Author Topic: Australian Politics thread [merged]  (Read 766609 times)

Gigantor

Re: Australian Politics thread [merged]
« Reply #1575 on: July 24, 2013, 06:10:18 PM »
I pretty much stand in the middle of the political spectrum.but was just wondering whether the ABC appears left because just about every other media outlet is to the right of centre.People call the AGE a left leaning publication ,but I struggle to find another.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1576 on: July 24, 2013, 06:17:29 PM »
Both major parts are fairly right

Not far off fascism if palmer or Hansen get in

Gigantor

« Reply #1577 on: July 24, 2013, 06:39:52 PM »
Do we have left and right anymore,or do people care more about issues.On say they boat people they might appear left leaning but on economic issues they might appear more to the right.I wonder whether today people think more about individual issues rather than have the convenience of one size fits all

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1578 on: July 24, 2013, 06:42:00 PM »
I pretty much stand in the middle of the political spectrum.but was just wondering whether the ABC appears left because just about every other media outlet is to the right of centre.People call the AGE a left leaning publication ,but I struggle to find another.

The ABC doesn't 'appear' Left G, it is completely Left and especially so in the TV sector.  All their news and panel shows are almost completely staffed by Left-leaning commentators and it spoils what should be vibrant and healthy 2-sided debate on national issues not tainted by vested private interests.  As for print, the Courier Mail in Brisbane also leans to the Left but has a loud enough slice of the Right to provide a balance if you go digging.  I agree with you on the Age and I have a memory that the Hun used to lean the other way but I don't read enough of it nowadays to have a valid opinion.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1579 on: July 24, 2013, 06:46:33 PM »
Do we have left and right anymore,or do people care more about issues.On say they boat people they might appear left leaning but on economic issues they might appear more to the right.I wonder whether today people think more about individual issues rather than have the convenience of one size fits all

I tend to agree with this observation - my perception is that the swinging vote is larger now than it ever was in my younger days.  It all seemed to fragment around the time that Don Chipp formed the Democrats and the Greens became a force.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1580 on: July 24, 2013, 06:49:16 PM »
IMO labour right

liberal far right

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1581 on: July 24, 2013, 06:50:57 PM »

The ABC doesn't 'appear' Left G, it is completely Left and especially so in the TV sector.  All their news and panel shows are almost completely staffed by Left-leaning commentators and it spoilus what should be vibrant and healthy 2-sided debate on national issues not tainted by vested private interests.  As for print, the Courier Mail in Brisbane also leans to the Left but has a loud enough slice of the Right to provide a balance if you go digging.  I agree with you on the Age and I have a memory that the Hun used to lean the other way but I don't read enough of it nowadays to have a valid opinion.

If the ABC is slightly left it is far outwayed by almost all media and political party that is right

The hun is very right, imo

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1582 on: July 24, 2013, 07:04:18 PM »

If the ABC is slightly left it is far outwayed by almost all media and political party that is right

If the ABC is "slightly left" then the rest of the Australian political journalistic spectrum is a hard core version of Facism!   :o :o :o

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1583 on: July 24, 2013, 07:24:45 PM »
ABC radio isn't that bad

Ruanaidh

« Reply #1584 on: July 24, 2013, 07:39:01 PM »
IMO labour right

liberal far right
Yes Bent's and both have a 'collectivist' mindset.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1585 on: July 24, 2013, 08:16:22 PM »
I agree with you on the Age and I have a memory that the Hun used to lean the other way but I don't read enough of it nowadays to have a valid opinion.

HUN is very much right with one columnist in particular so far right that it's hard to take much of what he says seriously anymore

Actually would suggest all News Limited publications are right leaning in a massive way
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Gigantor

« Reply #1586 on: July 24, 2013, 08:41:39 PM »
The Bolter WP?

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #1587 on: July 24, 2013, 09:07:57 PM »

HUN is very much right with one columnist in particular so far right that it's hard to take much of what he says seriously anymore

Anymore?

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #1588 on: July 24, 2013, 09:38:44 PM »
|_______ABC___AGE__|_ALP_LNP________HS_|

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1589 on: July 24, 2013, 09:42:23 PM »
ABC radio isn't that bad

Agree Bents, more objective than their other streams.