Author Topic: What are Richmond truly elite at doing?  (Read 6631 times)

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
What are Richmond truly elite at doing?
« on: January 29, 2017, 09:29:40 AM »
As I was filing through my mail this week waiting for my memberships to arrive (5 in total, rolling payments so no reason for any delay, rang and complained before Christmas - that worked as I'm still waiting!) I wondered to myself - what exactly do Richmond implement as a club that would be considered AFL elite?
Coaching, player development, recruitment, the VFL team, facilities, social media, governance, sponsorship, making money, community, marketing, membership (to what extent is that the market vs club capability?), venue deals, match day events
Is there anything truly elite - on or off field - where Richmond perform as a club?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 10:04:24 AM by Hard Roar Tiger »
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: What are Richmond truly elite at doing?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 10:11:23 AM »
Stability.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 10:49:30 AM »
After much rational consideration there is one thing.

The only thing elite about the club is its members (and fans) loyalty.

In all honesty the club's PR department is good/daring insofar that it takes huge risks with its spin and shaping falsehoods into supposed truths, but ultimately that's to the detriment of the club and members.

That's it.
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Raoul Duke

• Premiership Captain
  • Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 11:07:44 AM »
Selecting coaches.
The possibility of physical and mental collapse is now very real. No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 11:17:45 AM »

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 12:24:58 PM »
After much rational consideration there is one thing.

The only thing elite about the club is its members (and fans) loyalty.

In all honesty the club's PR department is good/daring insofar that it takes huge risks with its spin and shaping falsehoods into supposed truths, but ultimately that's to the detriment of the club and members.

That's it.

See I'd say the loyalty of its members is a legacy of past administrations winning premierships and people's sense of obligation to sticking with one team.
It's not a reflection of any person on the payroll right now.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 12:57:46 PM »
While I expect people to disagree with me, whack me when I put on my clarity cap rather than my "whackety, whack, whack" cap I think there are a few areas where we can say the Club is elite

From my understanding of "corporate governance" our Club is elite in this area. Even the AFL have rated us excellent in this area and one of the best clubs in the comp. We were poor we are no in the top 3

Community programs and partnerships is another area where we are elite. Our Indigenous programs are considered some of the best in the country. The KGI has certain KPI's it must meet to continue to receive government funding and not only reaches those but exceeds them. Our partnership with the A&M Foundation again is considered one of the best in the AFL.

Our facilities since the re-development are elite. But the goal must be to continue to improve them and the only way to that is through generating more income.

I think despite that stupid Age article that suggested we were poor in sponsorship (amazing how you can twist something to create a story  ;D) we are OK in that area, not elite but better than what was portrayed in that article. AFL figures state that for major partnership that is jumper and other on field (shorts, coaches, etc) we are not in the bottom 3rd far from it.

Up until ME Bank walked away we had one of the best ground naming rights deals in the comp. the problem is it still hasn't been replaced. While I understand the reasons behind it (eg not selling for the sake of it and wanting the best deal) it simply isn't a good look. Now we have Décor not renewing after just one 3 year term. Again, I understand why but 4 weeks out from our first televised pre-season game and we don't have a replacement isn't a great look. 

As for the other categories

Membership and I only look at how they treat members and not the on field as they are 2 very different beasts - ask me say 3 years ago I would have said yes but in the last couple of season member "benefits" have gone backwards. They take our $$$ but give less and less back in return. Just the most basic of things for example eg the stickers we get they are putrid, they fade after a couple of months, they look cheap (granted they are but please), the members cap = cheap and nasty. That's what I mean by benefits. As for the coterie groups...well I can say for 2017 they appear to have got things back on track after taking away a number of things in 2016 but still charging more and then receiving a litany of complaints  ;D

VFL Program - been one of its harshest of critics, said from the beginning they got it wrong. Finally last year they seemed to have made an effort to get it right but 2017 will show how far they've come with that and how far they still have to go. A long way of being elite IMHO

Money Making (revenue raising via non core business) - took a big step forward in the establishing the Leisure centre business but again far too early to say it's a massive success. But a step forward. Irony for me is that they could have had all of this step up years ago under the deal they had out at Craigieburn; which despite people's sooking about it (especially distance) was an outstanding one put together by Steve Wirght and the management team of the time. Who knows how different things would have been revenue wise if the club had continued to embrace it after Wright left. But no they didn't & Benny Gale wanted outta there as soon as the initial deal was over and then guess what he signed a deal with Beaconsfield (Cardinnia Shire) that is practically the same hmmm... what was that about distance again  ::). But I digrese  :whistle

Have said a number of times in the last 6-12 months there's been a massive disconnect between the Club and its members and supporters. Right that wrong and a lot of the areas (the off field) we are not elite will turn around very quickly
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 03:00:52 PM »
Promoting feminism

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 03:02:53 PM »
Political correctness?
"Sliding doors moment.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2017, 05:18:34 PM »
Willy, given the breadth of things the club struggles to deliver at an elite level, how can governance be considered elite?

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2017, 05:31:33 PM »
We corrall pretty good.
"Sliding doors moment.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2017, 06:11:35 PM »
We are elite at our players spruiking political correctness. Like our players "boycotting triple M". LMAO, Concentrate on winning football games fellas.

Personally I think we need more hardness and chopstick incidents

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2017, 06:37:46 PM »
More unsociable footy please... :shh

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2017, 06:41:23 PM »
Losing unloseable games

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2017, 06:42:01 PM »