Author Topic: Can Richmond challenge again in 2023?  (Read 25245 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Can Richmond challenge again in 2023?
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2022, 06:01:27 PM »
SETTING THE WINS OVER/UNDER FOR THE 2022 AFL TOP 8 TEAMS

SEN
7 November 2022

Over/Under: 14.5

Richmond would have comfortably covered a 14.5 line in 2022 had they not lost the unlosable on multiple occasions. In the end, they shot themselves in the foot too often and it cost them.

They enter 2023 with a pair of gun midfield additions in Jacob Hopper and Tim Taranto and they will (hopefully) have a fit and firing Dustin Martin back in the mix. The Tiger era has stuttered in recent years, but it is by no means over.

If Richmond has a clean run at it next season, it’s hard imaging they don’t win more games than they did this year.

SEN.com.au consensus: Over

---------------------------------------------------

Over/Under    SEN consensus

Geelong        17.5             Under
Melbourne     16.5             Over
Brisbane       15.5             Under
Richmond     14.5             Over
Sydney         13.5             Over
Collingwood  13.5             Under
Fremantle     13.5             Over
W.Bulldogs    13.5             Under 

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/11/07/setting-the-wins-over-under-for-the-2022-afl-top-8-teams/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2022, 07:39:38 PM »
BRAD JOHNSON’S EARLY TOP SIX AND WHY HE CAN’T SEE RICHMOND MISSING

By Andrew Slevison
SEN
19 November 2022

Brad Johnson has made an early prediction on next year’s AFL top six.

The Western Bulldogs champion believes there are four clear-cut teams at the top of the rankings with a tight chasing pack right behind them.

Reigning premiers Geelong and runners-up Sydney are two of those teams alongside Preliminary Finalists Melbourne and Brisbane.

Finding room for the next two was a little bit tricky, Johnson admits.

“You look at the teams that played finals this year and we put four in there automatically - Geelong, Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney,” he said on SEN’s Sportsday.

“It’s tough to knock a couple out but ultimately it’s tough to get in and that’s why the competition the last couple of years has been awesome.

“We go as deep as 13 or 14 teams that can actually play finals footy.”

See Johnson’s early 2023 top six below:

Geelong
Brisbane
Melbourne
Sydney
Richmond
Western Bulldogs

Johnson has Carlton, Fremantle and Collingwood outside the top six but right on the brink.

One of the sides he believes will improve on last year and push into the top six is Richmond who recruited Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper from GWS this trade period.

Add to that a fit Dustin Martin and Johnson believes the Tigers are in good shape heading into 2023.

“When I was going through this, I was thinking how can I leave Richmond out of the top six,” he added.

“Because of the recruits that they’ve got and Dusty coming back and playing footy as well.

“13 wins last year, they finished seventh and they did (lose some close ones), but Shai Bolton went to a level that we absolutely loved, Dan Rioli off half-back, (Josh) Gibcus is one of their key defenders and a really smart, young player.

“I can’t see them not making the top six.”

The Tigers finished the 2022 home and away season in seventh position before losing their Elimination Final to the Lions by two points.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/11/18/johnsons-early-top-six-and-why-he-cant-see-richmond-missing/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2022, 07:25:39 PM »
THE PRESSURE GAUGE: RANKING ALL 18 AFL TEAMS HEADING INTO 2023

By Nic Negrepontis
SEN
14 December 2022

Tier 1: Contend or bust

Richmond

How many more bullets does this Richmond dynasty have left in their chamber?

They let 2022 slip through their fingers, with poor losses to the likes of North Melbourne and Gold Coast ultimately costing them finals positioning.

Tom Lynch looked the best key forward in the AFL when healthy, their backline was built around young talls who improved as the season went on and they have bolstered their midfield with Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper.

They’ll also be hoping for Dustin Martin to get somewhere near his best and help elevate them back among the best teams.

Richmond fans have their flags – but this is a team that should be right back in the mix in 2023 and questions could be asked of Damien Hardwick if things go south.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/12/14/the-pressure-gauge-ranking-all-18-afl-teams-heading-into-2023/

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2022, 02:21:25 PM »
Don't know if we should be excited or wary with all this positive predictions. I agree with the theme too, which also worries me, but the facts would point to a rise up the ladder in 2023. For me, the greatest indicator is depth. I look at our depth across the ground and it is strong in all but one position. Even with the KPF role, we have forward depth that would still prove dangerous to opposition defenses if we were without Tommy for an extended period.

Our backline and midfield depth is crucial. I love the competition for spots. To me, I am really excited how much more quick ball our forward will get from stoppages and contested ball. It's going to be a great year!!!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2022, 05:57:13 PM »
Welcome to footy journos during the off-season ...

Who is Geelong's number one challenger heading into the 2023 AFL season?

https://twitter.com/WhateleySEN/status/1605327667968233472

Carlton top of the ladder? And 5-1?

@RalphyHeraldSun has gone out on a limb with his predicted ladder after the first six rounds of 2023.

https://twitter.com/superfooty/status/1605411648206176256

Offline Jonesracing82

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2022, 11:48:05 PM »
Welcome to footy journos during the off-season ...

Who is Geelong's number one challenger heading into the 2023 AFL season?

https://twitter.com/WhateleySEN/status/1605327667968233472

Carlton top of the ladder? And 5-1?

@RalphyHeraldSun has gone out on a limb with his predicted ladder after the first six rounds of 2023.

https://twitter.com/superfooty/status/1605411648206176256
They can't even get it right during the season so how can they expect to be right now?

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2022, 02:21:22 AM »
I’m really scared about Carlton
But think we can definitely win the flag

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2022, 01:16:11 PM »
I think Carlton will flop again personally.

Guys like McGovern, Martin and Williams hogging way too much cap and not producing the goods.

They have the talent but not the culture or game plan.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2022, 01:45:02 PM »
Early AFL predictions for 2023

David Zita, Catherine Healey and Ben Waterworth
Fox Sports
December 22nd, 2022

Tigers jump into the four

Richmond was unlucky first round finals losers in 2022 after some late Joe Daniher heroics at the Gabba. But instead of dwelling on their earlier-than-hoped exit, the Tigers went to work and recruited GWS midfield duo Jacob Hopper and Tim Taranto. Their arrivals will ease pressure on veteran Trent Cotchin and allow looming star Shai Bolton to spend more time floating forward where he does his best work. The Tigers managed to sneak into the eight without superstar Dustin Martin for much of the year for personal reasons and injury, so just imagine how high they can climb with the three-time Norm Smith Medallist fit and firing. Jack Riewoldt is still producing while they’ve found youngsters in Noah Cumberland and Josh Gibcus. Even Judson Clarke showed promise. There’s plenty to like at Tigerland in 2023.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-predictions-for-2023-season-trade-news-rumours-kysaiah-pickett-contract-harley-reid-top-draft-prospects-finals-tips/news-story/8dd82fc41e203aa72df1d7f151399bf9

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2022, 05:12:09 PM »
Hmm it is christmas and in the christmas spirit  in response to the title. Not only will we challenge but we will win it if we get a decent run with imjuries especially to our talls.

Broadsword

« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2022, 07:19:21 PM »
Hmm it is christmas and in the christmas spirit  in response to the title. Not only will we challenge but we will win it if we get a decent run with imjuries especially to our talls.
My favourite ever claw post. Merry Christmas sir
 :gotigers

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2022, 09:32:10 AM »

Frankly, it’s hard to argue with this post.
My one caveat is that Balta turns up to this pre season fit and hungry. He was almost a liability this year - both being played all over the ground and being unfit which resulted in injury. Play him at full back, get him on those gorillas and build our defence around him.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2023, 01:53:24 PM »
Richmond Tigers get top four finish

The reinforced Tigers are set to avenge their 2022 first-round finals exit. Richmond will enter 2023 with former Giants' midfielders Jacob Hopper and Tim Tarantino, joining veteran Trent Cotchin and future star Shai Bolton.

Apart from the recruits, the Tigers will also be bolstered by the return of Dustin Martin, who missed significant time last season due to injury and personal reasons. With the three-time Norm Smith Medal winner back in the fold, Richmond looks like a great wager for 2023.

https://www.gloucesteradvocate.com.au/story/8042930/fearless-forecast-for-afl-2023/

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2023, 01:33:44 PM »
JADE RAWLINGS PREDICTS THE TOP EIGHT FOR SEASON 2023

By Lachlan Geleit
SEN
12 January 2023

Geelong

Richmond

“I think Richmond are the ones (that can challenge them).

“I’m a bit biased, I spent some time there and I’ve watched them a lot.

“But you bring (Jacob) Hopper and (Tim) Taranto there, they’re A-grade midfielders walking right in.

“I think Richmond are a team that can do some real damage this year.”

Collingwood

Melbourne

Sydney

Brisbane

Fremantle

Carlton

The other contenders:

“I think Port Adelaide are dangerous this year, they could potentially take a spot from Fremantle or Carlton.

“But I only see one coming in this year and that’s Carlton. That leaves the Western Bulldogs out, and I’m a Bulldogs fan but I just don’t know if they’ve got the resources to be where they were a couple of years ago.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/01/11/jade-rawlings-predicts-the-top-eight-for-season-2023/

PREMIERSHIP (Sportsbet odds)

$5.50 – (Geelong)
$7 – (Melbourne)
$8 – (Brisbane)
$8 – (Richmond)
$9- (Sydney)
$10 - (Carlton)
$10 - (Collingwood)
$13 – (Port Adelaide)
$15 – (Western Bulldogs)
$17 – (Fremantle)

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/01/12/early-2023-odds-for-afl-premiership-brownlow-rising-star-more/
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd