Author Topic: AFL Draft 2022  (Read 21102 times)

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: AFL Draft 2022
« Reply #270 on: November 30, 2022, 02:38:45 PM »
Scully was available with our first pick, it was lemmey and keeler who were taken just before us so we never got a chance with them.

I never have and probably never will follow the draft close enough to say we should have gone X and Y players over the ones we picked, especially for picks as late as the ones we had. Just from a list perspective they don’t seem to fill an obvious need like a key forward would have. It just goes back to drafting on talent over need, if those are the best players in the recruiters eyes available at our picks then so be it. Like someone said above there’s no point drafting players just because they are tall and have played forward in their junior careers.

In any case, good luck to the 2 boys selected - I hope they go on to have great careers at the RFC!

Point being made those talls were rated by other clubs to take before us we must have had em on the radar at around the picks we had.

Lemmy in particular had to be on our radar when still there at pick 40 did we not try a trade up.
Carlton certainly saw enough in him to take at 47 and Port saw enough in both Scully and Marshall to get em in their system at 53 and 59.

Of course with players taken so late their is risk as their is risk with the two picks we had.
If we are not prepared to take a punt on talls who have enough good attributes but may take a bit of time with late nd picks or rookie picks where the hell do we get em from.

I still think we take so many smalls because while a lot of em may only end up servicable they are less risk in you may get something out of them. When it comes to taking a chance on talls we are gun shy imo scared to get criticism if they don't work out.

Well hello with late picks regardless of size you will have more misses than hits.It should be expected.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #271 on: November 30, 2022, 03:47:16 PM »
Just remember all. Tigers draft in talent, we trade for need.

https://twitter.com/Tiger7192926603/status/1597700766403530752

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #272 on: November 30, 2022, 04:03:45 PM »
I'd like us to give Ethan Phillips a training spot for the remaining list spot.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #273 on: November 30, 2022, 04:22:05 PM »
Scully was available with our first pick, it was lemmey and keeler who were taken just before us so we never got a chance with them.

I never have and probably never will follow the draft close enough to say we should have gone X and Y players over the ones we picked, especially for picks as late as the ones we had. Just from a list perspective they don’t seem to fill an obvious need like a key forward would have. It just goes back to drafting on talent over need, if those are the best players in the recruiters eyes available at our picks then so be it. Like someone said above there’s no point drafting players just because they are tall and have played forward in their junior careers.

In any case, good luck to the 2 boys selected - I hope they go on to have great careers at the RFC!

Point being made those talls were rated by other clubs to take before us we must have had em on the radar at around the picks we had.

Lemmy in particular had to be on our radar when still there at pick 40 did we not try a trade up.
Carlton certainly saw enough in him to take at 47 and Port saw enough in both Scully and Marshall to get em in their system at 53 and 59.

Of course with players taken so late their is risk as their is risk with the two picks we had.
If we are not prepared to take a punt on talls who have enough good attributes but may take a bit of time with late nd picks or rookie picks where the hell do we get em from.

I still think we take so many smalls because while a lot of em may only end up servicable they are less risk in you may get something out of them. When it comes to taking a chance on talls we are gun shy imo scared to get criticism if they don't work out.

Well hello with late picks regardless of size you will have more misses than hits.It should be expected.

Yep Scully got drafted.

How much better or likely is our pick 49 kid going to be than we were so determined to take him instead?

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #274 on: November 30, 2022, 04:22:45 PM »
Just remember all. Tigers draft in talent, we trade for need.

https://twitter.com/Tiger7192926603/status/1597700766403530752

Could have traded a key forward in then haha.

I've been keen on that Foggarty since day dot and now he's been showing his potential the price will sky rocket. Bummer.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #275 on: November 30, 2022, 07:43:44 PM »
Sadly , I think out recruiters have missed the boat, big blokes take 2 to 3 years to develop at least and by not picking a KPF to develop we now will have no choice but to sell the farm to get a good on in the future.
No matter how good the kids we recruited are , most are  currently 3rd (at best )in line where the recruitment of a key forward was essential imo as insurance for probable injuries
Bad planning really as we should have a few already developing

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #276 on: November 30, 2022, 09:22:41 PM »
Sadly , I think out recruiters have missed the boat, big blokes take 2 to 3 years to develop at least and by not picking a KPF to develop we now will have no choice but to sell the farm to get a good on in the future.
No matter how good the kids we recruited are , most are  currently 3rd (at best )in line where the recruitment of a key forward was essential imo as insurance for probable injuries
Bad planning really as we should have a few already developing

Any key forward FA's coming up next year?

Anticipating Cotchin and Riewoldt retirement, maybe Tarrant, possibly even Grimes if soft tissues continue but hopefully not.

Obviously we won't have any real draft capital to trade.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #277 on: December 01, 2022, 10:26:02 PM »
Round 1 verdict: The draftees most likely to debut immediately at every AFL club in 2023

Ben Waterworth
Fox Sports
December 1st, 2022

RICHMOND

The Tigers pounced on a couple of WA-based sliders – and one of them has capability to play a role in the senior team if called upon early. Agile 179cm midfielder Steely Green played eight WAFL league matches – often an excellent grounding for the AFL level. It’s highly unlikely he’ll be in the Round 1 mix, but don’t be surprised if he gets an opportunity as early as the middle part of the 2023 season. Kaleb Smith, a speedy small defender-midfielder who’s been compared to Adam Saad, will take a bit more time to develop. If the Tigers cop a few injuries to their top key defenders, rookie acquisition Tylar Young – a 196cm, 92kg backman plucked from Richmond’s VFL program – might be ready to go.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/draft/afl-draft-2022-round-1-teams-2023-recruits-most-likely-to-debut-straight-away-at-every-club-analysis-latest-news/news-story/3446f3711f15bb482c2a486544368add