Author Topic: Matthew Parker to leave Richmond & return to WA for family reasons [merged]  (Read 33877 times)

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: MSD pick 10. Matthew Parker
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2021, 11:55:46 AM »
I like this pick.
  • Athletic
  • Dynamic
  • Mature
  • Has a mate/mentor at the club already
  • Knows it's his last chance
  • Aggression
  • Swagger
  • Fits our profile
  • Ready day 1
Where is the downside?

Downside = was an absolute wanker at Saints and subsequently delisted despite clear talent.

Had a big head, very full of himself.

I hope he's grown a bit and realised that a poor attitude can cost you a career. Last chance saloon!

Have you got knowledge about that or just reading things ?.Many saints fan's saying that's  BS  he was loved by the club and fan's.

Nope as I said in an earlier post, just the hearsay.

You do have to wonder though. It would make sense. You draft a kid, he kicks 16 goals in 17 games in his first season, falls out of favour behind Butler in 2020 and his contract is never extended.

So he showed he had talent in his debut year. If he was liked and respected by the club why would they drop him after two years? I'm sure he was a fan favourite but if you connect the dots it makes plenty of sense that there's a personality issue from the club's perspective.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2021, 12:29:56 PM »
RICHMOND "POPPED UP OUT OF NOWHERE" TO SNARE EX-SAINT

By Alex Zaia
SEN
3 June 2021

Matthew Parker wasn’t expecting reigning premiers Richmond to throw him an AFL lifeline in the mid-season draft.

Delisted by St Kilda late last year, Parker now calls Punt Road home after the Tigers snapped up the South Fremantle forward with pick No.10 in Wednesday night’s draft.

“They spoke to me once, but it was brief. It wasn’t too much,” Parker told Sportsday WA.

“I wasn’t expecting too much leading into it so I’m pretty pumped and surprised.

“There wasn’t much talk … no clubs approached me. It was pretty low key and they (Richmond) just popped up out of nowhere. It was great.”

Parker says he returned to South Fremantle with a point to prove after he was let go by the Saints.

The 25-year-old kicked four goals and collected 26 disposals against West Coast reserves last week and recently represented the WAFL in a state game against the SANFL, kicking two goals.

“I took it (St Kilda delisting) on the chin,” Parker said.

“Came back to Souths with a chip on my shoulder and let my footy do the talking. It’s been a pretty good year so far, now it’s time to do the hard yards even more.”

Parker will reunite with close friend and former South Fremantle star Marlion Pickett at Punt Road.

Pickett, a mid-season draft selection in 2019, made his Richmond debut in the Grand Final win over GWS that same year and is now a two-time premiership player.

“It (mid-season draft) can change people’s lives,” Parker said.

“You look at Marlion for instance, he’s already got two flags and it’s just changed his life because of the mid-season draft.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/06/03/richmond-popped-up-out-of-nowhere-to-snare-ex-saint/

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2021, 01:42:28 PM »
Expecting he will be great mates with Stack.  :rollin
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2021, 01:54:34 PM »
These mid season draft picks are a free hit essentially. If he works out great you’ve gotten a player in on minimum coin without having to a trade a player for him or give up any decent draft pick. If it doesn’t work out you delist him and all you’ve lost is minimum salary payments and a mid season draft pick where the vast majority of selections likely won’t make it.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2021, 04:41:40 PM »
A bit of a left of field thought but did we recruit Parker because he is of a similar type to Jacob Townsend v.2017?

Would be a handy match-up on a Tom Stewart or Jake Lever who both want to peel off and play as a loose intercepting defender. Against Melbourne and Geelong they both had the better of us playing on one of our small forwards rather than a midsized Tiger who could match-up on them physically and make them accountable in the air and at ground level.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2021, 04:43:48 PM »
A bit of a left of field thought but did we recruit Parker because he is of a similar type to Jacob Townsend v.2017?

Would be a handy match-up on a Tom Stewart or Jake Lever who both want to peel off and play as a loose intercepting defender. Against Melbourne and Geelong they both had the better of us playing on one of our small forwards rather than a midsized Tiger who could match-up on them physically and make them accountable in the air and at ground level.

I like this thinking. Alot. 

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2021, 05:10:11 PM »

Spot on there.We put the clamps on Stewart in the gf and got the game our way to I can't remember who did the job that day.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2021, 05:20:10 PM »

Spot on there.We put the clamps on Stewart in the gf and got the game our way to I can't remember who did the job that day.
Was it Kmac? I know he was sent back after Floss was knocked out.

Astbury - Hawkins
Grimes - Rohan
Broad - Danger
Balta in the ruck
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2021, 06:23:33 PM »
Wish him the best as he is a Tiger now

But remember when he played for the Saints I thought he tried to do too much too often, so didn't rate him

Play within your limitations young man and you'll be fine
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2021, 10:44:57 PM »

I’d have preferred to just get Towner back over this guy
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2021, 11:05:17 PM »
"I'd love to hear the Tiger Army roar." Raising hands

Hear from our newest Tiger, Matty Parker.

https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC/status/1400384404719996931

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2021, 08:33:24 AM »
Gotta love Towner. His purple patch in 2017 was something special. Also the most successful player to come out of gws!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2021, 01:39:25 PM »
Saint supporters' views:

He did go missing a fair bit at VFL level, didn't quite take that next step in his development but was very raw from the get-go. Didn't get many opportunities last year with Covid but was OK when he came in. Think he was very unlucky to be delisted.

Quote from: Ephemeral Hope
Good player just not consistent enough and got squeezed out by covid cuts. Highlights package make him look like a super star. Would bob up for a highlight then not touch the ball for 3 quarters. Really liked his potential. Hope he kills it for you guys

Quote from: hayes
Out of contract at the wrong time mostly. Was a strange delisting after his 2019 season. He’ll fit right in at the Tigers IMO.

Quote from: Munga
Same reason we let Hickey go for Hannebery and Hind go for nothing, we like seeing quality walk out the door to be charitable to the opposition. Parker has the tools. We put a lot of training into these guys to play any other position than what they're good at. So thank us later.

Quote from: LeonardHayes87
Good on him. Hope he knuckles down and makes the most of the second chance after he said he’d take his first with both hands. Apparently made a tool of himself during his second year with us.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/mid-season-draft-2021.1261990/page-90#post-70386723