Author Topic: List Decisions 2022  (Read 16009 times)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
List Decisions 2022
« on: August 13, 2021, 11:25:21 PM »
There is a few players who have developed well namely Dan Rioli, Stack and to an extent CCJ. A few haven't and a few backwards with age.

Who do we expect not to be on the list next year, unsure how contracts play a role. But the following I can see not being with us to refresh the list.

Mabiot Chol - free agent, can't see him staying bring 4th ruck.
J.Caddy - Wasting away
M.Pickett - Nearly 30 probably out of best 22.
M.Parker - Prob hasn't done enough and finishing 11th better to look at a kid.
P.Naish - Unsure. 23 Next year, playing well in 2nds just unsure where he's at.
B.Houli - Injury prone and getting on.
D.Astbury - Also pretty injury prone, 31 next year.
Garthwaite - same as Nash.
Aarts/Castagna - Clearly both rated highly with so many chances and absolutely 0 pressure on his spot by other players. Probabky stays but needs a big improvement.

S.Edwards, T.Cotchin - on the decline of we are honest, maybe have a role up forward. Maybe not.

I'm sure others know more about contracts and who can't be moved on etc. But anyone else in trouble for next year.
Go Tigers!

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: List Decisions 2022
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2021, 11:30:23 PM »
Just listened to Dimma's presser he was asked about Houli

It appears Bachar was on the wireless saying he definitely wants to play on in 2022

Dimma was asked about that. Dimma was very non committal. Stock standard "we will work through that with
Bachar and his manage" etc
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 11:46:52 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2021, 11:44:24 PM »
Houli going around again would be ridiculous....  :help
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2021, 03:03:10 AM »
Dimma discussing our older players and responding to the question about whether we'll start spreading out retirements so they don't all occur at once.

"We've seen it occur at other clubs already this year. I'm sure it will happen at our club whether it is this year or next year and work our way through it. You realise these are delicate matters. We'll work through this with players and their managers. These guys have been outstanding players for us. We'll give them every right to play on next year where we can but also make the right decision for the club."

5:45 min mark: https://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/999796/round-22-hardwick-post-match

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2021, 01:29:08 PM »
Dimma discussing our older players and responding to the question about whether we'll start spreading out retirements so they don't all occur at once.

"We've seen it occur at other clubs already this year. I'm sure it will happen at our club whether it is this year or next year and work our way through it. You realise these are delicate matters. We'll work through this with players and their managers. These guys have been outstanding players for us. We'll give them every right to play on next year where we can but also make the right decision for the club."

5:45 min mark: https://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/999796/round-22-hardwick-post-match

Some tough meetings coming up I reckon.

As there needs to be

Also a couple of easy calls too.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2021, 01:37:31 PM »
THE TRADE PERIOD

With their finals hopes essentially shot, the Tigers now face a series of crucial list management decisions.

Those calls, according to triple All-Australian Nick Dal Santo, will essentially determine the club’s short and long-term destiny.

“I think we’ll get a clearer picture on where they think they’re at – or we definitely will have a clearer picture – on decisions they make in the next fortnight and when their season’s over and then ultimately through the trade period,” Dal Santo told Fox Footy’s First Crack.

“If they think that they’re going again, all those senior players that we’ve touched on that you might be thinking are 50-50, like a Bachar (Houli), you’re keeping them, because clearly they’re going to make your team better for the next 12 months.

“Are they in the best interest for the long term? Probably not, because you miss out on that development with the young group.”

Prior to Round 22, the Tigers held the following selections at this year’s national draft: 9, 16, 27, 28, 42, 46. The last time the club had such a juicy draft hand like that was in 2004 when they took Brett Deledio, Richard Tambling, Danny Meyer, Adam Pattison and Dean Polo with their five top-20 picks.

Herald Sun journalist Jon Ralph reported on Fox Footy on Friday night the Tigers were more likely to “go to the draft” with that “amazing arsenal” of picks this year, instead of trading aggressively to acquire gun players from rival clubs. This is backed up by senior foxfooty.com.au writer Tom Morris’ report earlier this week, which indicated the Tigers were no longer in the hunt for Fremantle midfielder Adam Cerra.

But if the Tigers are to bring in an array of younger players at this year’s draft, they can’t offer several players new contracts.

The big talking point on Friday night was veteran defender Bachar Houli, who’s “100 per cent sure” he wants to play on next year but coach Damien Hardwick remained tight-lipped about the triple premiership player’s contract situation post-game.

Fellow defender David Astbury, as well as Kamdyn McIntosh, are also unrestricted free agents at season’s end – McIntosh is reportedly closing in on a new Tigers deal – while Mabior Chol and Daniel Rioli are both out of contract at the end of this year. Chol has reportedly been attracting interest from rival clubs.

Dixon said the Tigers had some hard decisions to make.

“You’ve got to move some of those guys on, because if you don’t move them on and you buy another year, you (cost) yourself another year of development, which is not where you want to be,” he said.

“So I think you can clean some out. They sharpen themselves up and they come back to where they know.”

Riewoldt added: “With your senior players, you’ve got to drip them out of the club. You don’t want them all leaving at the same time.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/richmond-tigers/afl-news-2021-richmond-trade-news-draft-picks-bachar-houli-contract-damien-hardwick-press-conference/news-story/6c53f19924309b59e8f8a12dc9b8c945

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2021, 07:13:52 AM »
TIGERS TIPPED TO TRADE EARLY PICK FOR READY-MADE PLAYER

North Melbourne great David King believes Richmond will trade away one if its early picks in this year’s draft for a ready-made player.

Friday night’s defeat to the Giants marked Richmond’s seventh loss from its last nine games, with the reigning back-to-back premiers now on the verge of missing finals.

But armed with a healthy draft hand including two first-round picks and two second rounders, the Tigers can reload with young talent and use their currency to target rival players.

“They’ll have some off-season acquisitions that will be of quality,” King said on Fox Footy’s Saturday Countdown.

“I think they’ll trade one of them (their picks).”

Hawthorn legend Dermott Brereton believes Richmond can “bounce” next year if they recruit experienced players in the off-season to provide a spark.

“(They’ll need to recruit) Somebody who’s good to go straight away who can give them some energising some way,” he said.

Richmond is one of several clubs that have been linked to Fremantle young gun Adam Cerra. But foxfooty.com.au senior reporter Tom Morris revealed that Cerra’s decision is now down to two clubs: the Dockers and Blues – thus ruling out the Tigers.

In what rules as a key off-season, Richmond have several players coming out of contract including Bachar Houli, Callum-Coleman Jones, Daniel Rioli, David Astbury, Ivan Soldo, Jason Castagna, Kamdyn McIntosh, Liam Baker, Mabior Chol, Patrick Naish, Ryan Garthwaite and Sydney Stack.

Both King and Brereton expect the Tigers to move on Houli to open up opportunities for younger players.

“They’ll allow some of these kids to take that role,” King said.

Amid a widespread of injuries to key players, King added that he doesn’t think Richmond’s struggles in 2021 have been purely personnel related and believes they can bounce back in 2022 if Damien Hardwick tinkers with their game plan.

“They‘re going to have to look at the way they play, because teams now know that if you do X, Y and Z against them that there’s a mode to beating them now,” the dual premiership Kangaroo said.

“So the challenge now is for Damien to reinvent (them).”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-news-2021-round-22-analysis-talking-points-reaction-ladder-top-stories-tasmania-expansion-myth-alastair-clarkson-finals/news-story/f55d57033f3e78a1e0e42c585e127ac7

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2021, 07:42:16 AM »
Bachar Houli - delist
Callum-Coleman Jones - resign
Daniel Rioli - resign
David Astbury - delist or resign for 1 year on low money for KPD depth only
Ivan Soldo - resign on lowish money
Jason Castagna - trade or resign on lowish money
Kamdyn McIntosh - resign on lowish money
Liam Baker - priority resigning
Mabior Chol - delist
Patrick Naish - delist
Ryan Garthwaite - delist
Sydney Stack - priority resigning

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2021, 08:16:08 AM »
Bachar Houli - delist
Daniel Rioli - resign
Mabior Chol - delist
Patrick Naish - delist
Ryan Garthwaite - delist

agree with most. Add garthwait to the list.

he is average.

If someone like naish gets another year at the expense of someone like CCJ then the club should be held to account by the media, and rightly so.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2021, 09:47:25 AM »
Bachar Houli - delist
Daniel Rioli - resign
Mabior Chol - delist
Patrick Naish - delist
Ryan Garthwaite - delist
Cumberland is uncontracted so he might be delisted as well.

Aarts and Eggy delisted as rookies.

Caddy and Ross are contracted but if they can't get a senior game in a side that has won just 2 of its last 9 games then they may be traded or they themselves may be looking for a trade to get more gametime elsewhere.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2021, 10:03:14 AM »
I'd keep Cumberland for a year.

Aarts and Egg > delist.

Caddy trade.

Ross trade or put on 5kg and play inside for a year, then delist if he's still crap.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2021, 11:43:43 AM »
reckon you could make a strong case for 15 to go

Houli retire. With Stack, Mansell, Rioli, along with Vlastuin and Broad. there just is no longer a need for his services. Playing him will stall the development of players.

DES delist. Another HBF with Rioli going back there he has lost any chance of getting a game.  is not required we have too many hbf as it is.would look to find another mid for his spot on the list.

Short trade.  reckon he has had a very poor season and for mine he is just too outside and soft. Again im asking is he needed with the list of players already mentioned at hb.Would probably get us a good pick. His kicking is so over rated.

Castagna delist. i say delist because i just can not see any other club wanting such a poorly skilled player.

Aarts delist. hes a good vfl player but an ordinary Afl player.

Naish delist. As soft as they come.

Garthwaite delist. For me he is not KPD size and does not have the attributes to play third tall like Broad or Grimes.

Chol trade/delist. CCJ, Colina, Ryan,Soldo, Nankervis all say hello. Let him go and tease some other club.

Caddy trade/delist. We cant find a spot for him now but he may offer something to another club.Has always been a failure to me because we wanted a big inside player and never got it having to find other roles for him to perform.

Edwards retire. Some won't like this but he more than any of our seniors looks shot.We really need to get games into some of our young mids and keeping 33 yr olds means we fail to get  those games into them. Perhaps he could be retained to play as a small fwd.

Others im asking questions about

McIntosh his skills leave so much to be desired and quite frankly im sick of the constant fumbling that seems to inflict him for periods.How hard would it be to find a hard running winger with better skills. Our over all skills are a problem that needs addressing.

Parker Skills again he has a dip but there is more to the game than having a dip. our skills are a problem and we need to find better to improve.

Miller if we could not give him a game this year then im asking when ??

RCD We have been mostly belted all year at clearances and contested ball im still not sure he is the real deal.
Martyn. Like collier dawkins we needed inside mids and they just have not seen fit to play him you have to wonder if they think he is not good enough they clearly think hes not ready.

Reckon we dont have a say in keeping Astbury. Go out and get another KPD and take a quality  one in the draft keeping Astbury for cover for now.

Riewoldt well its a similar situation to Astbury keep him for depth or even third tall but we must target a few genuine key forwards preferably a mature one thru f/a and a quality young one in the draft.

The other serious need is for a high quality inside/out bigger bodied mid or two. Definately could do with a beast who feeds it out to the likes of Martin and Bolton.

Thats it reckon this year we could cut 7 or 8 go hard in the draft and try to address some needs with f/a or cheap trades.Reckon we need to start looking at getting games into the likely kids and it may come at the expense of a few of the older players.

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2021, 12:55:35 PM »
I'd keep Cumberland for a year.

Aarts and Egg > delist.

Caddy trade.

Ross trade or put on 5kg and play inside for a year, then delist if he's still crap.

It will depend on how many draft selections we will use. Should players around the mark with our 5th selection be considered better prospects than Cumberland, it's see ya later.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2021, 01:15:33 PM »
Think Parker will go round for a while like Petterd, Brad miller etc. We tend to hang onto poorly skilled players who have played for other clubs. Really unsure why.

Having said that his form hasn't been bad. He's just got atrocious skills and it stands out the more we slide, same with Castagna and Aarts. Can carry them when we are flying but stuff they look bad when the entire club is battling
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2021, 01:27:54 PM »
TIGERS TIPPED TO TRADE EARLY PICK FOR READY-MADE PLAYER

North Melbourne great David King believes Richmond will trade away one if its early picks in this year’s draft for a ready-made player.

Friday night’s defeat to the Giants marked Richmond’s seventh loss from its last nine games, with the reigning back-to-back premiers now on the verge of missing finals.

But armed with a healthy draft hand including two first-round picks and two second rounders, the Tigers can reload with young talent and use their currency to target rival players.

“They’ll have some off-season acquisitions that will be of quality,” King said on Fox Footy’s Saturday Countdown.

“I think they’ll trade one of them (their picks).”

Hawthorn legend Dermott Brereton believes Richmond can “bounce” next year if they recruit experienced players in the off-season to provide a spark.

“(They’ll need to recruit) Somebody who’s good to go straight away who can give them some energising some way,” he said.

Richmond is one of several clubs that have been linked to Fremantle young gun Adam Cerra. But foxfooty.com.au senior reporter Tom Morris revealed that Cerra’s decision is now down to two clubs: the Dockers and Blues – thus ruling out the Tigers.

In what rules as a key off-season, Richmond have several players coming out of contract including Bachar Houli, Callum-Coleman Jones, Daniel Rioli, David Astbury, Ivan Soldo, Jason Castagna, Kamdyn McIntosh, Liam Baker, Mabior Chol, Patrick Naish, Ryan Garthwaite and Sydney Stack.

Both King and Brereton expect the Tigers to move on Houli to open up opportunities for younger players.

“They’ll allow some of these kids to take that role,” King said.

Amid a widespread of injuries to key players, King added that he doesn’t think Richmond’s struggles in 2021 have been purely personnel related and believes they can bounce back in 2022 if Damien Hardwick tinkers with their game plan.

“They‘re going to have to look at the way they play, because teams now know that if you do X, Y and Z against them that there’s a mode to beating them now,” the dual premiership Kangaroo said.

“So the challenge now is for Damien to reinvent (them).”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-news-2021-round-22-analysis-talking-points-reaction-ladder-top-stories-tasmania-expansion-myth-alastair-clarkson-finals/news-story/f55d57033f3e78a1e0e42c585e127ac7

Unless it's Tom Green or Sam Taylor - NO trading early picks...so basically no trading early picks... :shh

Free Agents: The only one I'm still interested in (mildly) would be Billings but he's hardly going to address our clearance issues...Dunstan would but he's disposal & forward delivery is even worse than Parker's, so while he might help fix one issue he'd only exacerbate others..plus he's slow as treacle and basically just a slightly better version of Matt Thomas....if we're thinking about Mitchell -which I hope we aren't than surely Mitch Wallis would be a just as good but cheaper option, but again - too old...as for Talia...would be like replacing Astbury with...Astbury... better off  just grabbing Freeman , Josh Green & Schlesong from the state leagues.....Cowley from our academy...maybe rookie Lambert's kid... :shh :shh

EDIT: Though some of those Swans players that are supposedly "getable" sure are tempting...Stephenson, Florent, Dawson, Hewitt... :shh :shh :shh
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 01:50:57 PM by Diocletian »
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.