Author Topic: What's our best ruck combo?  (Read 32909 times)

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: What's our best ruck combo?
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2020, 08:30:12 PM »
I agree on Balta to defence it seems a good long term prospect but he has to earn his stripes there.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2020, 10:00:27 PM »
I actually think Soldo is a better first ruck than Nank. Nank better around the ground but he is well beaten by bigger and better rucks. Soldo holds his own better against the top shelf ones and despite being repeatedly panned by everyone here I think he improved enormously towards the end of 2019 and is by no means ordinary.

Was finding more ball, clunking marks and jagging those easy goals he needs to.

I would consider bringing in CCJ > Nank for a try during preseason games to see how it looks.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2020, 10:01:15 PM »
A ruck's main job is to ruck and Soldo does that better than Nank.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2020, 01:19:01 AM »
Let’s not forget he is officially brave and fearless premiership ruckman soldo

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2020, 08:59:29 AM »
His pure ruck work is way better than Nank's and he is improving around the ground.

Slotted a nice goal in the GF.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2020, 10:00:23 AM »
A ruck's main job is to ruck and Soldo does that better than Nank.
I respectfully disagree. IMHO.rucks are mostly for pack bullocking work,.blocks, tackles etc with a mark or two around the ground as a mobile tall.

Offline yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2020, 12:23:11 PM »
I actually think Soldo is a better first ruck than Nank. Nank better around the ground but he is well beaten by bigger and better rucks. Soldo holds his own better against the top shelf ones and despite being repeatedly panned by everyone here I think he improved enormously towards the end of 2019 and is by no means ordinary.

I would consider bringing in CCJ > Nank for a try during preseason games to see how it looks.

Not everyone is panning him, just those who have disliked him from the onset.

It is a long time since we have had a ruckman who can spoon feed our onballers.

Nanks strength is his around the ground work and is competitive in the ruck.

Soldo strength is his ruckwork and is competitive around the ground.

Great to have both these ruck resources available on game day.

CCJ is competitive in the ruck, competitive around the ground but a terrible kick for goal.

If CCJ could fix up his kicking woes he would be a good forward who could go into the ruck.

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2020, 02:15:17 PM »

Comparison on marking.
Soldo 33 marks from 14 games in 2019.
Averages  2.05 over career.
Last 4 games in 2019 - 5,1,4,4.

Nankervis 28 markes from 12 games in 2019.
Averages 2.99 over career.
Last 4 ames in 2019 - 2,0,0,5.

It was true IMO that Soldo was a poor around the ground ruck in early years but has closed the gap in 2019.
When the facts change it might be time to revisit conclusions. It is allowable for most people to change their opinions.

As an old ruckman who watched a bit of VFL on the telly last year, CCJ is clearly the best tap ruckman we have. A lot harder in AFL though.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2020, 02:32:31 PM »
Short term -  Chol/one of Nankervis or Soldo, long term -  Chol/CCJ... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2020, 03:23:01 PM »

Comparison on marking.
Soldo 33 marks from 14 games in 2019.
Averages  2.05 over career.
Last 4 games in 2019 - 5,1,4,4.

Nankervis 28 markes from 12 games in 2019.
Averages 2.99 over career.
Last 4 ames in 2019 - 2,0,0,5.

It was true IMO that Soldo was a poor around the ground ruck in early years but has closed the gap in 2019.
When the facts change it might be time to revisit conclusions. It is allowable for most people to change their opinions.

As an old ruckman who watched a bit of VFL on the telly last year, CCJ is clearly the best tap ruckman we have. A lot harder in AFL though.
The conclusion to that is they were both very poor around the ground this yr.. At least Nankervis had an injury excuse for the yr and he was very good in the g/f but they had nothing to beat in that game a past it beat up mumford.

You do realise Soldo has taken just 8 contested marks in his entire career. 7 of them this yr .You could count on one hand the number of times hes had more than 10 disposals a game over the entirety.
Has he improved i suppose he has but where hes at is still not good enough.

Offline Tiger Tragic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2020, 03:58:55 PM »
I can't believe Soldo's development, particularly in the 2nd half of 2019.  I had him delisted.  Now we have him, Nank and CCJ (who has the potential to be an AA ruck IMHO).  What the hell do we do with them all?  At the end of the day we need to expose CCJ somewhat in this upcoming season.  He needs a taste and needs to know he is in our plans.  Letting him go due to lack of opportunity would be equal to or worse than Ottens

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2020, 09:25:53 PM »
All this love for CCJ after 1 AFL game.

Nank and Soldo are miles ahead of him as a ruckman

And Jack and Lynch are miles ahead of him as a KPF.

CCJ has heaps of potential but that is all it is atm.

He is still just a boy and if he plays 5 games in 2020, then it’s bonus.

Online sdc01

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2020, 10:14:51 PM »
CCJ's disposal = Dean Cox

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2020, 09:41:17 AM »
CCJ has to prove it at the highest level. We have lots of blokes that beat up state level players in the VFL.

Soldo + Nank is a good combo, and I can see CCJ + Chol possibly pushing them out of their respective spots in the future.

RE: Soldo - remember he has been playing footy for what, 3-4 years? 5 max? Nank has played footy most of his life, he's a battler and solid player but Soldo with more development I think will be a genuinely good ruck. His work in the ruck and around the ground has improved by streets in the last 6 months. What we see with Nank now is all we'll ever get - a competitive guy who is good around the ground and gets consistently beaten in the ruck by most high end opposition rucks. He will always get manhandled by the likes of Gawn, Grundy, NicNat etc. Soldo is 100% required for those blokes.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2020, 12:09:07 PM »
All this love for CCJ after 1 AFL game.

Nank and Soldo are miles ahead of him as a ruckman

And Jack and Lynch are miles ahead of him as a KPF.

CCJ has heaps of potential but that is all it is atm.

He is still just a boy and if he plays 5 games in 2020, then it’s bonus.

Of course nankervis and soldo are in front of ccj. Neither Nankervis or soldo offer much as a fwd though.

Why does it have to be two ruckmen in the team.
Why cant it be Nankervis OR Soldo playing 70 80% of games and CC-J playing mainly as a fwd offering a chop out.
Coleman- Jones looks to be a far superior mark than in particular Soldo and Nankervis and imo is already in front of those two as a fwd.

At the end of the day CC-J may end up primarily as a kpf rather than a ruckman and if something happens to Lynch in particular or riewoldt, their is only   CC-J or Chol who could come in and play kpf atm.

On Soldo i hope he can keep improving but atm hes good at the ruck contest but remains poor around the ground and Nankervis is the opposite tends to get beaten at the ruck contest but is good when it hits the ground and around the ground.

Would be nice to have a ruckman who  is good at both aspects rather than playing two ruckmen to get both aspects. Which is what we do atm imo.

The questions i ask is by dropping one of the ruckmen and playing the promising better rounded cc-j do we lose too much. i dont think we would.He would compete in the ruck and offer more as a fwd imo.

What is better for the team  the future and if injuries hit play two ruckmen or play a fwd/ruck. I think the latter and cannot see the point in playing two big lumbering ruckmen who only offer half of what is needed or what should be aimed at.

Premiership team or not it still incumbent on those in charge to get games into younger players who look likely to offer more than the incumbents.