Author Topic: Hawks review into indigenous players treatment under Clarkson  (Read 9295 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Hawks review into indigenous players treatment under Clarkson
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2022, 11:23:31 AM »
Have done some more research and read a few more pieces on this by commentators I respect

Can now understand why Hawthorn didn't include Clarkson and Fagan in their internal review

But as part of the AFL's investigation they must ensure all parties are treated the same and fairly without any preconceived opinions.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 05:42:51 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2022, 04:34:22 PM »
Yep, Hawthorn was simply asking all their past indigenous players what, if anything, they could do better and all this came out. The right thing now is to urgently have a full investigation into this including interviewing all parties involved. If the investigation backs up the claims then heads should roll no matter who they are.

By the way, did the AFL really sit on this report for two weeks hoping it didn't come out until after the Grand Final? A disgrace if true.

ps. Eddie Betts on AFL360 last night was just heartbreaking. Still having to put with this sort of crap in 2022.

https://twitter.com/FOXFOOTY/status/1572529211356905473
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Broadsword

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2022, 05:19:17 PM »
I just wish someone would for once tell the truth. At the end of the day this will likely become a he said, she said ordeal and there will be no definitive judgement. Someone just come clean for once.

Person A: Person B told me to kill my unborn child.

Person B: I categorically deny telling Person A to kill their unborn child.

Here we go again. stuffing great.

(I should add, it's VERY hard to imagine a version of that conversation where there was any grey area. Aborting pregnancies doesn't strike me as a topic of conversation open to casual miscommunication.)

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2022, 10:15:32 PM »
I wonder how much the media is conflating this.

I wouldn't put it past an AFL club to *advise* a teenager or young 20's kid to consider not going through with a pregnancy but I struggle to imagine them directing someone to have an abortion flat out.

Still a lot of baggage to come out, yuck.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2022, 05:50:52 AM »
The AFL has put forward its independent panel for the investigation into claims of racism at Hawthorn, as CEO Gillon McLachlan flagged a process lasting months.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-news-2022-hawthorn-racism-investigation-gillon-mclachlan-interview-on-afl-360-alastair-clarkson-chris-fagan-probe/news-story/ce7cea97c5c190fbd37facb32430c6e7

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2022, 09:05:21 AM »

I wouldn't put it past an AFL club to *advise* a teenager or young 20's kid to consider not going through with a pregnancy but I struggle to imagine them directing someone to have an abortion flat out.

Yep entirely in the realms of possibility that the kid was in a relationship where he wasn't 100% happy and the club could see he wasn't reaching his potential and advised him of the options available

Still its a poo sandwich and in this pc world of witchhunts where everyone else is to blame there is going to be blood

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2022, 09:36:32 AM »
On Ch7 news last night they said that former RFC player Phil Egan was the author of the report commissioned by Hawthorn

He said that he had very narrow lines of investigation, hence why he did not speak to any other people (eg Clarkson/Fagan)
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2022, 10:43:51 AM »

Yep entirely in the realms of possibility that the kid was in a relationship where he wasn't 100% happy and the club could see he wasn't reaching his potential and advised him of the options available

Still its a poo sandwich and in this pc world of witchhunts where everyone else is to blame there is going to be blood

Yeah man.

We have 4 kids here. 2 are my step kids. 2 bio. Wife had all 4 before 30.

I'm sure if she had her time again she wouldn't have kids with her first husband at all. She was 21, he was 20, and they were both very immature and naive. Look now they are co-parenting together, it's difficult and awkward, and the kids are worse off for the complexity/blended circumstances with shared custody etc.

If one of my staff got pregnant at 18-21 I'd be telling them to think hard about it.

Heck one of my staff miscarried with her husband (she's 22) and hey presto he wants a divorce now after 6 months of marriage and 9 months of home ownership together. She's much better off for not having a kid with the jerk.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2022, 03:02:35 AM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2022, 12:39:26 PM »
The AFL has named the independent four-person panel which will be tasked with fully investigating racism allegations levelled against Hawthorn.

Bernard Quinn KC will head the panel and be joined experienced barristers Jacqualyn Turfrey, Julie Buxton and Tim Goodwin.

In a lengthy statement, the AFL said they were hoping to finalise the investigation by December, with the report and recommendations to be made public.

AFL General Counsel Andrew Dillon said it was vital that the panel worked independently of the AFL and included people with diverse backgrounds.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/10/05/afl-hoping-to-finalise-racism-report-by-end-of-2022-names-four-person-panel/

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2022, 01:41:13 PM »
The AFL has named the independent four-person panel which will be tasked with fully investigating racism allegations levelled against Hawthorn.

Bernard Quinn KC will head the panel and be joined experienced barristers Jacqualyn Turfrey, Julie Buxton and Tim Goodwin.

In a lengthy statement, the AFL said they were hoping to finalise the investigation by December, with the report and recommendations to be made public.

AFL General Counsel Andrew Dillon said it was vital that the panel worked independently of the AFL and included people with diverse backgrounds.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/10/05/afl-hoping-to-finalise-racism-report-by-end-of-2022-names-four-person-panel/

Honest question, are they all white fellas?

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2022, 02:05:35 PM »
Jacqualyn Turfrey is Aboriginal dont know about the rest

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2022, 02:06:42 PM »
So is Goodwin

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2022, 06:54:17 PM »
Lol

Two are “First Nations” people or whatever we say these days

And one of the other two is a human rights rep of the First Nations people

Clarko and Fagan would be thrilled  :lol :lol :lol

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2022, 09:21:31 PM »
Yep Damo quite an impressive lynch mob assembled