Author Topic: Jayden Short [merged]  (Read 171619 times)

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
Re: Jayden Short [merged]
« Reply #645 on: April 30, 2022, 02:12:16 AM »
 :shh

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #646 on: April 30, 2022, 06:13:21 AM »
Hardwick was thrilled with the move of Jayden Short into the midfield in Trent Cotchin's absence, gathering 31 possessions.

"(Assistant coach) Andrew McQualter suggested it last week," Hardwick said.

"It is something we'll continue to explore. He looked real good in there, comfortable. He has been a fantastic contributor down back, but if we can find a midfielder out of it, that's a big bonus."

Source: AFL website

Short's stats:

31 disposals (27k, 4h, 9c, 23u, 80.6% eff.)
7 marks
3 tackles
5 clearances (3 centre clearances)
9 inside 50s
4 intercepts
792 metres gained
7 score involvements
3 goal assists
1 behind
84% time on ground

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #647 on: April 30, 2022, 09:25:57 AM »
Gun

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #648 on: April 30, 2022, 09:44:17 AM »

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #649 on: April 30, 2022, 09:53:08 AM »
I hope they do use him sparingly in the middle as an alt game plane but keep him primarily in the backline. I’m thinking back to Baker’s breakout game last year in the middle against gws then kinda floundered unsettled and couldn’t get hands on the footy.

It’s good knowing we have flexibility but we have to keep our players in their strongest positions (Balta backline another example)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #650 on: April 30, 2022, 10:07:10 AM »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #651 on: April 30, 2022, 10:28:31 AM »
Genius move by McQualter. Not such an easy transition to make, does anyone remember when we put Vlaustin in the middle? Not so great but he did have a day out up forward vs the saints that I remember.

Anyway Short is natural leader and has strong voice in the field so I think it works really well. Would like to see how he goes against a better midfield though but it was great effort regardless.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #652 on: April 30, 2022, 10:42:16 AM »
Inspired move.
800m gained and most of it wasn't cheap ball from kick ins and running out of the HBF.

Wonder what claw thought of his game?

Despite being against terrible opposition was a Charlie game.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #653 on: April 30, 2022, 11:30:33 AM »
A great win without get ahead of ourselves
The half glass full people will just enjoy it and the glass half empty people will be looking for the dud😁

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #654 on: May 01, 2022, 09:06:11 PM »
Genius move by McQualter. Not such an easy transition to make, does anyone remember when we put Vlaustin in the middle? Not so great but he did have a day out up forward vs the saints that I remember.

Anyway Short is natural leader and has strong voice in the field so I think it works really well. Would like to see how he goes against a better midfield though but it was great effort regardless.

Reckon it was inspired by Crows with Laird and Swans more recently with Mills who have successfully made the move from a back flank into the midfield. Looks to be a winner.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #655 on: May 02, 2022, 05:03:43 AM »
Cotchin’s heir apparent: Is he Craig Bradley or Ian Stewart?

Just over a week ago, Jayden Short attended the first centre bounce of his 120-game career. After his monster on Saturday, he’s being touted as Trent Cotchin’s replacement.

Paywall: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/news/sunday-tackle-sam-landsbergers-early-likes-and-dislikes-from-round-seven-of-the-2022-afl-season/news-story/21ed139e2f83287ada32c4fc90530e2f

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #656 on: May 02, 2022, 07:47:27 AM »
Who comes up with this stuff? He was brilliant but wtf is with the Cotchin comparison. Not even remotely similar
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #657 on: May 02, 2022, 10:24:19 AM »
Inspired move.
800m gained and most of it wasn't cheap ball from kick ins and running out of the HBF.

Wonder what claw thought of his game?

Despite being against terrible opposition was a Charlie game.

Mate we just had a 109 point win pretty hard to criticise anyone that would be petty and pointless.
I really do urge people to be careful though i dont think he did all that much disimilar to what he usually does. yep he played more up the ground and he actually got the ball inside 50 a fair bit was even credited with some contested ball and had some clearances.
Still dont think he had a hard ball get despite this and to compare his game to the way Cotchin plays  is laughable.

Lets see if they play him  there next week and lets see how he goes when he has a bit of heat applied.
Fmd apart from his usual howlers by foot even Castagna looked good in fact they all did it was a bruise free romp a game imo that proves absolutely nothing.

Bottom line credit to them for sinking the slipper into what was a very ordinary team.No critiques from me this week.

Oh one last thing i hope they continue to play him further up the ground we have a heap of younger blokes who imo should be playing off hb or at least played there when they do get a game.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #658 on: May 03, 2022, 12:25:22 AM »
Returning Tiger Kane Lambert wants fellow premiership star Jayden Short to remain in new midfield role

Marc McGowan
May 3, 2022
NCA NewsWire

Fit-again Tiger Kane Lambert is keen for Jayden Short’s successful midfield experiment last Friday night to be explored further.

With former captain Trent Cotchin out and Dustin Martin still sidelined, coach Damien Hardwick sent sweet-kicking defender Short into the centre with spectacular results.

Short gathered a match-high 31 disposals – 27 of them kicks – to go with nine inside 50s, seven marks, seven score involvements, five clearances and almost 800m gained.

“I thought he was great. ‘Shorty’ is a great friend of mine and it’s great to see him coming on the way he does,” Lambert told Richmond’s website.

“He’s so lethal with his foot – by left or right – and he can hit targets, so going through the midfield is really good for him.

“I think it’s good for our team as well, (because) it gives us a bit of speed through the middle of the ground.”

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/afl-returning-tiger-kane-lambert-wants-fellow-premiership-star-jayden-short-to-remain-in-new-midfield-role/news-story/7b24c5babc5b2d98a26453b0a9ddfe89

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #659 on: May 05, 2022, 02:10:04 PM »
@Richmond_FC coach Damien Hardwick (on role): "He's such a damaging half-back but obviously through the middle he was very good as well. There's probably a fair chance he'll play a similar type of role this week but things can change."

https://twitter.com/HoneyballAFL/status/1522032226103222272