Author Topic: Hardwick should consider leaving Richmond: David King (Fox)  (Read 4191 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
David King last night on Fox Footy's 'First Crack' show went on about whether it was time for Dimma to leave Richmond and go to another club such as Carlton or Collingwood  ::).

'You don't last long as coach at one club. Don Pyke and Nathan Buckley are gone after playing in Grand Finals. Even Alastair Clarkson, who we consider to be the greatest coach of his era, is leaving/pushing out of Hawthorn.

'It's been 10 years and maybe he won't be able to get any more out of this group ...'

'Maybe Dimma wants a change ...'

'Given the friction that's around him and the club ...'

'You don't know that the era is over when you're in it.'

'Dimma could become a career coach and finish with 8 flags from coaching 5 clubs.'

Leigh Montagna reckoned it was a good idea.

Tom Morris added that if in 12 months time Richmond is in this same situation then maybe it will be looked at.

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
Re: Hardwick should consider leaving Richmond: David King (Fox)
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 06:31:07 AM »
Interesting, maybe we make a play for Clarkson??

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 06:31:51 AM »
Interesting, first thoughts are no… but maybe we make a play for Clarkson??

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 08:19:52 AM »
didnt take long for this stuff to start coming out

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2021, 09:00:10 AM »
They’re all flogs.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2021, 09:56:27 AM »
What is Hardwick going to do?

Restart at another club and rebuild the list?

Or stay at Richmond and rebuild the list??

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2021, 10:12:38 AM »
Stay at home and rebuild his family?

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2021, 10:40:17 AM »
King talking garbage like harping on how to stop Dusty or tigers that trio of Morris and Joey utter garbage.

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2021, 11:43:06 AM »
These guys are oxygen thieves.  Pay them no attention.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2021, 12:04:03 PM »
Man it must be stressful to constantly have 180s in opinions. First it’s “all hail the dimmasty, Richmond immortal he can write his own contract” to now “he should leave”

David king also thought Essendon were going to finish top four in 2018 after their easy draw and making finals in 2017.

God I wish I got paid the $$$$$$$$ to make reactionary football opinions

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2021, 12:39:29 PM »
He won't be going anywhere just yet though wouldn't be surprised if he pulls the plug at the end of this current contract... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2021, 11:24:55 PM »
Here are David King's comments:

With Richmond’s premiership aspirations in 2021 all but over, North Melbourne premiership player David King has questioned whether coach Damien Hardwick should look for a new challenge at a rival club rather than eventually exit in the turbulent manner of some of his peers.

The Tigers went down to Geelong by 38 points on Sunday, leaving the reigning premiers half-a-game outside the top eight and locked among a group of four other teams competing for eighth spot on the ladder.

Speaking on Fox Footy’s First Crack, the state of the coaching landscape prompted King to put forward “a philosophical discussion without trying to sack anyone”.

“Damien Hardwick has been this club for a dozen years and been fantastic, absolutely bought success to a club that‘s been nowhere for 30 years and it’s been unbelievable what he’s been able to do,” he said.

“But I thought the same thing about Don Pyke when he was at Adelaide Crows taking them to a grand final, a couple of years later he’s gone. Nathan Buckley, they go to a grand final and a couple years later he’s gone. Alastair Clarkson right now after four premierships with one club.

“I wonder whether Damien Hardwick sits back and says, ‘Do I want to be in that situation, or do I make the decision that I’ve done enough with this group? I’ve been fantastic for the club, and they’ve been great for me’, but there’s a bit of tension around and we don’t need to go into it.

“Is it the time now for us to be mature as a fan base, to say ‘Okay, why can’t he go and coach somewhere else for another 10 years and reset, get the juices flowing again and have a fresh start, go again at a Carlton or Collingwood or wherever?’ Clubs would come from everywhere to get hold of Damien Hardwick.”

The career coach approach, King said, could allow Hardwick to coach well into the future and challenge himself at other clubs, rather than be tied down to the Tigers for years to come.

“What happens if in 20 years time we look back and say he coached five times and won eight flags and was fantastic?”, King said.

“I think that that’s a realistic and viable option for Damien if he wanted to do that, and I think we can handle that.”

While co-panellist Leigh Montagna agreed with the idea personally, he wasn’t convinced the industry as a whole would be able to stomach the change in tact from a senior coach.

“I don’t think as an industry we’re mature enough - we seem to align our coaches to clubs. I’m with you, you look at every other sport around the world and all the great coaches move around from club to club, they carry success with them,” he said.

“It’s got some merit, but I don’t think it will happen. I think that the coaches and the fans we still have that tribal loyalty about us and we want to keep the coach at the same club, but I think it is something that we should be OK with.”

Hardwick has three years to run on his current deal at the Tigers, having taken over as senior coach in 2010.

Regardless, King said a decision from Hardwick himself was greater than any monetary value or contract clause.

“It’s not about the money, it’s not even about the deal,” he said.

“If he walks in and says ‘We’ve been good for each other. I think it’s time’, there’s no other conversation.

“I just wonder whether in the current model which we say fall apart so quickly, with the names we just mentioned, whether it’s worth talking about.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-injury-list-news-2021-casualty-ward-after-round-19-injuries-videos-latest-news-scott-pendlebury-nat-fyfe/news-story/ee3550a12660b004051ef1870d45d0a4?recommendedCount=0

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2021, 06:12:16 AM »
Matthew Lloyd was pushing this as well on Footy Classified last night saying 10 years at one club is a long time.

He must have forgot Sheedy coached his beloved Bombers for 27 years with gaps of 7 and 8 years between premierships  ::).

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2021, 07:23:15 AM »
Just another so called "expert" that have no idea, and need to justify their wage.

I recall my 7  year old child a few years ago when I most likely last watched that stupid show, say to me why do they say the same thing over and over again. :lol

IMO Dunstall and perhaps Nick R are the only professionals that are worth listening to.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2021, 07:34:17 AM »
No effing idea why some turd started this bollocks.

Club stuck by Dimma after the 2016 flop.

Any chance they'll ask him to move on after 3 flags because we might miss the finals after the sheer volume of untimely injuries and Shocking doing everything he can to pork our chances?

No bloody way.

Stupid, stupid, stupid talk.

Just need to make sure we time our run with recruiting/drafting. Just don't do a Hawkthorn/Clarkson and dig yourself deeper with crap trades.

Do we bring in players that can help us win 1 more flag if we think the list is still good? I reckon we have 1 more chance in 2022 but need to make sure we don't sell the farm to bring in the right people.