Author Topic: Kamdyn McIntosh [merged]  (Read 193062 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
'Leave no stone unturned': Kmac wills himself back into premiership picture
« Reply #540 on: October 23, 2020, 03:24:16 AM »
'Leave no stone unturned': Tiger wills himself back into premiership picture

Kamdyn McIntosh was an odd man out last year, but the wingman's persistence and an unusual pre-season has him one win away from fulfilment

By Sarah Black
afl.com.au
23 October 2020

LAST year was the most difficult of Kamdyn McIntosh's footballing career, but a few runs in the Utah snow have done the world of good.

As Richmond won the AFL-VFL premiership double in 2019, just five players on the entire list missed out on playing in a Grand Final victory.

Jake Aarts was suspended, Jack Graham and Jack Higgins were injured (the latter recovering from a brain bleed), while Jack Ross and McIntosh had been withdrawn from the VFL decider as injury cover for the AFL team.

Neither made the final 22, with Marlion Pickett instead writing his name in folklore as an AFL Grand Final debutant, replacing the wounded Graham.

At 25 and with 90 AFL games under his belt at the time, McIntosh was comfortably the most senior player to miss out.

"Personally, it was probably one of my toughest years I've been through, but it was an opportunity though for a player like Marlion Pickett – who's gone through so much hardship in his life – to have a dream come true," McIntosh told afl.com.au.

"'Dimma' (coach Damien Hardwick) is really good on reflecting on the journey of where we're going, and not just the Grand Final.

"I very much did feel a part of that Grand Final, even though I wasn't playing. I felt like that week I was able to be up and about for the boys. I knew I was there to help them out."

McIntosh was contracted for the 2020 season, and there were reports – which he termed "inaccurate" – he was potentially looking elsewhere after his season ended in dual disappointment.

"When you go through something like last year, there's always thoughts that pop up – where the club sees me in the side, do they value me, or do they need me? But at the end of the season, I ultimately wanted to stay," McIntosh said.

McIntosh's form has been very solid this year. In shortened matches, his numbers have barely budged, with average disposals going from 14.1 to 13.6, and marks (a strength of his game) slightly falling from 4.0 to 3.8.

The winger's positioning, and his ability to hold and create width across the ground, has been crucial to Richmond's trademark scrambled forward movement.

It has been a bounce-back year that started about as far from Punt Road as you can get. McIntosh spent two weeks over summer in Utah visiting former teammate Ben Lennon, who is studying and playing college gridiron there. While Lennon was busy with classes, McIntosh ran, often in snow, at 1100 metres above sea level.

"I went away knowing I still had two years at Richmond, and I was asking myself what I wanted it to look like," he said.

"I went there with the intent to train hard, get my body right, so I could come back in pre-season and really hit it hard.

"That's what I did. I set personal bests in the gym, on the running track, I was training in the backline and learning another role."

A syndesmosis injury in his right ankle at the end of January initially caused some anxiety, considering McIntosh had missed the majority of 2016 with the same injury.

"But when the physios told me it was an eight-week injury, I was rapt," he said.

"I went back to work, and I wanted to let the coaches know that I wasn't done and I wanted to play for the footy club again, leave no stone unturned.

"I found a little bit more hunger and intent in my training, rather than just going through the motions."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/520491/-leave-no-stone-unturned-tiger-wills-himself-back-into-premiership-picture

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Kamdyn McIntosh [merged]
« Reply #541 on: October 25, 2020, 06:27:59 AM »
Kamdyn McIntosh – 5
An uncharacteristically quiet game from McIntosh, with the ball often being played on the opposing wing. Slotted a beautiful (or as he would say, "un-bloody-believable") goal from outside 50 in the first term.

Source: AFL website

Kamdyn McIntosh
Gave the Tigers a two-goal lead early in the game with a nice snag on the run despite having a number of options available closer to goal. His work on the outside was important.

Rating: 6

Source: Foxsports

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #542 on: October 25, 2020, 09:04:01 AM »
His running has been key to our success this year. Deserves his spot and second medal.

Good on you KMac. I never wanted to trade you ever and this is why.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #543 on: October 27, 2020, 03:29:05 PM »
Kamdyn McIntosh missed out on playing in last year's Grand Final.

McIntosh charged into the pre-season with a full head of steam on the back of his omission, looking to reclaim his place in the side.

The 26-year-old told afl.com.au he spent the off-season training in Utah, and now a two-time premiership winner, it's fair to say the results have paid off in full.

"I'm speechless," he told the website.

"Playing in the 2017 grand final I knew what I was missing out on last year and it was really hard.

"To play tonight and win is just amazing.

"I think about the hard road I had to go down of not getting a gig (last year) and working my way back into the side, it was pretty hard.

"I thought not playing in that team and the last five games of that season, my head was on the chopping board and they might be moving on to younger players ... which sees me out of the side.

"I had a little chip on my shoulder and wanted to come back and cement my spot again. This is just unbelievable."

https://www.mandurahmail.com.au/story/6984694/mcintosh-left-speechless-after-second-afl-grand-final-victory/

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #544 on: November 22, 2020, 11:43:27 AM »
Just watched his video on the website- the best one yet!
What a year for him personally and what a bloke he is, a true Tiger in everyway :clapping

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #545 on: November 23, 2020, 09:01:50 AM »
He reminds me of Tucky
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #546 on: November 26, 2020, 11:28:51 AM »
Personally i dont think his season was too much different to last season or the yr before that or the yr before that etc.

Two time premiership player makes him a fan favorite and it does paper over the cracks.
Just because he is a premiership player it doesnt mean he is a very good player. I would describe him as a limited battler who has done very well for himself at a club at the right time right circumstances.

Just my opinion and even with the success we have had, he is very much a player we should be looking to find an upgrade on.
Remains a chronic fumbler ordinary kick whos only redeeming features imo are his hard running both ways and his great size for a running player.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #547 on: November 26, 2020, 11:42:36 AM »
Vintage claw. The guy plays his position perfectly, resurrects his career, in a covid covid compromised season and you’re basically saying dud delist because he’s not a 5x Brownlow medallist

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #548 on: November 26, 2020, 02:20:05 PM »
I didn’t have him in our best 22 but after he was restored to the side this season he was very very good highlighted by his top5 placing in the best and fairest. His 2 way running and strength/size are perfect on the wing. He often just bullies the opposing winger to take the mark/gather the ball. Also you were very harsh on his kicking skills, he is far from the worst in our team.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #549 on: November 26, 2020, 03:12:14 PM »
He was better this year without doubt
Anyone thinking otherwise is in fantasy land

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #550 on: November 26, 2020, 03:34:29 PM »
Vintage claw. The guy plays his position perfectly, resurrects his career, in a covid covid compromised season and you’re basically saying dud delist because he’s not a 5x Brownlow medallist

LOL plays his position perfectly. What position would that be and what are the requirements for the position?

I watch this bloke just as closely as the next bloke and im sorry i think he is ordinary.
So i disagree with everyone else what can i do to back up my statement other than talk about what i see. Oh yeah there is those pesky stats that back up just about everything i have mentioned.

Stats aside there is not a hell of a lot of difference in this bloke from last yr to this yr.
My eyes told me  He still ran himself into trouble, he still fumbled a lot his disposal was ordinary at times  he still had his share of poor games. Combine that with the stats and taking into account  shorter quarters there was very little difference to previous yrs.

What are the expectations for any winger in the comp, thats his position.  surely its more than just running hard both ways and having a big body me thinks glass half full in all fairness describes him to a tee.

I was a big Kamdyn fan wanted us to take him in his draft yr, and yes i will always like him for playing in two flags for us.
If honest though i think hes nothing more than average at best who doesnt perform many of the roles expected of a winger and as such am comfortable in calling him a glass half full player a player id hope we are looking to upgrade on.

Sorry kids they can't all be stars and the harsh truth is a few of them are expendable imho

Offline JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #551 on: November 26, 2020, 04:20:41 PM »
Its just as well that not every player in the side is a star!  If they were all stars we'd blow our salary cap to smithereens, like Collingwood did! 
It takes a few good ordinary players to balance out the list, the fact that we have a few glass half fulls means we can have the top end talent like Dusty, Cotch & Grimes!  3 flags in 4 years proves that our glass half fulls are some of the best glass half fulls going around & McIntosh is one of them!     
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #552 on: November 26, 2020, 04:43:55 PM »
Would rather glass half full, than 1/3rd full,
KM reminds me me of an exuberant puppy, very happy to have him in the team

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #553 on: November 26, 2020, 04:47:05 PM »