Author Topic: Can Richmond challenge again in 2023?  (Read 25267 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Can Richmond challenge again in 2023?
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2023, 03:46:28 AM »
Josh Jenkins and Sam Hargreaves on SEN discussing Richmond.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKRYlKnUhbY&t=170s

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2023, 06:20:01 PM »
David King pumping up Melbourne based on their preseason training.

-------------------------------------------

After getting around to numerous clubs throughout the pre-season, King is especially liking what he’s seeing from the Demons.

“The competitiveness of the Melbourne footy club session (every session) at this time of year is panels in front of what I’ve seen from the rest,” the dual-premiership Kangaroo told SEN’s Dwayne’s World.

King added that he expects Melbourne and other clubs to adopt similar traits to last year’s premiers going forward.

Playing on quickly from a mark is the one game-style aspect he’s seen from every club across the pre-season.

“That’s the one thing that I am seeing across every club once you’ve won the ball back,” King said.

“Get the ball moving, don’t take that five or six seconds just standing there waiting for a pack to arrive down the wing.

“It’s almost like those days are gone now. Make a decision, pull the trigger. Whether it’s a 15 or 20-metre kick or a longer one, just make that call.

“All clubs are challenging their midfielders to provide an option on the way out and the high half forwards, they’ve been asked to do a hell of a lot of work in the match-sim we’ve seen so far.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/01/20/the-afl-club-that-is-panels-in-front-of-others-with-pre-season-intensity/

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2023, 04:25:32 PM »
Did David King say Essendon were going to win the flag this time last year?
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Jonesracing82

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2023, 12:12:40 AM »
Did David King say Essendon were going to win the flag this time last year?
If not it was top 4, same as every other yr.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2023, 07:29:40 PM »
WHY RICHMOND’S ADDITIONS WILL HELP TIGERS MAKE “TOP FOUR” PUSH IN 2023

By Lachlan Geleit
SEN
24 January 2023

Do Richmond’s new additions still have them firmly placed inside the premiership window?

Brownlow Medallist Adam Cooney thinks so after taking a close look at their 2023 playing squad.

While some of the stars that drove the 2017, ’19 and ’20 premiership wins are in their twilight years, the emergence of Shai Bolton plus the trade acquisitions of Jacob Hopper and Tim Taranto help balance the Tigers’ list.

After crashing out of the finals without a win in 2022, Cooney wouldn’t be surprised to see Richmond reclaim their place inside the top four and mount a charge for their fourth premiership in seven years.

Cooney’s SEN The Run Home co-host Josh Jenkins agreed stating that there’s more “left in the tank” at Punt Road as some veterans return to full fitness.

Cooney: “The Tigers look great on paper and I tend to agree (they’ll be strong in 2023).

“They’ve still got a very strong list and a few younger players taking that next step.”

Jenkins: “From the back end of last year, you’re going to add Dustin Martin, Jacob Hopper and Tim Taranto into that squad.

“(Dylan) Grimes didn’t finish the year healthy either, look out, there’s a bit left in the tank there.”

Cooney: “It could be top four for the Tigers if they hold it together.

“I think that if you have a look at their additions and their inclusions plus adding a fit Dusty into that (they’ll be better).

“I was at Punt Road watching them train for a couple of hours, he (Martin) looks as strong and as fit as ever."

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/01/23/why-richmonds-additions-will-help-tigers-make-top-four-push-in-2023/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2023, 01:05:33 PM »
Who's the most likely of last year's finalists to miss the 8️⃣ in 2023?

https://twitter.com/FootyonNine/status/1621297498018168832

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2023, 02:20:14 PM »
Collingwood

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2023, 05:56:22 PM »
Collingwood

outside of having dominant talls they are pretty strong everywhere else but i suppose lack a bit of depth in some areas a bit like us.

Backline consists of Maynard,  Quaynor a 1st rounder and starting to live up to it, Moore who would play in every team. Pendlebury who just keeps on keeping on.  #4 pick N Daicos and he has already shown why he went so early even if it was as a f/s.
They are hoping i think that Billy frampton can play kpd for them and they do have Howe if need be and a few promising younger defenders. so yeah as i said a bit light on for ready to go talls imo but look good in the other positions.

Midfield consists of  Cripps, De Goey, Mitchell, Adams, Lipinski, Sidebottom and of course if things aren't going well they can throw Pendlebury in their. I do like the look of McCrae as well as Draper. not a lot after these though.Again depth may get em but starting mids are pretty decent.

Forward line again lacking top end talls atm. I reckon Mihocek is underrated though and a very servicable key fwd. They bought in McStay who at least will give em a target and a contest fwd. They also got Krueger over from Geelong two seasons ago but he has injury issues. then theres Mason Cox as well nothing great about any of them but they can and do perform a role for them. They also have two or three younger tall fwds who have been around for a few years it would only take for one of them to step up.

Ginnivan, McCreery Elliot WHE , the one id be tempted to play fwd again in Howe. Plus they also got Hill from GWS.

They just made a preliminary final. Injuries will take a toll if they get em and they may well slide anyway but i have a feeling they will remain competetive.

Broadsword

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2023, 06:13:31 PM »
I've been wanting to answer this question for months.

The answer is "yeah"

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2023, 06:53:18 PM »
If we had Collingwoods list claw you would be a hell of a lot more critical then your comment above.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2023, 08:07:57 PM »
Collingwood

I’d suggest Bulldogs moreso

Will probably be two miss and Collingwood would be my second

Carlton WILL play finals footy

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2023, 02:48:37 PM »
Almost every year, one of the previous year's top 4 sides crash out and miss the finals while one side comes from nowhere to finish in the top 4. Last year, Port crashed out and Collingwood jumped up.

Pies had a soft draw and a number of close wins last year. So, if they don't get the same run they are a chance to crash straight out. The other one would be the Swans purely based on how others have fared the following year after being thrashed in the GF (GWS, Adelaide).

The rest will be dictated by injuries including us. IMO the Dogs are the most susceptible side to dropping out. They barely scraped in last year.

As far as coming in, Carlton (as much as I'd hate it) and Gold Coast. One of them is likely to finish top 4 based on past history  :o.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 01:07:07 PM by one-eyed »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2023, 12:47:10 PM »
Carlton had a soft draw IMO and lost out last l.
Although I do expect them to make finals this year.

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2023, 01:16:52 PM »
Pies can't possibly win all those close games.  I love Fly but will see how he goes when everything starts going the other way.  I've got money on pies missing the 8

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2023, 09:23:13 PM »
I see Freo dropping out.

They had a pretty soft draw last year
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)