Author Topic: Jayden Short [merged]  (Read 167134 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Jayden Short ready to prove himself with Richmond (Northern Weekly)
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2014, 05:56:32 PM »
AFL rookie draft: Jayden Short ready to prove himself with Richmond
Tara Murray
Northern Weekly
03/12/2014

Northern Knights’ Jayden Short set about making up for lost time after missing the start of the TAC Cup season.

“I fought my way back into the season and I wanted to get the best out of myself, which I did,” he said on Wednesday

It’s this fighting spirit which resulted in Short being picked up by Richmond at pick 11 in the AFL rookie draft.

“I still can’t believe it,” Short said only an hour after finding out he was joining an AFL list.

“I thought whatever happens, happens and if it did happen it would be really good.

“No one can believe that it has.”

The Mill Park resident said despite speaking to the Tigers late in the season he didn’t expect much from them or any other club.

“I just waited around to see what would happen.

“I took the day off work to see if my name would be called out and it was.”

Short, who led the TAC Cup in kicking efficiency, will have some familiar faces at his new club.

Two fellow Northern Knights players Reece McKenzie and Jason Castagna also found their way to the Tigers in the national and rookie drafts respectively.

“It will be fantastic to go there with a couple of mates,” Short said.

“It’s going to be hard work and I’m going to do my best. Being on the rookie list I’ve only got one year to prove myself.”

Short will fly to Townsville on Wednesday night to join the Tigers training camp.

Knights talent manager Peter Kennedy said he was thrilled Short and Castagna had been selected in the rookie draft.

“Those were the two we thought that would get picked up.

“We are really pleased Jayden has been given an opportunity. He missed the nationals so it’s a good outcome for him.

“Jason is the one we were disappointed with not being drafted in the national draft.

“He has done everything right and tested really well at national combine.

http://www.northernweekly.com.au/story/1829230/afl-rookie-draft-jayden-short-ready-to-prove-himself-with-richmond/

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Re: Rookie pick 11. Jayden Short
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2014, 06:39:34 PM »
Fitting surname - not only sums our rookie draft but also our midfield and our half-back line.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2014, 06:40:33 PM »
From the Herald-Sun ...

Short missed out on a Vic Metro call-up after suffering a broken jaw in the pre-season.

The 179cm wingman-forward dominated for the Knights this season, showcasing his exceptional kicking skills.

“He had a great year at TAC Cup level, and Champion Data stats ranked him the best kick in the competition with 73.7 per cent efficiency,” Kennedy said.

“Very much his kicking was his point of difference.”

Kennedy said not playing in the nationals hindered Short’s draft chances last Thursday.

“Twenty-seven players from metro TAC Cup clubs were drafted, and of the 27, 24 played in the nationals. Only three didn’t,” Kennedy said.

“Really these days you need to play nationals to give yourself a chance to be drafted.”

Kennedy likened Short, who went at pick 11, to Sam Mitchell in the way he uses the football by foot.

“He can turn both sides of his body, you can’t tell which (is his preferred side),” he said.

“He’s more of an outside player than inside, that’s the area he needs to get stronger at. But he’s a good athlete. He ran 2.98 at the combine (for 20m sprint).”

http://www.news.com.au/national/northern-knights-pair-jayden-short-and-jason-castagna-join-teammate-rhys-mckenzie-at-afl-club-richmond/story-e6frfkp9-1227143366667

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2014, 07:53:34 PM »
Would have preferred Jayden Tall rofl

Wouldn't you prefer......

*puts sunglasses on*

Jayden Post?

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2014, 08:01:39 PM »
He fed McKenzie the ball plenty of times in the highlights.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2014, 08:38:15 PM »
Moves like a mini Lennon for mine.

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2014, 10:55:37 PM »
Good pick, at 179cm he doesn't just need to improve his inside game, he needs to make it his number 1 priority. I say get Jakey King on to the case. He could teach him a thing or two about getting a hard ball. Some people say you can't teach that but it's worth a try.
I love what this guy does when he gets the footy though. He loves a goal but does not have a selfish bone in his body. He is a 100% team first player. He makes life easy for whoever is receiving possession from him because he has the skill to create space for them. He fits the bill for the modern day forward pocket. I think Jack especially would love a player like this alongside of him.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2016, 12:00:06 PM »
The latest Choco's cub watch is about Jayden:

VIDEO: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2016-02-22/chocos-cub-watch-short

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2016, 04:21:04 AM »
The latest Choco's cub watch is about Jayden:

VIDEO: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2016-02-22/chocos-cub-watch-short

* I think Jayden was probably a fair way off it last year and he knew that. He’s come back for the pre-season with a great attitude/ He did a lot of work running in the off-season and he came back and ran some PBs. He’s been working with Craig McRae a lot since he’s come over as Richmond’s VFL coach. Craig played a very similar sort of role in his illustrious career at Brisbane. I actually coached Craig at Glenelg when I first started coaching. There are similar traits as far as their running ability and their goal sense. Craig keeps talking about where the ball’s going to fall, where you need to run and then, if you haven’t got the ball, what you have to do.

* Jayden’s not going to let Daniel Rioli just jump into a spot.  He plays that similar small forward’s role. At training, he’s been a standout with his tackling, his chasing and goalkicking. So he’s some sort of chance of playing seniors. He’s probably improved as much as any of our young players from last year to this year.

Full article: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2016-02-22/chocos-cub-watch-jayden-short

tony_montana

Jayden Short promoted to senior list [update]
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2016, 02:43:33 PM »
Has just been announce that Jayden has been upgraded to the senior list.

Congrats to shorty  :cheers
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 03:18:39 PM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Jayden Short promoted to senior list [update]
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2016, 03:20:13 PM »
Richmond has upgraded skilful, speedy small forward Jayden Short from the rookie list to its primary playing list as a replacement for Reece Conca, who has been placed on the Club’s long-term injury list because of a severe hamstring problem.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2016-03-31/short-wins-promotion

“He did a lot of work running in the off-season, and he came back and ran some PB’s (in the pre-season),” said Richmond’s senior development coach Mark ‘Choco’ Williams.

“At training, he’s been a standout with his tackling, his chasing and goalkicking . . .

“He’s probably improved as much as any of our young players from last year to this year.”

VIDEO: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2016-03-31/chocos-cub-watch-short

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2016, 05:20:37 PM »
Does anyone rate this guy?

I haven't seen much of him.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2016, 05:46:15 PM »
Does anyone rate this guy?

I haven't seen much of him.
I rate Butler higher but this guy keeps doing the right things at training so you just have to reward him. At least he can kick the ball and so I hope he is one of those guys I feel comfortable with when the ball is in his hands...
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Jayden Short promoted to senior list and debuting [update]
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2016, 06:45:21 PM »
Good luck to Jayden in his debut tomorrow night  :).

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Jayden Short promoted to senior list and debuting [update]
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2016, 08:55:39 PM »
With no sub rule this year the best time to debut young blokes is early in the season.  Onya Shorty!    :cheers
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!