Author Topic: Samson Ryan [merged]  (Read 59419 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Pick 40. Samson Ryan
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2020, 04:08:05 PM »
We thought at the time that Jack would still be available at 13 and that we'd get a ready made tall in Polak. It was a huge risk especially in hindsight but that was the reasoning. Jack had puffy fat as a 17-18 year old and their were concerns about his agility and if he would be just a mark & kick forward at AFL level. This was the era when athletes were all the rage. Coming from div 2 state in Tassie would've pushed Jack down the order compared to the other talls rated at the time ahead of him.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2020, 12:06:09 AM »
This boy looks to have some good athletic ability. I hope we add Mansell, Couroupis and Green to the list too.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2021, 01:20:15 PM »
We thought at the time that Jack would still be available at 13 and that we'd get a ready made tall in Polak. It was a huge risk especially in hindsight but that was the reasoning. Jack had puffy fat as a 17-18 year old and their were concerns about his agility and if he would be just a mark & kick forward at AFL level. This was the era when athletes were all the rage. Coming from div 2 state in Tassie would've pushed Jack down the order compared to the other talls rated at the time ahead of him.

We knew there was a very good chance that one of the many talls 11 in the top 16 being spoken about would get to our pick a little bit different to us thinking JR would be there. We were taking the best one that was left weather that was JR Reid Frawley N Brown etc.

The two Tassie boys were highly rated Thorpe and Riewoldt.Yep JR had a few knocks on his agility but his footy smarts even back then was greatly talked about and many had him in the top 10.

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2021, 09:25:38 AM »
I was at the draft night that discussed the Riewoldt draft. The thing I took away from the discussion was that it was a pick between Jack or Reid and the club thought that Collingwood with two picks would take one of them at 10, leaving the other for us. They talked up Jack as the main target.

Collingwood took Reid at 8 so I was nervous that they were then going to take Jack at 10. But they went with Nathan Brown.

Bulldogs took Everitt and Melbourne took Frawley.

It was the first time I took a real interest in the draft. The draft night thing was a great chance to see how the club was thinking. Would go to one again if the club ran one.

Offline HKTiger

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2021, 03:29:12 PM »
I was at the draft night that discussed the Riewoldt draft. The thing I took away from the discussion was that it was a pick between Jack or Reid and the club thought that Collingwood with two picks would take one of them at 10, leaving the other for us. They talked up Jack as the main target.

Collingwood took Reid at 8 so I was nervous that they were then going to take Jack at 10. But they went with Nathan Brown.

It was the first time I took a real interest in the draft. The draft night thing was a great chance to see how the club was thinking. Would go to one again if the club ran one.

Was there with you Gracie. The key thing for me was Shed and how they knew what he would fill out to. And the metrics they were starting to collect. Hayden who had built the spreadsheet we were shown and was building the database for recruiting is still at the club. That is huge IP. My understanding is that he is one of the longest serving IT guys running the recruiting data at any club. That is a huge advantage.

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2021, 03:32:19 PM »

Was there with you Gracie. The key thing for me was Shed and how they knew what he would fill out to. And the metrics they were starting to collect. Hayden who had built the spreadsheet we were shown and was building the database for recruiting is still at the club. That is huge IP. My understanding is that he is one of the longest serving IT guys running the recruiting data at any club. That is a huge advantage.

Been a while between drinks HKT

A few in that draft played for us. Grigg Hampson

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2021, 04:39:57 PM »
Houli too along with Jack & Sheds.

From my biased top 10 redone 2006 draft, we've scored three.

1. Selwood
2. J.Riewoldt
3. J.Kennedy (Swans)
4. Hawkins
5. Edwards
6. R.Gray
7. Boak
8. Goldstein
9. Frawley
10. Houli

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_AFL_draft#2006_national_draft
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2021, 09:41:58 PM »
Yes, sheds at pick 26 should have been a top 10 in hindsight. Still does not get the accolades he deserves
Funny haven’t heard the carry on about Tambling for years now

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2021, 01:22:52 AM »
Houli too along with Jack & Sheds.

From my biased top 10 redone 2006 draft, we've scored three.

1. Selwood
2. J.Riewoldt
3. J.Kennedy (Swans)
4. Hawkins
5. Edwards
6. R.Gray
7. Boak
8. Goldstein
9. Frawley
10. Houli

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_AFL_draft#2006_national_draft

So guessing Grigg gets into the top 3 ruckman from that draft  :snidegrin

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2021, 01:12:19 PM »
Hardwick has been "blown away" by the 207cm Ryan's development already, with the Queenslander among a troupe of young Tigers ready to step up.

Source: AFL website.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2021, 09:58:05 AM »
Wouldn't surprise me this kid overtakes Chol and CCJ this year.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2021, 05:52:04 PM »
from 05 to 2015  the last yr Jackson was in fully in charge, and yes regardless of what the apologists say, Jackson was very much in charge of the 05 draft  it was publicly stated stated he was taken on full time on the back of that draft lol.They were indeed happy with themselves.

It was also stated he and Miller had two partimers at the club one bloke from north and they had 6 recruiters scattered about the place this has been stated by the club in articles.

Hindsight is wonderful isn't it. that draft is a bust and Jackson takes no responsibility.

At the end of the day from 05 to 15 we had 44 nd picks in total .Yes we had some success with early picks, fmd we had enough of em.
In those 11 drafts Jacksons time in charge imo, we managed to find just 6 players  after pick 30. They were Astbury 35, McIntosh 33, Butler 67
Lloyd 66 and Broad 67 the last two being mature pickups so in fact we found just three young players in the nd after pick 30 in those 11 seasons
and peple defend this they must thinking people are morons.

In 11 seasons we used just 8 psd picks just 4 were youngsters White, Gourdis Grimes and O'Hanlon.I would argue only Grimes is a find given Psd players are taken after extra time.

Not a lot there imo very poor indeed . But it gets worse imo. we had 43 rookie picks in those 11 seasons. While its arguable the only players we found who had not already been in the afl sysyem were. King a mature recruit, Nahas mature recruit , Short, Castagna, Lambert mature recruit and Soldo.

Lets just be plain honest. lets at least acknowledge the numbers and they scream out mediocrity.
Yes it is to be expected that clubs will get their fair share of higher picks right,and Jackson has,  it is acknowledged by most though that the good recruiters have a good hit ratio with lower and rookie picks.

Just when you thought it was bad and could not get any worse take a look at the mature recruits we bought to the club thru trade f/a nd rookie picks etc  in Jacksons 11 yr tenure.
In fairness i dont blame Jackson for the majority of mature players we have bought to the club but as head of recruitment he must have had a fair say about each player heres the list.

Kingsley, Morton, Cartledge, Howat, Knobel, P Bowden, Humm, King,Hislop, Thompson, Cousins, Farmer, Polak, Derickx, Grigg, Miller, Nahas, Houli,A Maric, I Maric, Morris, Chaplin, Knights, Edwards, Petterd, Lonergan, Stephenson, Lloyd, Hampson, Banfield, Thomas, Miles, Hunt, Lambert, Arnot, Yarran, A Moore, Townsend, Broad,

Thats 39 mature recruits and you would be lucky to find 10 good players or 10 who made a decent contribution .

People say fj is mostlyresponsible for the players who played in the premierships but that by itself is an amazingly blinkerd and skewed way to look at it no wonder it took 13 yrs to achieve anything.

Ah well i suppose im wasting my time tiger supporters are among the leaders in the comp when it comes to revisionism.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2021, 06:16:15 PM »
from 05 to 2015  the last yr Jackson was in fully in charge, and yes regardless of what the apologists say, Jackson was very much in charge of the 05 draft  it was publicly stated stated he was taken on full time on the back of that draft lol.They were indeed happy with themselves.

It was also stated he and Miller had two partimers at the club one bloke from north and they had 6 recruiters scattered about the place this has been stated by the club in articles.

Hindsight is wonderful isn't it. that draft is a bust and Jackson takes no responsibility.

At the end of the day from 05 to 15 we had 44 nd picks in total .Yes we had some success with early picks, fmd we had enough of em.
In those 11 drafts Jacksons time in charge imo, we managed to find just 6 players  after pick 30. They were Astbury 35, McIntosh 33, Butler 67
Lloyd 66 and Broad 67 the last two being mature pickups so in fact we found just three young players in the nd after pick 30 in those 11 seasons
and peple defend this they must thinking people are morons.

In 11 seasons we used just 8 psd picks just 4 were youngsters White, Gourdis Grimes and O'Hanlon.I would argue only Grimes is a find given Psd players are taken after extra time.

Not a lot there imo very poor indeed . But it gets worse imo. we had 43 rookie picks in those 11 seasons. While its arguable the only players we found who had not already been in the afl sysyem were. King a mature recruit, Nahas mature recruit , Short, Castagna, Lambert mature recruit and Soldo.

Lets just be plain honest. lets at least acknowledge the numbers and they scream out mediocrity.
Yes it is to be expected that clubs will get their fair share of higher picks right,and Jackson has,  it is acknowledged by most though that the good recruiters have a good hit ratio with lower and rookie picks.

Just when you thought it was bad and could not get any worse take a look at the mature recruits we bought to the club thru trade f/a nd rookie picks etc  in Jacksons 11 yr tenure.
In fairness i dont blame Jackson for the majority of mature players we have bought to the club but as head of recruitment he must have had a fair say about each player heres the list.

Kingsley, Morton, Cartledge, Howat, Knobel, P Bowden, Humm, King,Hislop, Thompson, Cousins, Farmer, Polak, Derickx, Grigg, Miller, Nahas, Houli,A Maric, I Maric, Morris, Chaplin, Knights, Edwards, Petterd, Lonergan, Stephenson, Lloyd, Hampson, Banfield, Thomas, Miles, Hunt, Lambert, Arnot, Yarran, A Moore, Townsend, Broad,

Thats 39 mature recruits and you would be lucky to find 10 good players or 10 who made a decent contribution .

People say fj is mostlyresponsible for the players who played in the premierships but that by itself is an amazingly blinkerd and skewed way to look at it no wonder it took 13 yrs to achieve anything.

Ah well i suppose im wasting my time tiger supporters are among the leaders in the comp when it comes to revisionism.

At the end of the day all recruitment teams have busts.The problem is tho you fail to acknowledge that he recruited 80% of this side that won 3 flags the facts don't lie.3 flags in 13 years is excellent.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2021, 12:26:14 AM »
Winning premierships papers over cracks - the claw