Author Topic: Australian Politics thread [merged]  (Read 775871 times)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Australian Politics thread [merged]
« Reply #2655 on: August 17, 2014, 09:54:48 PM »
The worst PM in my lifetime has been Fraser. Failure to accept modern reforms at the time lead to an Australia economy driven into the dirt by 1982, double digit unemployment (which doubled after he took over from Whitlam), 21% interest rates, a hidden budget deficit, etc.

He inherited a basket-case economy MT.  And to clarify, I'm not a Fraser fan in any way shape or form.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2656 on: August 17, 2014, 10:48:49 PM »
The worst PM in my lifetime has been Fraser. Failure to accept modern reforms at the time lead to an Australia economy driven into the dirt by 1982, double digit unemployment (which doubled after he took over from Whitlam), 21% interest rates, a hidden budget deficit, etc.

He inherited a basket-case economy MT.  And to clarify, I'm not a Fraser fan in any way shape or form.
It had nothing to do with Whitlam. 1982 was not 1975. Andrew Peacock saw the writing on the wall and challenged Fraser but Fraser survived as PM. Even Howard (who was treasurer then) blamed Fraser in later years for opposing reform and the Liberal party even now admits the Fraser years were wasted. It took Hawke & Keating to modernise the Australian economy and kill off the high "inflationary dragon" that had dominated the Australian economy since the late 60s.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2657 on: August 18, 2014, 08:05:38 AM »

It had nothing to do with Whitlam. 1982 was not 1975. Andrew Peacock saw the writing on the wall and challenged Fraser but Fraser survived as PM. Even Howard (who was treasurer then) blamed Fraser in later years for opposing reform and the Liberal party even now admits the Fraser years were wasted. It took Hawke & Keating to modernise the Australian economy and kill off the high "inflationary dragon" that had dominated the Australian economy since the late 60s.

Have no problem with what you say about Fraser doing little on his watch to reform but he most certainly did inherit a basket-case economy.  Whitlam's govt ran up debt levels to an unsustainable level, just like Rudd and Gillard did.  It wasn't fixed until the Hawke/Keating govts but Fraser didn't cause it, he just didn't help it.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #2658 on: August 18, 2014, 09:40:33 AM »
Interesting comparison between this government and Whitlam's in 1975.

A message to Joe Hockey and Tony Abbott: I want my money back

August 11, 2014

Nicholas Stuart

Tony Abbott will probably receive a brief polling bounce after his return from Europe. Yet his playing consular cop hasn’t advanced our national interest one iota and he’ll soon return to issues that can’t be sorted out with a brief photo-op and anodyne questions. The real problem Abbott faces is the person he’s left behind to sort out the biggest issue he faces: passing the budget.

Tomorrow it will be three months since Joe Hockey strode purposefully into a room packed full of expectant journalists to unveil his budget. Since then he’s alternated between bombast – warning everyone to take their medicine,  cajoling – encouraging us that if we have our medicine things will get better,  and simply relaxing – wandering off overseas and not worrying about who’s taking their medicine. About the only thing he hasn’t done is anything to ensure his budget will actually pass the Senate. The last time a government was this incompetent at guiding its financial measures through parliament was 1975; that didn’t end well. Nearly 90 days post-release and the country still doesn’t have a budget. “Sloppy Joe” is living up to his nickname.

At some point the shuffling will have to stop.

Or perhaps not. Maybe Hockey has given up. Perhaps it’s all a bit too hard. His attitude seems to be that he’s decided the dose and, eventually, everyone will have to swallow their medicine, like it or not. If so it seems the Treasurer hasn’t being paying attention.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-opinion/a-message-to-joe-hockey-and-tony-abbott-i-want-my-money-back-20140811-102nhs.html#ixzz3AhBji5Nf

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #2659 on: August 21, 2014, 07:05:58 AM »

Bents, provide a link for it or it gets removed

You know the rules :banghead
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 07:07:56 AM by WilliamPowell »

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2660 on: August 21, 2014, 07:07:02 AM »
Some say his comments were fotcedt - yet why would a man about to be decapitated go along with it

Some? Try all

And why? You really are naďve if you have to ask that  :facepalm

And BTW you previous post was removed because you again refused to provide the appropriate referencing = LINK for it
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #2661 on: August 21, 2014, 07:12:59 AM »
Why ate you deleting these comments?

Pls explain yourself

If you want the link, it's from the video. U want me to post it? His wife requested it not be linked

The words said by Foley and the killee.

If the  mans about to be beheaded why would he lie?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 07:30:50 AM by Judge Roughneck »

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2662 on: August 21, 2014, 09:07:02 AM »

Pls explain yourself

If you want the link, it's from the video. U want me to post it? His wife requested it not be linked

All you needed to to was say it came from a video.

You know the rules...they have been explained to you and have been in place for over 10 years now. You cannot post anything that has come directly from another source without supplying a link to the source

From http://oneeyed-richmond.com/forum/index.php?topic=13.msg38#msg38
2.   Plagiarism: will not and cannot be allowed. If you are posting threads that are direct copies from other sites (eg Real Footy, RFC website etc) and this includes other “unofficial” sites you must quote the source/link. Also, we request that if you use information from this site as discussion topics on other forums that you quote OER as the source and post the appropriate link. Due to legal requirements failure to quote the correct source/link will result in the post being either edited if we can locate the source or removed. Before resorting to removing any post we will endeavour to contact the original OER poster to get them to edit their post. If we are unable to do that OER will endeavour to find the source and edit the post.

There is no exception. You have clearly breached this rule and as per the above it has been removed

Yes his family has asked for people not to view it and forward it. But you have anyway (ableit indirectly). Post it again and reference it correctly and it wont get removed. It isn't hard

Who said he lied?

You said in your post that I quoted and replied to "Some say his comments were fotcedt - yet why would a man about to be decapitated go along with it" (ed: I have no idea what happened to that post, you must have removed it because I certainly didn't)

I replied that all people believe/know he was forced to make the statement he did.

You then asked why would he go along with it? To which I replied you must be naive to have to ask that question.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 10:32:36 AM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2663 on: August 21, 2014, 09:08:06 AM »

Pls explain yourself

Oh Bents

Ummmm maybe he has been tortured for two years and wants to end it

Like he knows that the garbage is not going to be believed by anyone but the jihadists

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #2665 on: August 21, 2014, 02:43:32 PM »
Police pointing a loaded semi-auto AR-15 at unarmed protestors saying "I will stuffing kill you."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AFia3Uo0TQ  :-\

Warning - so wp doesn't delete, the following does have the word stuff in it. After pointing said gun, someone asks theppolice his name and he replys go stuff yourself.America land of the free

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2666 on: August 21, 2014, 03:37:20 PM »
http://www.9news.com.au/national/2014/08/21/14/44/live-stream-bill-shorten-prepares-to-address-the-media-in-melbourne

Opposition leader Bill Shorten says he has been cleared of rape allegations

Opposition leader Bill Shorten has said he is the ‘senior Labor figure’ cleared overnight of raping a teenager in the 1980s.

"Late last year, I learned a claim had been made about me going back to when I was 19," Mr Shorten said in Melbourne today.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #2667 on: August 21, 2014, 11:56:21 PM »
Worst Leader of the Opposition ever.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #2668 on: August 22, 2014, 04:49:38 AM »
Worst Leader of the Opposition ever.

:lol

I think history will judge Tony A as being the worst ever.

:cheers

dwaino

« Reply #2669 on: August 22, 2014, 07:52:20 AM »
Shorten can be one of Tony's mates now.