Author Topic: Australian Politics thread [merged]  (Read 766689 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Australian Politics thread [merged]
« Reply #4770 on: March 22, 2020, 12:35:10 PM »
Victoria wants schools shut from Tuesday. Planning to go it alone if Feds don't.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #4771 on: March 22, 2020, 12:52:41 PM »
Victoria wants schools shut from Tuesday. Planning to go it alone if Feds don't.

Source please. 👍

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #4772 on: March 22, 2020, 12:57:58 PM »

Source please. 👍

All good. Found it on the CH 9 site.

😁

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4773 on: March 22, 2020, 07:41:02 PM »
Federal government stimulus package II:

* Cost of package is $66 billion.

* Businesses with <$50m turnover receive a tax-free cash payment of up to $100,000.

* Newstart/Jobseeker payment doubled to $1075.

* Sole traders or casual workers who have had their income or hours reduced by 20% or more as a result of coronavirus will also be able to access to up to $10,000 of their superannuation tax-free.

* Pensioners will receive another $750 paid on July 13. Deeming rates lowered to 0.25%.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-22/coronavirus-second-stimulus-package-how-much-money-you-will-get/12078972

It was also mentioned the economic downturn is and is expected to be worse than what was expected when the first stimulus package was announced.

A third package may also be needed.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4774 on: March 23, 2020, 04:19:36 PM »
Reports of queues today at Centrelink branches even with Stage 1 shutdowns.

It wouldn't surprise me if it gets to the situation where the government will have to temporarily nationalise essential services when we get to full lockdown mode. By that stage the majority of the population will be dependent on government support anyway with most businesses closed and workers unemployed.

There's also going to be a need for an international agreement post this corona-crisis to eliminate each country's national debt otherwise it will be crippling to any global economic recovery. Our debt ceiling has been lifted to $850b and these 'stimulus' packages are equivalent to 14% of our GDP being added to our national debt. Other countries are even further in debt (over 100% of the GDP). Australia got hammered in the Great Depression because going into it we relied on large borrowings (from the UK in those days) and austere measures were then imposed.  This virus should eventually dissipate by this time next year but the economic downturn that it has caused could last for many years. History shows things are never the same to the way they were before such a severe downturn.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4775 on: March 24, 2020, 10:41:03 PM »
I praised Scotty from marketing the other week

But tonight after another shambolic presser he deserves a good kicking

Just make tough decision which happens to be an easy decision. We need to be lockdown. We don't need tonight's Clayton's lockdown.

What a shambles   :banghead
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4776 on: March 25, 2020, 12:19:39 PM »
Scomo delivering when it matters. They are all working as a team in the cabinet, and thats how it should be.

He has gone up a notch in my estimates. Spoke from the heart when he said every job is essential. WP, you may think its okay to move to a full lockdown but more jobs will be lost.

If people did the right thing we wouldnt be in this mess, but we live with a bunch of soul less mofos, and it starts with those idiots from the geelong football club. What a disgrace that club is.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4777 on: March 25, 2020, 02:12:05 PM »
Scomo delivering when it matters. They are all working as a team in the cabinet, and thats how it should be.

He has gone up a notch in my estimates. Spoke from the heart when he said every job is essential. WP, you may think its okay to move to a full lockdown but more jobs will be lost.

If people did the right thing we wouldnt be in this mess, but we live with a bunch of soul less mofos, and it starts with those idiots from the geelong football club. What a disgrace that club is.

I watched last night he came across (again) as clueless. At times contradicted himself multiple times

This mornings presser where he had time to prepare he came across as a leader.

Problem we have is we don't see that often enough

What has he delivered exactly? Outside his constant mixed messages?

He and his govt are reactive. Now is not the time to be reactive, to,e to be proactive. Like Singapore, Canada and dare I say it NZ

Frank, I'm well aware what a complete lockdown will mean but right now IMO people's lives are just a bit more important. And that's where we are at now.

A month ago if we had shut our borders and did a full lockdown we'd be in  much better position than what we are today

Agree with you about the selfish actions of so many...

But as i've said many times that we are living in the "what's in it for me" age and that equates to selfishness. Multiple govt's have promoted this and I doubt they don't even realise it. But here we are. So it is of no surprise people are listening

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #4778 on: March 25, 2020, 02:24:40 PM »

It was the Norf idiots

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4779 on: March 25, 2020, 09:16:35 PM »

It was the Norf idiots

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/third-afl-player-caught-defying-coronavirus-restrictions-with-late-night-house-party-c-762057

these wankers make me sick truly.

Not that i think this virus is all that bad, except for the elderly. My issue is these blokes are all loaded with a whole heap of cash and people are losing their jobs all around us.

If that was our club i would be disgusted, which we know it wouldnt be.

stuff that club

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #4780 on: March 26, 2020, 01:23:29 PM »

Scotty from marketing gets a whack.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/mar/26/australia-is-scared-and-confused-about-coronavirus-is-scott-morrison-the-leader-we-need-for-this-grave-moment

"But what is clear is that Morrison is also doing his level best to keep us all confused. Tuesday night’s press conference was the prime minister at his bumbling, inept worst."

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4781 on: March 26, 2020, 01:39:54 PM »
Yeah and that great leader of the left Anthony Albanese is hitting it out of the ballpark atm. Labor is nowhere during this crisis
 Better to have someone like Morrison in charge. At least hes having a go at controlling the crisis
 Labor have exited stage left. No where to be seen when the heats on.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #4782 on: March 26, 2020, 02:20:32 PM »
The Red Guard-ian is criticising a conservative leader? Well colour me shocked! :shh

Only a true far-left mouthbreather would take anything seriously that hysterical Marxist shyterag says... :shh :shh
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 03:36:20 PM by Diocletian »
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4783 on: March 26, 2020, 06:15:58 PM »
Yeah and that great leader of the left Anthony Albanese is hitting it out of the ballpark atm. Labor is nowhere during this crisis
 Better to have someone like Morrison in charge. At least hes having a go at controlling the crisis
 Labor have exited stage left. No where to be seen when the heats on.

Whoopi he's having a go... please, need more than someone having a go

And clearly you are not watching news services, but anyways

And I know it will pain ,many but Dan Adnrews has been excellent through this crisis.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #4784 on: March 26, 2020, 07:17:29 PM »
Of course he has comrade, of course he has..... :shh ::)
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.