Author Topic: Liam McBean [merged]  (Read 169102 times)

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
Re: Liam McBean [merged]
« Reply #510 on: August 13, 2014, 07:04:12 AM »
I agree, I'd have him in , kicks a couple and it's worked
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #511 on: August 13, 2014, 07:09:51 AM »

Needs to work on his defensive side and gain a little weight.

But a keeper, lots of potential.

:thumbsup
Yeah we're already going to vote for him mate, you don't need to keep selling it.....

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #512 on: August 13, 2014, 03:34:14 PM »
Needs to build his core strength moreso than his weight at this stage.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #513 on: August 13, 2014, 04:27:37 PM »

Yep that too.
Yeah we're already going to vote for him mate, you don't need to keep selling it.....

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #514 on: August 13, 2014, 08:07:09 PM »
Riddle me this. Who is the leading goal kicker in the vfl?

Other clubs are looking at pinching McBean. Would be incompetence in the highest order if we don't give him games and a pay rise
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

the claw

« Reply #515 on: August 13, 2014, 11:32:43 PM »

Other clubs are looking at pinching McBean. Would be incompetence in the highest order if we don't give him games and a pay rise
its funny not many criticise this bloke at all.

id like to know how many contested marks this bloke  has taken this yr or how many strong hard at it aerial contests hes given. hes clearly not ready and if i wanted to bring in a player to kick crumbing type goals it would be lloyd or knights.

we are screaming out for a tall presence a bloke who hits packs takes contested marks presents up and is physical. if we want him to be a kpf ffs develop him as one. if he cant do these things ffs lets find someone who can.

im told hes lazy he doesnt take contested marks and hes selfish. if this is correct play him in defense where he doesnt have a say but be accountable work hard and give a contest.

everyone keeps on telling me we have a player here well i will believe it when he starts to play like a big bloke and he gets a work ethic.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #516 on: August 13, 2014, 11:55:53 PM »

id like to know how many contested marks this bloke  has taken this yr or how many strong hard at it aerial contests hes given. hes clearly not ready and if i wanted to bring in a player to kick crumbing type goals it would be lloyd or knights.

we are screaming out for a tall presence a bloke who hits packs takes contested marks presents up and is physical. if we want him to be a kpf ffs develop him as one. if he cant do these things ffs lets find someone who can.

im told hes lazy he doesnt take contested marks and hes selfish. if this is correct play him in defense where he doesnt have a say but be accountable work hard and give a contest.

everyone keeps on telling me we have a player here well i will believe it when he starts to play like a big bloke and he gets a work ethic.
Plays a little like Gunston. Very good on the ground and ok in the air.  Just because he is tall doesn't mean he can't play small.  Very talented kid.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline the wasp

• Tiger Rookie
Young Tiger McBean stalks a senior call-up (afl site)
« Reply #517 on: August 14, 2014, 08:44:38 PM »
Young Tiger McBean stalks a senior call-up
Nathan Schmook 
afl.com.au
August 14, 2014 7:30 PM

RICHMOND forward Liam McBean says he has shed his 'project player' attitude and is ready to make his mark if given the chance to appear at the pointy end of the season. 

McBean has been building a strong case in the VFL for a senior debut, kicking 20 goals in the past five matches to lead the goalkicking in the state league with 33.

In talks to remain with the Tigers after two years on the list, the 202cm forward said he was mentally ready to play at the highest level if his form was rewarded.

"Last year when I got drafted I didn't have many expectations to put my hand up to play; I had the mentality of being a project player and taking longer to develop," he told AFL.com.au.

"But after about round 12, 'Choco' (senior development coach Mark Williams) pulled me into his office and said, 'They're thinking of playing you; you better get yourself ready and start believing you're ready to go'.

"Obviously big guys take time, but from that point onwards I really decided I'm not going to be that sort of player.

"I don't want to have that mindset that it doesn't matter if I don't play this year, because I'm as eager as anyone to get out there and pull on the Richmond jumper."

Recruited with pick No.33 in the 2012 NAB AFL Draft, McBean was on the cusp of senior selection last season when he booted 11 goals in two matches, but he was overlooked and suffered a season-ending ankle injury in his next VFL match.

Subsequent surgery restricted him through the pre-season and the 19-year-old's 2014 campaign was interrupted by a finger operation mid-year.

The ankle surgery saw him lose valuable weight, but McBean said he was back to 95kg and aiming to reach 98kg by the end of his next pre-season.

Another key focus has been the defensive side of his game after feedback from coach Damien Hardwick on what was required at AFL level.

"The amount of goals I was kicking was probably the same amount I gave away from not being switched on defensively," he said of his form earlier this season.   

"There's been stages this year where I've looked a little bit uncompetitive and I've spoken to 'Dimma' a lot about second and third efforts, just to show that desperation.

"'Dimma' has shown a lot of faith in me, and I've worked a lot on just changing my mindset and being more aware and not letting my defenders run the ball out of the backline."

Contested marking has been the other key focus for McBean, who acknowledged he needed to take more marks in pack situations or bring the ball to ground.

He said he had made an effort to simplify his football, which had been the main reason for his recent good form.   

"Sometimes I try to do a little bit too much," McBean said. 

"I've spoken to 'Clarkey' (VFL coach Tim Clarke) a few times about trying to keep inside the box.

"There were definitely times when I had shots on goal when I wasn't in the right spot and I'd try to do too much with the ball and wouldn't pick the right targets.

"Now my game is about marks, goals, and applying defensive pressure."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-14/mcbean-stalks-a-callup

Edit: Cheers hoover. Just added the title.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 08:53:42 PM by one-eyed »

tony_montana

« Reply #518 on: August 14, 2014, 09:08:15 PM »

Plays a little like Gunston. Very good on the ground and ok in the air.  Just because he is tall doesn't mean he can't play small.  Very talented kid.

Yeah but with his considerable height(205cm stuff me) as he gets older he will thicken up and there is no way he will stay as agile, losing his main strength as a player. Must develop into a strong marking tall or he will struggle long term imo. Besides, he wont be allowed to get away with crumbing goals at afl the way he does at vfl. Have noticed he is starting to play taller and take more contested marks which is good to see.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #519 on: August 14, 2014, 09:12:02 PM »

erm, its not funny at all.

He was a top five draft pick. and yet in his second season is leading the vfl coleman equivalent

id like to know how many contested marks this bloke  has taken this yr or how many strong hard at it aerial contests hes given.

Its been widley documented that this is a weakness.

And yet, you have made not one comment in this post about his strong attributes...

hes clearly not ready and if i wanted to bring in a player to kick crumbing type goals it would be lloyd or knights.

not the leading goal kicker in the victorian football league?

Yes sorry i briefly forgot riewoldt vickery griffiths are all rubbish thank you

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #520 on: August 14, 2014, 09:15:56 PM »
He was smashed when he played against Frawley in the preseason. He just needs to learn to develop his game to be more than crumbing goals. If he can pressure and create goals for his team mates as much as for himself and take a pack mark he will be a fantastic for us in the future.

If we lose this week he'll play the week after

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #521 on: August 14, 2014, 09:17:50 PM »
i get the feeling he will play better with deledio martin cotchin reiwoldt vlastuin etc. than without

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #522 on: August 14, 2014, 10:37:53 PM »
It's funny, Dimma didn't think Miles was ready either. It took him till about halfway through the year to realise the kid wasn't going away. In the end Miles made Dimma look stupid.
Give McBean a go and stop being a stubborn hole! Would the world really fallen down around us all if we gave him a taste??  :banghead

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #523 on: August 14, 2014, 10:44:47 PM »
It's funny, Dimma didn't think Miles was ready either. It took him till about halfway through the year to realise the kid wasn't going away. In the end Miles made Dimma look stupid.
Give McBean a go and stop being a stubborn hole! Would the world really fallen down around us all if we gave him a taste??  :banghead

Everyone who saw Miles play knew he was ready. Every time I've seen McBean play live he hasn't chased, crashed packed or pressured the player. I never saw Miles being screamed at by his team mates from the bench to run and chase. Until he changes this side of his game then he will just continue to look good on the VFL highlights video. Don't get me wrong I think he will make it and he may surprize me if he plays this year but I don't want another forward who only runs one way and is self absorbed.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #524 on: August 15, 2014, 06:04:48 AM »
Agreed Stripes.
I think The Craw is on some pretty crazy drugs to be thinking a 19 year old 202cm 90kg forward is going to be crashing packs against grown men.
He is more likely to be bouncing off those packs than crashing them  :lol

This is why posters wonder about your angle Craw.

It sounds like they want the String Beaner in the team on their terms not his.
Once he shows he can do those team things consistently well, he gets a game.

Seems reasonable.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”