Author Topic: Movies  (Read 63981 times)

Gigantor

Re: Movies
« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2013, 10:55:34 AM »
Once again off to the classic cinema last night to see the romantic comedy ..silver lining playbook.it stars bradley cooper,robert de niro,and jackie weaver..The story centres are the bradley cooper character who is recently released from a mental institution for beating up his wifes lover.On his journey to recovery he meets Tiffany a woman whose husband was recently killed in a road accident.These 2 go through a variety of ups and downs some quite funny,culminating in a dancing with the stars type contest.The robert de niro and jackie weaver characters are the lads parents.Deniro plays a fanatic phildaelphia eagles fan who has been banned from ever going back to the stadium for beating up way too many supporters.
overall the movie got better as it went along.At first i was a little uncertain as to how they would tackle mental illness but in the end it was all ok.had a few laughs and as with most Romantic comedies ...boy gets girl..lol.........i give this

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2013, 10:53:25 PM »
watched it tonight also at Jam. Mrs loved it so yep a romantic comedy it is.

Would have to agree 100%. Adding to that a great performance by Cooper. He really is cementing himself in Hollywood. Good all round actor.

Thought that girl was smoking hot also.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Gigantor

« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2013, 08:18:00 PM »
Tiffany was super hot ..yes i agree

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2013, 10:36:41 PM »
The impossible next on the list next weekend
Let us know if u see it first Gigantor
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Gigantor

« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2013, 11:22:14 PM »
Off to the classic again .This time saw "the impossible".The main actors were Ewan Mc gregor and naomi watts.Let me begin by saying what a movie experience this was,For the 114 minutes i was more or less glued to my seat.The cinema they chose to screen this movie was the smallest one at the classic and the theatre was less than a quarter full.This movie deserves a substantial audience.
The story(true) centres around a family of 5 who become separated when the Tsunami of 2004 strikes in thailand,and the struggle to re unite it....i wont say more as i will spoil this movie experience.One thing though this movie did for me was show the extraordinary acts of kindness and humanity we can show to each other,something we dont see enough of..I give this movie

Gigantor

« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2013, 11:24:28 PM »
Oops almost forgot thanx Daniel for highlighting this movie as it had slipped under my radar somewhat

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2013, 11:21:51 AM »
Once again off to the classic cinema last night to see the romantic comedy ..silver lining playbook.it stars bradley cooper,robert de niro,and jackie weaver..The story centres are the bradley cooper character who is recently released from a mental institution for beating up his wifes lover.On his journey to recovery he meets Tiffany a woman whose husband was recently killed in a road accident.These 2 go through a variety of ups and downs some quite funny,culminating in a dancing with the stars type contest.The robert de niro and jackie weaver characters are the lads parents.Deniro plays a fanatic phildaelphia eagles fan who has been banned from ever going back to the stadium for beating up way too many supporters.
overall the movie got better as it went along.At first i was a little uncertain as to how they would tackle mental illness but in the end it was all ok.had a few laughs and as with most Romantic comedies ...boy gets girl..lol.........i give this

G, I really enjoyed the Silver Linings playbook. I think they approached the mental illness side of things very delicately and sensitively. Jennifer Lawrence was hot and I love a woman with plenty of chutzpah which was a nice follow on from her character in The Hunger Games. I've been a fan of Brad Cooper since the hangover. He was brilliant in Limitless, and in this film he once again did a great job in a very difficult role.

I gave this film

Gigantor

« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2013, 10:45:08 AM »
Once again off to the Classic to see the movie"zero dark thirty"the planning and killing of Bin laden.Interesting movie to say the least.Apparently kathryn Bigelow(the hurt locker) who directed and produced this movie is well connected with the american establishment and thus was able to get first hand accounts of how Bin laden was killed.
The movie goes for 157 minutes, so its quite long.It starts around 2001 just after after the 9/11 attacks and follows how Bin laden was tracked down.It seems a lot of luck was involved and even the killing of bin laden seemed to be rather random .The troops entered the compound and more or less shot anything that moved,one happened to be Bin laden.
The movie is seen through the eyes of a CIA operative who was in it from the start, more or less.it also shows some of the unsavoury methods the americans used to get information from prisoners.I certainly dont agree with any kind of torture even if its for a good cause,and in the movie many of the americans in the CIA appeared to be given a free(er) hand in how they extracted information, by the administration before obamas.Thus when obama took over the operatives in the CIA appeared fearfull that questions would be asked of them..overall i enjoyed the movie despite its length...I give it

« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 11:51:15 AM by Gigantor »

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2013, 10:06:44 AM »
Thanks G. Sounds like a good one to add to the list.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2013, 07:34:07 PM »
Off to the classic again yesterday arvo..This time saw the American movie"This is 40"
A story about a middle america family and all its neurosis.At first i thought this movie is going to get some serious dolph votes.however once i got into the flow i was laughing my head off.I didnt realise this at first but this movie was really having a crack at the neurosis I mentioned above.The family at the centre of this movie was a husband and wife and 2 young girls.Both parents were turning 40 the same week.Both were having financial difficulties with their respective businesses,and constantly feuding with their young daughters and each other.And not to mention a rather over the top extended family..
Anyway i do recomend this movie for a slightly left of centre look at modern society
I give this

Saw this the other night. I agree it caught me off guard I was expecting your typical romantic comedy but it was a little different. Agree with that rating, maybe even a little more

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2013, 09:10:48 PM »
Retro review, I finally got around to watching The Prestige (2006) starring Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale.
What a movie. I have to admit that I had an 'in' on the film, which is about 2 magicians competing to be the best in London, and I've always liked magic. I developed a bit of a new appreciation for Jackman during this film. I wouldn't be surprised if the role was written for him, it suited him that much.
Christian Bale is a funny one. I couldn't understand a word he said as Batman. In this role he was great, he is a good actor. But I miss some of his lines with his gravelly tone. I just wish he would speak with clearer diction. Michael Caine 'outdone' himself again with his cockney accent perfect for the role. The rivalry between the two magicians was captivating.

Gigantor and other reviewers, keep up the good work, love reading your reviews. I'm still getting around to watching Angel's Share which started this thread, argo's on the list too. 

Ruanaidh

« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2013, 02:20:58 PM »
If you get a chance to watch a movie called "Leave" grab it. It is one that has you contemplating long after it is finished.

Gigantor

« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2013, 02:22:42 PM »
tell us more about leave

Ruanaidh

« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2013, 02:41:36 PM »
tell us more about leave
It is one of those movies that the slightest description may give the plot-line away. I advise you not to give in to descriptions on review sites as they often contain 'spoilers'. Trust me, if you like a cerebral movie that doesn't try to cater for immature majority but instead wants to take you on an non-patronising and enlightening journey...watch this movie. But if you watch it with a woman have some tissues ready. Hell, I needed some myself.   
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 03:01:01 PM by Ruanaidh »

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #89 on: February 17, 2013, 11:05:07 PM »
You have me intrigued, is it directed by Robert Celestino (2011) ?