Author Topic: Jayden Short [merged]  (Read 171453 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Jayden Short [merged]
« Reply #720 on: August 10, 2022, 10:01:43 AM »
Can anyone explain to me how someone who is deemed "soft" by some folks can lay so ,any tackles?

Someone afraid of body contact aka "soft" wouldn't be laying tackles right? Or am I missing something :help :huh3
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #721 on: August 10, 2022, 10:26:45 AM »
Can anyone explain to me how someone who is deemed "soft" by some folks can lay so ,any tackles?

Someone afraid of body contact aka "soft" wouldn't be laying tackles right? Or am I missing something :help :huh3

He’s not hard at all contests. I understand Claw’s view on that at times. He does forget things like the time he injured his elbow and still dove head on into contact and belted the ball …

They can’t all be Cotchin bruisers though and suggestions he shouldn’t be in the team are laughable

He brings plenty to the team without doubt 

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #722 on: August 14, 2022, 10:47:24 AM »

Oh deary me you arent that stupid so i take it an attempt to deflect criticism from the player.

You me the whole footy world knows you dont have to be tough or brave to be the hunter its when your the hunted that in this case when short is the hunted that his true colours come out.

Not once have i heard you or most of his defenders make comment on his flaws and they smack you in the face.Never have i heard you comment on the number of times he just panics and slams the ball on his boot and the truth is you cannot miss it yet here you are defending him.
Yep no one can accuse of being blinkered but you and otherswell thats a different story.

Me i open to seeing and commenting on these things you and others avoid them like the plague.

Offline Gigantor

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #723 on: August 14, 2022, 11:05:20 AM »
Claw I have no idea what you mean when you say it’s when Jayden is hunted that his true colours come out . When one is hunted you take evasive action I would think until the next contest comes along .

Offline JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #724 on: August 14, 2022, 11:46:25 AM »
Every defender dumps a panic kick out of their zone, what else are they supposed to do?  Hatch it & get done for HTB?  Kick it out of bounds & get done for DOB?  Panic handball to the next tiger & transfer the pressure onto them while keeping the ball in the hot zone? 
There's a whole host of bad choices for a defender under the pump, Short is one defender out of many in the AFL but they all face the same choices. 
At least Short bangs it 50-60mtrs to clear the immediate problem, buying his team mates a few seconds to get into position for the rebound.  I watched Adam Saad do the exact same thing multiple times last night, at least the crowd got their 'woof' in while Saad was panicking ...      ::)   
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Jayden Short's AFL stocks at Richmond keep rising (AAP)
« Reply #725 on: August 30, 2022, 01:22:47 PM »
Short's AFL stocks at Richmond keep rising

AAP
Tue, 30 August 2022

Jayden Short is ready to take Richmond into their next era of success.

The 26-year-old answered the call when the Tigers needed midfield reinforcements earlier in the season, switching from half-back.

He has thrived, averaging 24.5 disposals and 588.9 metres gained and helping Richmond charge into the finals.

"It's been a bit of a challenge and something that I've had to work on and something I've had to learn, it's new," Short told AAP ahead of Thursday's elimination final against Brisbane at the Gabba.

"I've enjoyed the challenge, to be honest. It's always good to challenge yourself as you get a bit older."

Always challenging Short, on and off the field, is teammate and housemate Liam Baker.

"He's just an amazing player and he just works his arse off," Short said.

"He wants to be the best player he can be, it's pretty inspiring to see him go about it and it certainly motivates me to be a better player as well."

Getting better each year has become a habit for Short.

He just missed out on the 2017 premiership team, then busted a gut to make the cut in 2019 before winning Richmond's best and fairest in the 2020 triumph.

"That's (improving each year) something I've strived to do since the day I walked in the doors," he said.

"I had a pretty good mentor in (recently retired Tiger) Kane Lambert who showed me the ropes early days.

"He got drafted at 23. I was 18. I didn't have much of an idea of what hard work was to be honest.

"From the day I met him, all he really showed me was the harder you work, the luckier you will get.

"So I just chased his arse around for a few years and just tried to do everything that he did and I think it's held me in good stead."

Short, signed until the end of 2027, has delighted in the emergence of young teammates like Josh Gibcus and Noah Cumberland.

He's enjoying teaching them, just like Trent Cotchin, Jack Riewoldt and the retiring Shane Edwards did for him all those years ago.

"They're just amazing people and they've made these club who we are and we're lucky that they're still here to be honest, so I hope they (Cotchin and Riewoldt) continue on," he said.

"But it is awesome that I can be here and see the club grow."

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/shorts-afl-stocks-richmond-keep-000000641.html

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #726 on: September 02, 2022, 09:18:57 AM »
Still maintain his trade bait he aren't no midfielder and we got the back 6 covered.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #727 on: September 02, 2022, 09:25:13 AM »
Still maintain his trade bait he aren't no midfielder and we got the back 6 covered.

I'm sure Claw will echo your thoughts

But Short won't be put up for trade, especially 3 months after they signed him to a 5 year extension

He like so many had a very poor night
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #728 on: September 03, 2022, 01:51:25 AM »

I'm sure Claw will echo your thoughts

But Short won't be put up for trade, especially 3 months after they signed him to a 5 year extension

He like so many had a very poor night

Your 100% spot on i think he would get us a decent player or pick and he is superfluous to needs.
Your second point well when they resigned him for so long i straight away thought yep over rating and a mistake. Time will tell but i have to say he was awful in our loss to Brisbane and he is not a player who will drag a team over the line hes one who needs those around him playing well for him to flourish. Will we see this resigning as another mistake in a few years time.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #729 on: September 03, 2022, 10:48:36 AM »
They can’t all be front rowers , he usually plays his role with most knowledgeable people rating him highly. He will never be a Townsend type but is a handy outside player.
If they signed him for 5 years what’s the chances of Richmond discarding him

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #730 on: September 04, 2022, 04:48:41 AM »
15. Jayden Short

His kicking was precise, setting up the Tigers superbly across half-back. Gained more territory than any other Tigers player. He finished with 20 disposals and six score involvements.

Foxsports rating: 7

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/richmond-tigers/afl-finals-2022-richmond-tigers-vs-brisbane-lions-second-elimination-final-highlights-stats-best-and-worst-players/news-story/7fc45960b9d79ca09461c1ff3de0ff76

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #731 on: October 13, 2022, 12:39:05 AM »
15. Jayden Short

His kicking was precise, setting up the Tigers superbly across half-back. Gained more territory than any other Tigers player. He finished with 20 disposals and six score involvements.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/richmond-tigers/afl-finals-2022-richmond-tigers-vs-brisbane-lions-second-elimination-final-highlights-stats-best-and-worst-players/news-story/7fc45960b9d79ca09461c1ff3de0ff76
Just came across this and it really made me laugh. No wonder so many have credability problems with the game its systems and the way its reported.

On another note Hopper,Taranto, Bolton, Cotchin, Martin,Prestia and Sonsie say hellow as far as a mid spot goes. Also despite their shortcomings McIntosh and Pickett are miles in front of him as wingers.
No one want's to say it but there is no longer a place for him in the midfield.
The same can be said down back.
Yep a 5 yr contract well im already questioning it.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #732 on: October 13, 2022, 04:31:52 AM »
Not his biggest fan but he gets a game down back unless someone  bursts onto the scene and proves to be as effective of a rebounder with better defensive skills.
Defensive set-up has to be Vlastuin, Tarrant, Grimes, Balta, broad and Rioli + I think Baker/Short will easily be in the side due to their ability to play across 3 lines.
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #733 on: October 13, 2022, 10:20:00 AM »
15. Jayden Short

Just came across this and it really made me laugh. No wonder so many have credability problems with the game its systems and the way its reported.

On another note Hopper,Taranto, Bolton, Cotchin, Martin,Prestia and Sonsie say hellow as far as a mid spot goes. Also despite their shortcomings McIntosh and Pickett are miles in front of him as wingers.
No one want's to say it but there is no longer a place for him in the midfield.
The same can be said down back.
Yep a 5 yr contract well im already questioning it.

I totally agree that's why I maintain 💯 he should have been traded he aren't getting a gig in the midfield, and for me, the back 6 is settling.

Offline MaccaDacca

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #734 on: October 13, 2022, 10:41:57 AM »
I cant believe people under-estimate Shorty's value to the team.

We are actually quite low on run and carry distributors like Shorty.

He stepped up to the midfield when needed this year which hurt our backline in my opinion.

Shorty, Bakes and D Rioli are very important to our running game out of defence.

And I dont think Shorty is 'soft at all'