Author Topic: RFC Members Forum & Info Night 14/6/05  (Read 4682 times)

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: RFC Members Forum & Info Night 14/6/05
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2005, 04:03:54 PM »
That is done a lot in NBA trades, trading pick+player for slightly higher pick.

I don't know if we could do it though, maybe trade our 1st rounder (10-13) and 2nd rounder (26-29) and player for a pick around 4-7.

We won't be able to pull off a Hawthorn jump, that was a ridiculous trade by the pies.

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2005, 04:06:44 PM »
Re: Cap room, we need to keep a few % up for sleeves, for when some of the kids ask for more $$$.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2005, 04:16:04 PM »
I don't know if we could do it though, maybe trade our 1st rounder (10-13) and 2nd rounder (26-29) and player for a pick around 4-7.

We really don't want to get into offering 2 or 3 for 1 offers IMHO. Giving up two picks for only one in return even a higher one will rob us of depth down the track. We can still pick up quality (Cogs for instance) with second round picks if we have done our homework.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2005, 04:57:34 PM »
The only reason we wont go after a player is to ensure budgets are maintained- the tigers will record a profit this year but we are no means out of the woods yet. stick to the draft. i also agree that we will try and offload our 1st round pick and a player to move higher up the draft order in round 1.

Spot on RT - that's the key to any financial recovery stick to stringent budgets. It is very important that we as a club not get carried away with making a small profit this year - we need to sustain that sort of performance for the next 5-10 years  :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2005, 05:41:00 PM »

We really don't want to get into offering 2 or 3 for 1 offers IMHO. Giving up two picks for only one in return even a higher one will rob us of depth down the track. We can still pick up quality (Cogs for instance) with second round picks if we have done our homework.

I agree, i ain't a fan of giving away 2-3 players for 1, but thats the only realistic way you are going to get a higher pick!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2005, 05:54:12 PM »
I agree, i ain't a fan of giving away 2-3 players for 1, but thats the only realistic way you are going to get a higher pick!

Giving away someone who isn't up to it along with a pick for a higher pick I'm not totally against. But giving away 1st and 2nd round picks in exchange for a single draft pick should be a no-no. 1st and 2nd round picks are far too valuable IMO. 

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2005, 01:10:47 PM »
Go for depth, as MT says.  With a 1st and 2nd round pick you have almost as much chance of the 2nd round player being as good, if not better than the 1st rounder.  Just because a player is selected early on doesn't guarantee anything and why give yourself just one chance of drafting a good player when you can have two chances at it?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2005, 01:18:27 PM by Tiger Spirit »
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2005, 02:00:28 PM »
Go for depth, as MT says.  With a 1st and 2nd round pick you have almost as much chance of the 2nd round player being as good, if not better than the 1st rounder.  Just because a player is selected early on doesn't guarantee anything and why give yourself just one chance of drafting a good player when you can have two chances at it?

I agree, let me clarify, I WASN'T SAYING WE SHOULD DO IT, I WAS SAYING THIS IS THE ONLY REALISTIC WAY YUOR GOING TO BE ABLE TO GET A HIGHER PICK!!!!!!!

:banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

I'm all for building through the draft, Geez why can't people read!

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2005, 02:12:42 PM »

I agree, let me clarify, I WASN'T SAYING WE SHOULD DO IT, I WAS SAYING THIS IS THE ONLY REALISTIC WAY YUOR GOING TO BE ABLE TO GET A HIGHER PICK!!!!!!!

I reckon it comes down to where your picks are.

A second round pick for a team finishing in the top 4 is equivalent to an early 3rd round for a lower team.

As I said earlier I would look at a player and our first pick if our first pick is outside the top 10 to try and get in the top 5 or 6. Hell you would even have to consider throwing a 3rd round pick I reckon.

But I doubt that a lower team would be interested in giving up a pick 5 for picks say 12 and 28-30. They's want more especially if the talent pool is not as good as previous years.

:rollin :rollin been doin budgets Razor ;D

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2005, 02:51:15 PM »
i think it will be something like our first pick anywhere between 8-11 and atleast 1 player out of (Tivendale, Bowden, Chaffey, Krakouer, Hall) for 1 of Carltons early picks probably pick 3 if Hawthorn get a priority as well.  I also think that its possible that it may be 2 players but in that instance likely to be Tivendale and Chaffey. Leaving Krakouer and Hall to be looked at for trading elsewhere. Sydney were wanting Hall 2 years ago for a 2nd round pick, he is a better player now- Geelong were also interested but may have salary cap issues. Krakouer is interesting i think a whole host of clubs would be interested and we would get another 1st round for Krakouer. If these trades happen look for us to make a play for Marc Murphy with the 2nd 1st rounder. :shh

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2005, 05:31:45 PM »
Go for depth, as MT says. With a 1st and 2nd round pick you have almost as much chance of the 2nd round player being as good, if not better than the 1st rounder. Just because a player is selected early on doesn't guarantee anything and why give yourself just one chance of drafting a good player when you can have two chances at it?

I didn’t think you were suggesting we should go down that track Razorblade.  My post was mainly in response to MT’s about depth and was agreeing with why you wouldn’t want to go through with such a deal.  Guess it just didn’t come across the right way. I’ll try and take a bit more care next time, although it’s a bit of nuisance when work gets in the way of posting.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2005, 01:23:26 PM by Tiger Spirit »
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2005, 05:36:19 PM »
Carlton is the obvious club to go after. Unless there is a miraculous transformation in the form of their list they'll end up easily with a priority pick as well as a high first rounder. Apart from Waite and possibly Stevens their list is weak in the mid-range and youth age break. The rest of their better players - Kouta, Lappin, Camporaele - are getting on in age. They could do with a few half-decent mid-20 something blokes as they couldn't just go all for youth. Any of RT's list are better that what they have now. Most of the "rejects" Pagan picked up were just fringe players at their previous clubs and spent most of their time in the VFL.