Author Topic: Jayden Short [merged]  (Read 171605 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Jayden Short [merged]
« Reply #630 on: March 27, 2022, 08:59:25 PM »
Was brilliant again today

Plays the role, his role exactly the way he is asked to.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #631 on: March 27, 2022, 09:10:56 PM »
He is a jet :shh

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #632 on: March 27, 2022, 09:33:01 PM »
Was our best today, enormous off half back. Had plenty of mates.
Go Tigers!

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #633 on: March 28, 2022, 12:13:20 AM »
Thrives when there's no pressure...and there was less than none from GWS for most of the match...#golfclaps... :shh
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 12:53:47 AM by Diocletian »
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #634 on: April 05, 2022, 02:52:23 PM »
Lloyd’s top 7 running half-backs:

1. Tom Stewart (Geelong)
2. Lachie Whitfield (GWS)
3. Christian Salem (Melbourne)
4. Caleb Daniel (Western Bulldogs)
5. Daniel Rich (Brisbane)
6. Jayden Short (Richmond)
7. Nick Blakey (Sydney)

6. Jayden Short (Richmond)

“A best and fairest in a premiership year.

“Some might disagree with that, but I’ve got him at six.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/04/04/lloyds-top-7-running-half-backs-in-the-afl-right-now/

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #635 on: April 08, 2022, 01:34:05 PM »
In fairness to clawski, Short is an outside player and Graham is an inside mid. You want your inside mids averaging 20+ on a regular basis. Outside players getting 20 kicks is almost a given if they're playing loose in the back half

If that were the case then we wouldn’t have delisted/traded the likes of Corey Ellis, Menadue, Lennon, Markov, etc. who couldn’t get it 10 times, let alone 20 or 25+ that short does when playing the same role.

Every team needs the outside half back flank type to provide run and carry and gain metres out of defence. The fact is that for these type of players, it is not their primary role to defend 1v1 and it’s up to the rest of the defence to cover for them in transition. Would love to hear of some examples of other half back flankers around the league who absolutely lock down their direct offensive opponent while racking up 20+ disposals.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #636 on: April 09, 2022, 12:03:49 AM »
In fairness to clawski, Short is an outside player and Graham is an inside mid. You want your inside mids averaging 20+ on a regular basis. Outside players getting 20 kicks is almost a given if they're playing loose in the back half

If that were the case then we wouldn’t have delisted/traded the likes of Corey Ellis, Menadue, Lennon, Markov, etc. who couldn’t get it 10 times, let alone 20 or 25+ that short does when playing the same role.

Every team needs the outside half back flank type to provide run and carry and gain metres out of defence. The fact is that for these type of players, it is not their primary role to defend 1v1 and it’s up to the rest of the defence to cover for them in transition. Would love to hear of some examples of other half back flankers around the league who absolutely lock down their direct offensive opponent while racking up 20+ disposals.
The players mentioned didn't play loose in the back half. Yes, most of them are outside players but only 2 of them were good users (Lennon and Markov has a reasonable leg I suppose). Not even remotely a proper retort when Markov is the only one who played most of his footy as a rebounding defender.

It's also somehow forgotten that at least 3-4 of Shorts kicks per game come from kick outs. Sometimes at least half a dozen. He's not the only bloke in the league benefiting from that stat padding, but he's not some sort of wizard for having the footy in his hands 20 times when you take that into account
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Online FooffooValve

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #637 on: April 09, 2022, 10:47:43 AM »

It's also somehow forgotten that at least 3-4 of Shorts kicks per game come from kick outs. Sometimes at least half a dozen. He's not the only bloke in the league benefiting from that stat padding, but he's not some sort of wizard for having the footy in his hands 20 times when you take that into account

Sure, but there's a reason he's taking the kickouts too. He generally hits the short target, or can roost it 60m if there isn't a good option.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #638 on: April 09, 2022, 10:58:46 AM »
Menadue and to a lesser extent Ellis defs played the loose hbf role both in the VFL and when called up to the seniors.

Yes let’s make a point to say he gets some of his possessions from kick ins, not like every other hbf with a reliable boot on them doesn’t get the same.

My point still stands, he is doing the exact role asked of him and that of any half back flanker in the league and doing it well.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #639 on: April 09, 2022, 11:15:03 AM »
Everyone needs to remember that sometimes there isn't a 'free man' option and kicking to a 1:1 contest is the next best thing. Anyone that's played footy knows that you go up the wings so that if you lose possession it's harder for your opponent to kick a goal from an angle. This is legit football 101.

As Foo said he either hits a target or gains territory and is valued for it.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #640 on: April 09, 2022, 12:02:12 PM »
Menadue and to a lesser extent Ellis defs played the loose hbf role both in the VFL and when called up to the seniors.

Yes let’s make a point to say he gets some of his possessions from kick ins, not like every other hbf with a reliable boot on them doesn’t get the same.

My point still stands, he is doing the exact role asked of him and that of any half back flanker in the league and doing it well.

No they didn't. Ellis didn't have good use and was never used in a similar fashion to Short. Menadue played some footy across half back but most of his time was spent on a wing. Ben Lennon was a slow forward who played a handful of games down back. Great kick though, one of the best I've ever seen.

No one says he's not playing his role. He has been okay this year and he is playing his role. Always plays his role, thats never been the problem with him.
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #641 on: April 09, 2022, 12:44:55 PM »

No they didn't. Ellis didn't have good use and was never used in a similar fashion to Short. Menadue played some footy across half back but most of his time was spent on a wing. Ben Lennon was a slow forward who played a handful of games down back. Great kick though, one of the best I've ever seen.

No one says he's not playing his role. He has been okay this year and he is playing his role. Always plays his role, thats never been the problem with him.

I guess we remember it differently and maybe not all of the players I named did get a chance at HBF but your claim (which maybe I’m taking too literally tbf) that when playing hbf flank, getting 20+ disposals is almost a given is just not true not just by the players we’ve trialled in that role but across the league too.

And if he is playing the role asked of him and always has and has been ok (think he’s been better than that), then what exactly is the issue? in an underperforming team of 22 players, short has been nowhere near one of the worst, I’d argue he’s actually been one of the better more consistent players (not that that’s saying much for this season). And yet posters will regularly single him out for criticism.

I just think that there’s an unrealistic expectation that every player is going to be at the bottom of packs and winning the contested ball and people see the outside players as easy targets. Happened with Houli then moved onto B.Ellis and now it seems Short has taken over as the whipping boy.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #642 on: April 09, 2022, 08:23:36 PM »
Anyone watching the first half cannot possibly say this bloke isn't a good footballer

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #643 on: April 09, 2022, 08:40:11 PM »
Very silly brain fade at the end of the quarter which I’m sure will serve as ammunition.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #644 on: April 10, 2022, 01:02:14 AM »
Never mind...WP will still give him 3 votes... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.