Author Topic: Richmond ressies/VFL side [merged]  (Read 434474 times)

Offline RFC_Official

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: RFC to go it alone at VFL Level in 2014
« Reply #540 on: December 12, 2013, 11:24:28 AM »
VFL sub-forum needed?

gerkin greg

« Reply #541 on: December 12, 2013, 11:49:54 AM »
The VFL list will only get games when there is an injury to someone. Young (as captain) will be first cab off the rank.

Not so sure about that. I'd imagine Young will play every week at the very least. May find we rest/rotate/manage the kids through the season. I think a while back I counted about 6 of the VFL listed players played every game for Geelong in 2012. The AFL listed blokes were rotated around them even when there were no injuries. They always had a couple of experienced senior mids and KP players in the side. Probably why we've recruited blokes with experience to fill the list rather than a bunch of kids with more question marks over them than answers.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #542 on: December 12, 2013, 12:07:21 PM »
The VFL list will only get games when there is an injury to someone. Young (as captain) will be first cab off the rank.

Not so sure about that. I'd imagine Young will play every week at the very least. May find we rest/rotate/manage the kids through the season. I think a while back I counted about 6 of the VFL listed players played every game for Geelong in 2012. The AFL listed blokes were rotated around them even when there were no injuries. They always had a couple of experienced senior mids and KP players in the side. Probably why we've recruited blokes with experience to fill the list rather than a bunch of kids with more question marks over them than answers.

Twice in less than 24 hours we agree

:clapping :clapping

VFL sub-forum needed?

Might be onto something there Stig  ;) ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #543 on: December 12, 2013, 12:48:25 PM »
If they gonna have live streaming of games then they should have it done properly. They should pay someone like Silverspoon Productions to stream games on the net. They did VPL games for the FFV and did it pretty well. If they are just gonna do what they do with the B&F night etc then they may as well not do anything. Pay for it and if they have to they can charge some money from the supporters for the rights to watch even though finding a sponsor for it would be pretty easy IMHO.

Ramps you can do live feeds through Youtube now. Camera source to laptop to Internet (Youtube) and your done. Live and uninterrupted games straight to the fans.  :thumbsup As part of my Job I do it quite regularly and it works really well. Not sure if there are any broadcast rights restrictions but if there aren't then they could live stream every game through YouTube.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #544 on: December 12, 2013, 01:10:34 PM »
If they gonna have live streaming of games then they should have it done properly. They should pay someone like Silverspoon Productions to stream games on the net. They did VPL games for the FFV and did it pretty well. If they are just gonna do what they do with the B&F night etc then they may as well not do anything. Pay for it and if they have to they can charge some money from the supporters for the rights to watch even though finding a sponsor for it would be pretty easy IMHO.

Ramps you can do live feeds through Youtube now. Camera source to laptop to Internet (Youtube) and your done. Live and uninterrupted games straight to the fans.  :thumbsup As part of my Job I do it quite regularly and it works really well. Not sure if there are any broadcast rights restrictions but if there aren't then they could live stream every game through YouTube.
NT do this in the local league at times.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #545 on: December 12, 2013, 01:12:25 PM »

No doubt we will manage blokes as well. We did it this year. Guys would disappear from Coburg for a week here and there. We will never have 22 AFL guys available so Young will play every week. A young kid wouldn't get the same luxury of playing every week though and would be better off elsewhere.

Offline RFC_Official

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #546 on: December 12, 2013, 01:14:44 PM »

Bad news, we paid for that too.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #547 on: December 12, 2013, 03:01:04 PM »

mostly pretty crappy though, you need high upload speeds and large bandwidth
the NBN would have really opened up all sorts of possibilities for sports streaming, but the libs have to look after their pay tv mates
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #548 on: December 12, 2013, 03:23:09 PM »

the NBN would have really opened up all sorts of possibilities for sports streaming, but the libs have to look after their pay tv mates
The games I've watched have been watchable from NT. Not like the Indigenous All-Stars game we played or those NAB games we tried to film.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #549 on: December 12, 2013, 04:07:41 PM »

if they can play every tac cup game why cant they play every vfl game

soft

in my day we walked 12 miles to school and had to carry four bricks

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #550 on: December 12, 2013, 04:44:36 PM »

Granted we are doing it through 100Megabit Fibre but I reckon a decent ADSL 2+ link that is not too heavily contended would easily push out 720P smoothly with H.264 compression

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #551 on: December 12, 2013, 05:09:03 PM »
by not to heavily contended you mean congested?
if so, yeah, that is is the crux of it. if 720p is the best you can do then the internet will not provide competition to pay tv as it is starting to in europe , either.

The games I've watched have been watchable from NT. Not like the Indigenous All-Stars game we played or those NAB games we tried to film.
i've only tried to watch a couple of districts games i couldnt be bothered getting down to and they were choppy, but not as bad as the games you mention. I'm pretty sure that the ABC film the games and stream them live back to the station, where they have a half decent internet connection to upload to the servers.

Those games you mention would have been uploaded directly from the ground and i think in one case it was said over a 3g upload, so you will always struggle to get decent streaming due to slow upload speeds.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #552 on: December 12, 2013, 11:19:03 PM »
by not to heavily contended you mean congested?
if so, yeah, that is is the crux of it. if 720p is the best you can do then the internet will not provide competition to pay tv as it is starting to in europe , either.

i've only tried to watch a couple of districts games i couldnt be bothered getting down to and they were choppy, but not as bad as the games you mention. I'm pretty sure that the ABC film the games and stream them live back to the station, where they have a half decent internet connection to upload to the servers.

Those games you mention would have been uploaded directly from the ground and i think in one case it was said over a 3g upload, so you will always struggle to get decent streaming due to slow upload speeds.

No al I  meant contended not congested. Contended as in contention ratios are used by ISP's to define how many customers they have versus the amount of bandwidth available. For example a 20:1 contention ratio means on a particular DSLAM they could have 20 people fighting for a particular unit of bandwidth. An over contended service can also be called oversubscribed. This may result in congestion but it all depends on how likely the 20 users will use the internet service at the same time.
Nearly all residential ADSL services have high contention ratios. Business grade services can have ratios as low as 1:1 but you pay for the privilege.

the claw

« Reply #553 on: December 13, 2013, 01:06:06 AM »

A young kid wouldn't get the same luxury of playing every week though and would be better off elsewhere.

which young kids would be better off playing elsewhere. geez what young kids are you talking about. we only have,
 lennon -  at 18 apparently hes going to play seniors. surely our first rounder will at the least spend most of his time in the magoos as a worst case scenario.
arnot -  turns 20 next yr a small mid and in his 3rd yr surely we want him playing ressies at least.
elton -  turns 21 in april  goes into yr 3 again surely we want games in the ressies into him at the least.
mcbean - 19 yr old alrerady good enough to play seniors i believe. ;)
mcdonough - 20yo  a sml forward goes into yr 2. id really hope smalls are showing a bit fairly quickly.  where else do you wish to see him play.
mcintosh - 20 yo tall running defender.  again if hes not playing ressies at the least why even keep him.
o hanlon - 20 yo medium sized forward goes into yr 3 cmon we want him playing ressies at the least.
williams 19yo medium sized mid.  a rookie coming of a injury yr. maybe theres a case for resting him.

thats just 7 players where is this big need for in particular veterans.  15 vets to lead 7 kids  well it seems that way.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #554 on: December 13, 2013, 01:52:10 AM »
The RFC guys aren't better off playing elsewhere. He means a young kid trying to get on a list. I'll be interested to see young Clay McCartney how he goes games wise. He won't be a walk up start each week to get under recruiters noses. I wonder where he goes? Can he play TAC as an overager as well. Beats me. Maybe he'll be allowed to play as that 23rd player crap the VFL do. \

Claw - you left Darrou off the list which makes 8 kids.

Then you've got guys like Griff who need leadership and direction because he currently has no effin idea how to get the pill himself let alone try and lead the young group.

At the end of the day a lot of guys that missed out on being drafted will want a weekly game which they can get elsewhere (either other state league teams or back at their TAC team as overage players). We don't have the ability to promise them that as we need to play our guys first and foremost and adding another bunch of kids to our group of inexperienced players isn't going to make a very good team.

The VFL team seems to be constructed to win on a weekly basis to teach the young kids about actually winning. Hopefully in turn allows us to play our young KPF's as KPF's and not have to send them kick chasing down in the backline like at Coburg. Was pooting me no end the way Griff has been developed, hopefully by winning we can hold our structure and say goodbye to those days.