Author Topic: Australian Politics thread [merged]  (Read 766569 times)

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
Re: Australian Politics thread [merged]
« Reply #6480 on: December 12, 2023, 11:39:50 AM »
:lol :lol

i was surprised willy haines didnt get a mention.

Chris Watson says hello

Makes the Mills 196 days seem like an eternity

Regardless, it’s time Albo goes

#groundtheairbus

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6481 on: December 15, 2023, 09:14:38 PM »
LMAO @ MT going all the way back to the end of the Joh era  - who'd been premier for nearly 20 years - for the QLD example....
Given Qld Labor has won 9 of the past 10 state elections up there, it was a bit hard to find a more recent LNP example  :shh. Queenslanders are different cats. Each side can be in power for decades and since the 90s they usually choose a state govt that's the opposite stripe to the one in Canberra. By the way, Ahern to Cooper wasn't 20 years  :shh but having said that Joh had to be dragged out of office by his own side. Actually, he tried to sack most of the cabinet in a desperate attempt to remain premier, but the Governor blocked him from doing it.

ps. You've reminded me of this Fast Forward skit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l2doxjnn3Y

And the real Jana Wendt & Joh interview it's based on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuAVO0jSW5U?t=300
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6482 on: December 18, 2023, 05:40:41 PM »
I've changed my mind guys

For the betterment of Australia, he can't go. Just let him bumble and stumble and make a fool of himself and us for another 18 months. Then the disaster is over.

#albomuststay
#stickwithairbus

This imbecile is the best shot Labor has of losing the next election. So I am all for it.
If I didn't know better, I would think he was planted there by the Libs to sabotage Labor from within.

Losing the next election is genuinely becoming a possibility.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/work/leaders/sunrise-host-monique-ryan-launches-scathing-takedown-of-out-of-touch-anthony-albanese/news-story/4f7337ef7b8368c3fe6f5b42729929a9

Polling released by RedBridge today shows support for Labor among those with a TAFE, trade or vocational education qualification has slumped to 30 per cent, down six points, while support for the Liberals is up 10 per cent to 39 per cent.

That bleeding of support has been attributed to the cost-of-living crisis and a growing feeling in vast parts of the electorate that Mr Albanese isn’t doing enough to help struggling Aussies.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #6483 on: December 18, 2023, 06:36:44 PM »
#blunderbussalbomuststay :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6484 on: December 18, 2023, 08:30:05 PM »
Not disputing the numbers Damo but the same poll showed the ALP's 2PP % is the same,e as when the won the election. Granted it has dropped but right now it is exactly the same as the last election.

Also, interesting was the bloke who owns and runs RedBridge (i follow him on twitter) made the comment that tradies do flip flop between elections and they are likely to flip their support back within 12 months

Certainly interesting times ahead
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6485 on: December 18, 2023, 09:10:33 PM »
Not disputing the numbers Damo but the same poll showed the ALP's 2PP % is the same,e as when the won the election. Granted it has dropped but right now it is exactly the same as the last election.

Also, interesting was the bloke who owns and runs RedBridge (i follow him on twitter) made the comment that tradies do flip flop between elections and they are likely to flip their support back within 12 months

In a two horse race , Labor should have won in a canter

Thanks to a horrible ride by a shocking jockey, they are now under a lot of pressure coming into the straight

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6486 on: December 18, 2023, 09:20:01 PM »

In a two horse race , Labor should have won in a canter

Thanks to a horrible ride by a shocking jockey, they are now under a lot of pressure coming into the straight

In the 2 horse race the one thing in the ALP'S favour is the other jockey is so unpopular. His numbers are worse than the ALP jockey

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6487 on: December 18, 2023, 10:05:37 PM »
so you say....

hang on isnt news owned by murdoch? wp lets us know this very oiften but not as often as 2 others  :shh

here is another print today Damo.

https://www.afr.com/politics/federal/labor-loses-lead-pm-s-ratings-slump-poll-20231217-p5es0f

Labor has lost its lead for the first time since winning power, and would be pushed into minority government if an election were held today, according to a new poll which also shows more than 60 per cent believe immigration levels are too high.

Anthony Albanese’s personal ratings continue to slide, in contrast with those of Peter Dutton, following a messy end to the year for the government underpinned by ongoing unrest over the cost of living.

The latest The Australian Financial Review/Freshwater Strategy poll shows that while cost of living remains unrivalled as the top concern of voters, unrest over immigration and asylum seekers has begun to grow, and voters are unimpressed at the government’s handling of it.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6488 on: December 18, 2023, 11:19:03 PM »
Keep letting rapists, pedos & terrorists back on the the streets as more and more people need to take out loans just to pay for groceries and keep the lights on and the LNP could bring back Abbott with Bronwyn Bishop as deputy and still win in a canter... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6489 on: December 19, 2023, 07:53:04 AM »
Keep letting rapists, pedos & terrorists back on the the streets as more and more people need to take out loans just to pay for groceries and keep the lights on and the LNP could bring back Abbott with Bronwyn Bishop as deputy and still win in a canter... :shh

You do understand that the release of scumbags out of detention is due to a High Court decision? A decision that deemed a law bought in by the previous LNP government as unconstitutional and illegal? It wouldn't matter who was in power the scumbags would still need to be released. That decision no matter who pathetic it is; is a legal one and the government of the day had no choice but to abide by it and release them. You're not suggesting that we ignore the highest court in the land, the law and our constitution?

Perhaps if the previous govt had done their proper due diligence on the law when they drafted it prior to ramming it through we wouldn't have the current situation

I get everyone is doing it tough. Inflation,  interest rates and the overall general cost of living.

But and this is a serious question, not one to deflect but what exactly can and should the government do?

More handouts that likely cause inflation to go up again? I don't think so

Interest rates are set by the Reserve Bank. Why they didn't act sooner around rates is mind boggling. Why didn't act leading into the last election when inflation was heading towards 6%+? Totally incompetently and derelict in thier duties. And to now have the new Governor suggest it is the consumer's fault because we are spending on "luxuries " like going to the dentist and getting haircuts :help :chuck :facepalm. I thought the previous Governor was a goose, the new one is a moron.

Food prices are set by companies hell bent on gouging profits. As inflation has dropped none of the supermarkets have dropped any of their prices. Why is that? Who's to blame for that

And just some think out loud....

What will be interesting is in the New Year will the govt give private health companies the OK to again raise their premiums. I don't know of one government in the last 10 years that have refused the private health request of an increase. Let's see if this government has the guts to say no. Want to help families?  That would be a bloody good start

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6490 on: December 19, 2023, 08:40:44 AM »

You do understand that the release of scumbags out of detention is due to a High Court decision? A decision that deemed a law bought in by the previous LNP government as unconstitutional and illegal? It wouldn't matter who was in power the scumbags would still need to be released. That decision no matter who pathetic it is; is a legal one and the government of the day had no choice but to abide by it and release them. You're not suggesting that we ignore the highest court in the land, the law and our constitution?

Perhaps if the previous govt had done their proper due diligence on the law when they drafted it prior to ramming it through we wouldn't have the current situation

I get everyone is doing it tough. Inflation,  interest rates and the overall general cost of living.

But and this is a serious question, not one to deflect but what exactly can and should the government do?

More handouts that likely cause inflation to go up again? I don't think so

Interest rates are set by the Reserve Bank. Why they didn't act sooner around rates is mind boggling. Why didn't act leading into the last election when inflation was heading towards 6%+? Totally incompetently and derelict in thier duties. And to now have the new Governor suggest it is the consumer's fault because we are spending on "luxuries " like going to the dentist and getting haircuts :help :chuck :facepalm. I thought the previous Governor was a goose, the new one is a moron.

Food prices are set by companies hell bent on gouging profits. As inflation has dropped none of the supermarkets have dropped any of their prices. Why is that? Who's to blame for that

And just some think out loud....

What will be interesting is in the New Year will the govt give private health companies the OK to again raise their premiums. I don't know of one government in the last 10 years that have refused the private health request of an increase. Let's see if this government has the guts to say no. Want to help families?  That would be a bloody good start

What can the government do?, how about run the country competently for starters.

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6491 on: December 19, 2023, 09:24:08 AM »
#albomuststay Chuck

That’s the key

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6492 on: December 19, 2023, 12:56:51 PM »

What can the government do?, how about run the country competently for starters.

Thanks for the non answer Chuck.

Give an example(s) of what in your view equals running the country competently?

Easy to throw out a comment but would be nice to read some examples.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6493 on: December 19, 2023, 01:03:02 PM »
Yep never the government's fault when Laborious(sic) are in power....  just more of the usual  ALCCP apologia.... :shh

- Thomas Sowell

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6494 on: December 20, 2023, 08:57:55 AM »

Thanks for the non answer Chuck.

Give an example(s) of what in your view equals running the country competently?

Easy to throw out a comment but would be nice to read some examples.

Well I thought the biggest example was obvious, ie the referendum.

A total misread of the room that cost the Australian public millions of dollars of taxpayer funds not to mention the time wasted for everyone in Australia.

During this campaign for the referendum were the Labor party focused on running the country or was there time taken up with the referendum, this isnt a question as the answer is obvious.

A mis spend of money and time all because of Alby and his extremist views and self catering whims.