mines in the world in north-west New South Wales.

Whitehaven's Maules Creek Project, near the Leard State Forest, will extract 12 million tonnes of raw coal a year.

Whitehaven expects production at the mine to start mid-2013, with operations predicted to last around 30 years.

Managing director Tony Haggarty says stringent environmental conditions have been applied by the commission.

He says the mine will be good for the region economically and good for the state.

"It's one of the best coal developments in the world," he said.

"It's a large reserve, it's very good quality. It's the sort of coal that is in demand in the market place and because the reserve is large and because it has a long life there will be a significant area of land involved."

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1223 on: October 25, 2012, 09:22:39 PM »
Are you Kim Beazley 1965?

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #1224 on: October 25, 2012, 09:38:15 PM »
Are you Kim Beazley 1965?

Kim is a big man.

Me not so much.

:cheers

gerkin greg

« Reply #1225 on: October 26, 2012, 09:31:11 AM »

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1226 on: October 26, 2012, 03:16:57 PM »

It more an attack the poster response at the moment.

:lol     :lol        :lol
    :lol     >:(    :lol
  :lol     :lol      :lol    :lol

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #1227 on: October 26, 2012, 08:38:29 PM »

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1228 on: November 28, 2012, 05:40:57 AM »
Q. What does a pollie do when their approval rating in the polls is at an all time low because they are always negative?

A. Get your deputy to make a dill of themself for you instead :wallywink.

It must be a record for a leader of the opposition to just sit there and not ask the Government a single question over two days of parliament. Abbott has gone from chicken little to just plain chicken ;D. Surely the Libs will have to wake up that this idiot is going to cost them the 'unloseable' election. Like Latham was for Labor, Abbott is just unelectable.

ps. Nice to see our taxes being spent discussing the issues that affect us the Australian people which the pollies are meant to be representing - not!  ::)  :sleep.   
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1229 on: November 28, 2012, 08:55:29 AM »
you want to see whats going on up here.

we have a treasurer that by her own admission in "not good at maths"  :o

a party that has just icreased utility prices by 30-40% meaning on average a family will have to find $2000 extra a year, not to mention the increase in goods and services as business pass on the extra cost.

My first thoughts were that that the govt doesnt care about the financial hurt this will cause to families, business and ultimately the economy, but hearing the treasurer on the radio the other day, it was apparaent they have not even considered it.

A butcher rang up and said that he would probably have to close one of his shops and when asked for a reply the treasurer was silent, ummed and arred and the best she could come up with was, "well if its any consultation  it brings us into line with other jurisdictions".

The lack of a prepared answer means that such an affect had not even crossed their mind.

The chief minister has said it would be unfair to bring in the price hikes in increments  :huh3

and this from a party whose election platform was to reduce the cost of living
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI