Author Topic: Can Richmond challenge again in 2023?  (Read 25085 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Can Richmond challenge again in 2023?
« on: October 05, 2022, 12:37:14 PM »
Matthew Lloyd has named the AFL teams he believes can and cannot win the premiership in 2023 at this very early stage.

Watch here: https://twitter.com/traderadio/status/1577471634197385223

Teams that can win the flag

Port Adelaide, Western Bulldogs, Richmond, Fremantle, Collingwood, Sydney, Melbourne, Geelong.

Teams that can’t win the flag

North Melbourne, West Coast, GWS, Essendon, Adelaide, Hawthorn, Gold Coast, St Kilda, Carlton.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/10/04/lloyds-eight-teams-that-can-win-the-flag-in-2023-and-why-the-afl-should-be/

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
Re: Can Richmond challenge again in 2023?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2022, 05:31:20 PM »
I’m a bit scared about Carlton coming from the clouds

stuff I hope they don’t

Bulldogs and Freo can’t win it

Broadsword

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2022, 05:37:17 PM »
Poor Brisbane. Not even worth a mention.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2022, 05:38:55 PM »

:rollin
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2022, 05:39:57 PM »

:lol :lol :lol

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2022, 08:12:10 PM »
I think Saints could win it, if Port can. They were top 4 halfway through last year and have had our measure.
Go Tigers!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2022, 12:43:52 PM »
2023 Premiership betting on us suspended?

https://www.sportsbet.com.au/betting/australian-rules/afl

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2022, 09:51:13 PM »
Predicting the top eight teams next season. Thoughts?

https://twitter.com/7AFL/status/1580137315623895041

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2022, 03:18:51 AM »

stuff I hope they don’t

They were very unlucky with injuries this year.
As much as I hate to say it they are well set up for next season.

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2022, 05:30:09 PM »

stuff I hope they don’t

They were very unlucky with injuries this year.
As much as I hate to say it they are well set up for next season.

Agree
Not a good thing

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Bartel labels Richmond a genuine threat after capture of Giants pair (SEN)
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2022, 03:15:19 PM »
BARTEL LABELS RICHMOND A ”GENUINE THREAT” AFTER CAPTURE OF GIANTS PAIR

By Andrew Slevison
SEN
21 October 2022

GWS director Jimmy Bartel believes the acquisition of two Giants midfielders will put Richmond firmly back into premiership contention next season.

The Tigers landed both Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper in the trade period to bolster their midfield which many feel was an area in which they needed to strengthen.

Damien Hardwick’s side fell short in this year’s finals series, losing by two points to Brisbane in a dramatic Elimination Final.

Richmond immediately addressed their need for further midfield quality in the aftermath of that loss and Bartel feels the addition of Taranto and Hopper will have them right in the mix in 2023.

“Next year they are a genuine threat again,” Bartel said on Sportsday.

“Do Hopper and Taranto put them back in the premiership window? Absolutely.

“Because you get a revitalised Dustin Martin. We know Shai Bolton has gone to another level, they just need Dion Prestia’s hamstrings to hold on because he’s an unbelievable two-way player. He runs hard from goal square to goal square, he defends, he uses the ball well.

“I think it puts them right in contention.”

Despite appearing well below his best in 2022, Dustin Martin still poses a threat, especially now that Taranto and Hooper have arrived.

Bartel was asked if the three-time Norm Smith Medallist can still have a significant impact on this group of Tigers.

“Absolutely,” Bartel replied.

“If he’s on the field, he draws that much attention. Even if he’s not at his absolute best, the attention that will be drawn to him allows guys like Bolton a lesser matchup, if you will.”

Geelong great Bartel is also a massive fan of Richmond’s forward line which was led by this year’s Jack Dyer Medal winner Tom Lynch and includes the likes of Bolton, veteran Jack Riewoldt and the emerging Noah Cumberland.

“Tom Lynch had his best season at AFL level, in my eyes, and it was extraordinary,” he said further.

“He was back taking contested marks, his marking went to another level. He averaged the most amount of contested marks, highest average goals per game, even more than the Coleman Medallist (Charlie Curnow), Tom Hawkins, Jeremy Cameron and Harry McKay.

“He was dominant when he was playing, he just missed a few games.

“And Bolton as well. He went from being the unbelievable highlight reel forward to the unbelievable highlight reel forward/midfielder. He ended up kicking 43 goals as both mid and forward.

“103 goals between them (Lynch and Riewoldt) and Lynch missed a number of games.

“They probably need another goalkicker though. Lynch kicked 63 (goals), Bolton 43 and Riewoldt 40, and the one that they did find to come along with them was Noah Cumberland.

“In the last half a dozen weeks, he kicked 19 goals and he’s a difficult matchup. He can actually take the goal square or play as the high half-forward or the third tall.

“So he might be the one that gives Jack some better matchups.”

Bartel predicted where the Tigers might finish in 2023.

“I’ve got them as a top-six side,” he said.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/10/20/bartel-labels-richmond-a-genuine-threat-after-capture-of-giants-pair/

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2022, 03:22:41 PM »
After all that, we’re top 6 Jimmy? Those splinter in your backside must be painful
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2022, 04:11:57 PM »
Every side’s flag window

David Zita
Fox Sports
October 31st, 2022

When it comes to the AFL world, few concepts are as divisive as the ‘premiership window’.

For several clubs, the exact timing and duration of an opening are incredibly hard to gauge, while for others, they are clear as day - for better or worse.

Below, foxfooty.com.au assesses where each club’s premiership window is at.

RICHMOND

Like Geelong, it won’t be a plunge off a cliff after 2023 and ‘24, but the reality is they will very likely be without Jack Riewoldt, Trent Cotchin, Dustin Martin, Robbie Tarrant and possibly Dylan Grimes once 2025 gets underway. With the additions of Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper, the Tigers are primed right now to get one more flag before more significant turnover begins.

Premiership window: 2023-2024

-----------------------------

Premiership Windows:

Collingwood 2023-24
Geelong       2023-24
Richmond    2023-24
Sydney        2023-24
Brisbane      2023-25
Port Adel.    2023-25
Carlton        2023-26
Melbourne   2023-26
W.Bulldogs  2023-27
GWS           2024-26
Fremantle    2024-27
Gold Coast   2024-28
St Kilda       2025-27
Essendon     2025-28
Hawthorn     2025-29
Adelaide      2026-28
North Melb.  2027-28
West Coast   2028-32

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-news-2022-premiership-window-for-every-club-predictions-for-next-season-list-analysis-all-clubs-ranked-2023-preview/news-story/b2a393c394b89d4a05899b78a22d9e39

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2022, 05:26:10 PM »
I think fox sports have the worst football analysis of all the main stream websites.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2022, 03:27:13 AM »
Pretenders or contenders: Early surge or slide verdict on every AFL club for 2023

Max Laughton and David Zita
Fox Sports
November 7th, 2022

THE FLAG CONTENDERS

Geelong, Sydney, Melbourne & Richmond.

Now for the climbers, starting with Richmond, who very clearly believe they’ve still got enough talent from their premiership era - and a couple of drafts - that it’s worth sacrificing a bit of their future for the present.

Damien Hardwick’s men didn’t lose a game by more than a goal after Round 6, and in fact only lost four home and away games from that point onwards - to Grand Finalists Sydney and Geelong, and bizarrely to Gold Coast and North Melbourne.

The latter two losses, combined with the draw against Fremantle, all saw the Tigers waste late chances to win; that forced them into an elimination final against Brisbane, which they lost in agonising fashion.

From an analytical perspective, close losses are coin flips, and so you could argue the Tigers simply had a lot of bad luck. They have tried to arrest that bad luck by fixing the one hole in their side, which they were able to work around for three flags but not in the last two seasons - the midfield.

The long-term contracts handed out to Jacob Hopper and Tim Taranto are risks in the same way any long-term contract is a risk, but they are both potential A-grade midfielders in the right age bracket. They allow Hardwick to no longer rely on the ailing bodies of Dion Prestia, Trent Cotchin and Dustin Martin; the trio of Hopper, Taranto and Shai Bolton can now be the equivalent.

Most will be tipping a Richmond surge back into the top four in 2023 and we see no reason to be the exceptions.

Full article: https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-news-2022-season-predictions-for-2023-finals-chances-for-every-club-next-season-improve-or-decline-top-eight-contenders/news-story/f55e81632c41e97e55c66245397b6756