Author Topic: Australian Politics thread [merged]  (Read 766673 times)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Australian Politics thread [merged]
« Reply #1560 on: July 23, 2013, 09:16:33 AM »
1965 do you actually stand for anything or do you only hold anti-Abbott views. You seem to fit the latter to me.
You'll be waiting a while for an answer on that one T101. 65 is all Egress.

Sorry been busy.

I can tell you one thing I stand for...

A solution that will stop people dying at sea.

:cheers

We had one.  Shame on the morons who thought they knew better and dismantled it.  A thousand souls would probably beg to differ with their 'wisdom'.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #1561 on: July 23, 2013, 10:36:23 AM »
1965 do you actually stand for anything or do you only hold anti-Abbott views. You seem to fit the latter to me.

Sorry been busy.

We had one.  Shame on the morons who thought they knew better and dismantled it.  A thousand souls would probably beg to differ with their 'wisdom'.

You are a fool if you actually believe that crap.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #1562 on: July 23, 2013, 11:22:23 AM »

Sorry been busy.

Why? It was in place and operating effectively. (now waiting for a diatribe on the Tampa)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1563 on: July 23, 2013, 12:12:02 PM »

Sorry been busy.

Believe what?  That we had a solution that was working or that a thousand souls have been lost?

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1564 on: July 23, 2013, 12:14:07 PM »

Sorry been busy.

Why? It was in place and operating effectively. (now waiting for a diatribe on the Tampa)

I don't think I'm a fool and I agree with Smokey & tiga, we had a policy that worked, Howard and his govt got it right. the ALP under Rudd got it wrong when they dismantled it
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 01:57:21 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #1565 on: July 23, 2013, 12:47:36 PM »

Have a read and learn some facts.

http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/3886792.html

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1566 on: July 23, 2013, 01:17:31 PM »

Sorry been busy.

I don't think I'm a fool and I agree with Smokey & tiga, we had a policy that worked, Howard nad his govt got it right. the ALP under Rudd got it wrong when they dismantled it

If Rudd had his time over again even he wouldn't dismantle it only the truly rusted on such as 65 would argue over this.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1568 on: July 23, 2013, 03:47:09 PM »

Have a read and learn some facts.

http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/3886792.html

Lol.  More facts from that bastion of objective and unbiased reporting - our ABC.   :lol

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1569 on: July 23, 2013, 03:59:29 PM »
They are probably more objective than any commercial media, but what the article says is that under howards policy less asylum people arrived by boat and more by air. So the policy was successful at stopping people getting into leaky boats for a dangerous journey and therefore dying at sea, which is what 65 asked for.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1570 on: July 23, 2013, 04:18:40 PM »
They are probably more objective than any commercial media,

We will have to agree to disagree with that one Al.  I believe they are nothing more than a mouthpiece for Leftist dogma - at least you will get some articles espousing both sides of politics in the private media, even if the particular organisation generally leans one way or the other.

but what the article says is that under howards policy less asylum people arrived by boat and more by air. So the policy was successful at stopping people getting into leaky boats for a dangerous journey and therefore dying at sea, which is what 65 asked for.

And yet '65 argues that Howard's policy didn't work.  Go figure.

Here's a fact that is relevant to me, regardless of which side of politics you support:

Almost every single refugee that arrives here does so after passing through other countries first.  As soon as a refugee transits through 1 or more countries before arriving at a final destination then they have ceased to become a refugee in my eyes and are nothing more than a queue-jumping country shopper, and are deserving of no preferential or priority treatment.  A genuine refugee fleeing political or religious persecution does not need to continue a journey through several countries who are UN member states and are signatories to the UNHCR Refugee Convention.  Why should we compromise our national security and increase the burden on our economy to assist people who choose to break the legal and moral barriers to live here?  I have no problem with admitting people from any country in the world and our country is certainly far richer for the multi-cultural influences we have but I refuse to accept that we must cut corners and lower standards for checking the bona-fides of any immigrant.  We owe this to ourselves and our children who will inherit this country after we have passed on.  We don't owe Indonesia, Malaysia, PNG, Nauru or any other neighbouring country a damned thing when it comes to looking after our self-interests first.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1571 on: July 23, 2013, 04:45:48 PM »
Here's a fact that is relevant to me, regardless of which side of politics you support:

Almost every single refugee that arrives here does so after passing through other countries first.  As soon as a refugee transits through 1 or more countries before arriving at a final destination then they have ceased to become a refugee in my eyes and are nothing more than a queue-jumping country shopper, and are deserving of no preferential or priority treatment.  A genuine refugee fleeing political or religious persecution does not need to continue a journey through several countries who are UN member states and are signatories to the UNHCR Refugee Convention.  Why should we compromise our national security and increase the burden on our economy to assist people who choose to break the legal and moral barriers to live here?  I have no problem with admitting people from any country in the world and our country is certainly far richer for the multi-cultural influences we have but I refuse to accept that we must cut corners and lower standards for checking the bona-fides of any immigrant.  We owe this to ourselves and our children who will inherit this country after we have passed on.  We don't owe Indonesia, Malaysia, PNG, Nauru or any other neighbouring country a damned thing when it comes to looking after our self-interests first.

:clapping :clapping :clapping

Well said Smokey, well said
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #1572 on: July 23, 2013, 10:21:00 PM »
Brilliant Smokey  :clapping :clapping :clapping

I think you just schooled the schoolie!  ;D

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1573 on: July 24, 2013, 12:24:35 PM »
Let them in

Sif we don't have enough room

Rudd wants votes nothing more
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 12:58:38 PM by Bentleigh-esque »

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #1574 on: July 24, 2013, 12:50:24 PM »
Another interesting read

Right has twigged that Abbott may be on shaky ground

Date July 24, 2013 

Alan Stokes

Oh be still my bleeding heart!

As a compassionate person, I am not supposed to find joy in the misery of others. But I regret it has been satisfying to watch the compliant commentariat of the right squirm as they see the certainty of an Abbott government vanish before their eyes.

Besides the shock, a Kevin Rudd victory would force the Liberals to accept Malcolm Turnbull as leader and remake their party.

No wonder Rudd scares the wits out of the anti-Labor media lackeys and the business-funded think-tanks. It is not because Rudd will deliver government to the leftie bovver boys or the inner-city elites; it's because he will not.

Should Rudd fulfil his promises on asylum (that's possible), education (probable), the economy (yep) and crucially, party reform (good starts but needs to do more), he will have an impressive mandate.

The right knows Rudd plans to redefine what Labor represents, just as Tony Blair did with New Labour which denied the British conservatives power for almost a generation. Here, Rudd threatens to destroy the business model of the anti-Labor rhetoricians and their Coalition heroes.

If Rudd succeeds and Abbott loses the unloseable election, issues will have to be assessed on their merits, not through the distorted left-right, elite-egalitarian prism so popular in some circles.

Shifting discourse into the middle where most Australians reside would disenfranchise the vested interests and their cheer squads.

The right commentariat celebrations about Julia Gillard's demise had barely subsided when it dawned on them: Rudd poses a much greater threat.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/comment/right-has-twigged-that-abbott-may-be-on-shaky-ground-20130723-2qhfc.html#ixzz2ZvXuUtAD

Edited: No need for the cheap shot (read snipe) 1965
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 01:33:20 PM by WilliamPowell »