Author Topic: Music appreciation thread  (Read 9818 times)

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
Music appreciation thread
« on: January 16, 2015, 12:09:56 AM »
Started this thread as a place for musicians and lovers of music to discus music and post some cool music clips.

As a drummer one of my favorite clips is a bit of Omar Hakim Wizardry from Stings "Bring on the night" tour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdijsvPnyoc  Starts at 3:13

Mark King, Level 42 at Wembley amazing Bass Solo. second half of the clip is unbelievable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdijsvPnyoc

« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 04:15:08 PM by tiga »

dwaino

Re: Musical appreciation thread
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 12:35:15 AM »
About to catch some shut eye and can't link anything at the moment but one of my favourite clips on youtube is Richie Sambora doing some improv on a 3 neck guitar before Dead or Alive. Also like looking up insanely gifted Asian kids playing ridiculously difficult video game themes on 8 string guitars and stuff.

I'm mostly into some pretty extreme stuff but more up the alley of many on this forum I'm really keen on Deep Purple (especially Machinehead), Rainbow and Dio era Sabbath, some early Eagles (dat guitar playing), and I remember dad also cranking Slade Alive a lot when I was a kid.

Musical interests differ greatly, so gear is a great topic. What is your set up tiga? Electric, acoustic? Ever stuffed around with DAWs and doing some recording? Always wonder how the hell drummers go when there are things like kids, neighbours, wives etc  ;D

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 12:48:49 AM »
About to catch some shut eye and can't link anything at the moment but one of my favourite clips on youtube is Richie Sambora doing some improv on a 3 neck guitar before Dead or Alive. Also like looking up insanely gifted Asian kids playing ridiculously difficult video game themes on 8 string guitars and stuff.

I'm mostly into some pretty extreme stuff but more up the alley of many on this forum I'm really keen on Deep Purple (especially Machinehead), Rainbow and Dio era Sabbath, some early Eagles (dat guitar playing), and I remember dad also cranking Slade Alive a lot when I was a kid.

Musical interests differ greatly, so gear is a great topic. What is your set up tiga? Electric, acoustic? Ever stuffed around with DAWs and doing some recording? Always wonder how the hell drummers go when there are things like kids, neighbours, wives etc  ;D

dwaino I currently have a Roland TD-6 as I had to offload my ludwig acoustic kit because of kids and neighbours. It has mesh snare but all the other pads are rubber. Hoping to get a TD-20 in the near future. I also play piano badly.  ;D a mate of mine plays bass and we jam every now and then. Haven't used a DAW but I would love to try one out. Do most of my recording and editing on my standard PC. I have rigged up my TD6 to my xbox to play band hero lol.
So what about you? You play guitar don't you? Knowing you you've probably got a Gibson Les Paul!!

« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 01:11:35 AM by tiga »

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 02:49:16 AM »

Stargazer's the greatest song of all time.

As youtubing for child prodigies....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqSx8kfwtpM
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 04:55:00 AM »
All about that bass-Megan Trainor

But seriously im more of a alternative rock kind of guy.  As hard s I go would be bullet for my valentine who I used to enjoy. As for talent I have 0

dwaino

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 07:00:57 AM »

dwaino I currently have a Roland TD-6 as I had to offload my ludwig acoustic kit because of kids and neighbours. It has mesh snare but all the other pads are rubber. Hoping to get a TD-20 in the near future. I also play piano badly.  ;D a mate of mine plays bass and we jam every now and then. Haven't used a DAW but I would love to try one out. Do most of my recording and editing on my standard PC. I have rigged up my TD6 to my xbox to play band hero lol.
So what about you? You play guitar don't you? Knowing you you've probably got a Gibson Les Paul!!

My bro in law does something similar with his Roland kit and rock band of something on ps3.

No don't have a gibbo  ;D one day maybe. I have an LTD eclipse that looks like one though lol. I'm a lefty so guitar selection and prices make it hard sometimes. Crown of my collection is a custom E - II (jap built ESP). Have a couple schecters, an ibanez,  most of which I've done pickup changes on. One is a 7 string. Run into a 100w Blackstar tube through a couple reverb and delay pedals. I have a Native Instruments interface and use the Sonar X3 DAW with amplitude,  but have put it away for a while. I recently rebuilt my Pc which is for gaming and I don't want to bloat it. Going to grab a mac soon so I can run Logic and dedicate it to recording.

Eat em alive who posts on here has a great guitar collection. After a 16 month wait he just got his hand crafted custom axe. It's really nice.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 08:46:58 AM »

Now you're talking Dwaino!!  Have got plenty of these in my collection and love to play Rainbow, Sabbath and Slade when I'm out jogging.  My tastes are fairly wide - I can listen to most things (not Hip Hop or Techno) and have a lot of Jethro Tull, ACDC, Rod Stewart, Pink Floyd, Beatles, Johnny Cash and Elvis as well.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 10:24:29 AM »

Now you're talking Dwaino!!  Have got plenty of these in my collection and love to play Rainbow, Sabbath and Slade when I'm out jogging.  My tastes are fairly wide - I can listen to most things (not Hip Hop or Techno) and have a lot of Jethro Tull, ACDC, Rod Stewart, Pink Floyd, Beatles, Johnny Cash and Elvis as well.

Im partial to some Diamond Head

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 04:25:48 PM »

Im partial to some Diamond Head

Are you evil? Yes you are....

- Gustav Mahler

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 04:25:48 PM »
I appreciate music but I doubt anyone on here would appreciate my musical tastes  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 04:42:10 PM »
Jazz?

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2015, 05:05:19 PM »
Jazz,Hard Rock,Metal,Soul,Classical-Bring it on!
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2015, 05:41:19 PM »
You are soul, oxxford.

- Gustav Mahler

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2015, 05:45:23 PM »
Yep, I'm a music appreciator!  I should be, I've been playing bass for over 30 years & various instruments from the age of 3.  I've played just about everything on bass, from pop to rock to punk to country to western to blues to heavy metal.  These days I stop trying to categorize the different styles of music, age & some wisdom has taught me that its all just music!  The only difference from one genre to the next are the actual sounds to use, tempo & attitude then steer the music into the various genres.  I have spent the last 20 years playing in the same band.  We started out as a Hawkwind cover band doing everything on The Space Ritual & then branching out into other albums from the core members & associated musicians.  After slogging away under the cover band yolk we decided to write originals - nine albums later we are legends in our own lunch boxes!  Master of the Universe still tops our most often played list.   
Of all the hundreds of gigs I have played over those 30 odd years the one that stands out was to play at a local church social in an knocked together band with a churchie friend.  We let the very conservative crowd have some Motorhead at ear-shattering volume!  Ace Of Spades sorted them out!  Then to show some variety we backed up Motorhead with Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing at a very pedestrian pace, Brother At Arms to mellow them out & then finished them off with Holiday In Cambodia by the Dead Kennedys!  I can still see the shocked faces in the crowd as we screamed out 'Pol Pot' at them at break neck speed!  We really nailed those churchies, oddly enough the invited us back for the next social!   :lol

Personal faves:- its a long & confusing list but the Beatles are still my absolute fave!
Notable gigs:- supporting the Sunny Boys at 21st Century in Frankston & supporting the Painters & Dockers at the Tropicana Club in Richmond (both with a band called The Swing Club in the 90's).
Favourite movie - This is Spinal Tap!

Music & Football are a great combination in Melbourne, it doesn't matter where you go you get lots of both!   
Rock on Tigers!    :gotigers

ps Dwaino - a brilliant virtual recording studio program is Ableton Live, version 5.  Downloadable, free & completely versatile - it does anything & everything!  Logic Audio is awesome too, but not as flexible or friendly, imo.   
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2015, 06:05:39 PM »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)