Author Topic: Tigers sign Sam Naismith [Official]  (Read 8297 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers sign Sam Naismith [Official]
« on: October 30, 2023, 02:49:58 PM »
The Club is just waiting for Nov 1 when we can make it official.

TIGERS TO SIGN EX-SWAN

Ben Cotton, Ben Waterworth, Max Laughton, David Zita, Catherine Healey and Jono Baruch
Foxsports
30 October 2023

Former Sydney Swans ruckman Sam Naismith is reportedly set to be signed as a delisted free agent by Richmond.

Naismith was overlooked in the mid-season draft this year despite an impressive campaign for Port Melbourne, which followed 30 senior games over a decade at the Swans as injury wreaked havoc on his body.

The Herald Sun reports the Tigers will bring Naismith in as ruck cover for Toby Nankervis, with Ivan Soldo having left the club for Port Adelaide during the trade period.

Naismith, 31, was taken in the 2013 rookie draft by the Swans and was delisted in 2022.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2023-offseason-news-offseason-central-list-changes-delisted-players-retirements-confirmed-trades-draft-picks-draft-order-rookies-free-agents/news-story/a3eeb4a43e42a5dd4846a5e7c513501d
« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 02:21:40 PM by one-eyed »

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Re: Tigers to sign ex-Swan Sam Naismith (Foxsports)
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2023, 03:31:57 PM »
 :thumbsdown
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Tigers to sign ex-Swan Sam Naismith (Foxsports)
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2023, 11:07:11 PM »
Tigers set to pluck former Swan from the VFL

Jon Ralph
HeraldSun
30 October 2023

Richmond will hand former Sydney ruckman Sam Naismith a career lifeline by signing him as a delisted free agent as early as this week.

Naismith’s remarkable story of persistence will see him back on an AFL list after three knee reconstructions and only 30 games in his decade at Sydney.

The 31-year-old put together an excellent season at Port Melbourne but was overlooked in the mid-season draft despite clubs, including Geelong, closely scrutinising him as a back-up ruckman.

He averaged 31 hitouts and 10 hitouts-to-advantage in his season at Port Melbourne and can join the Tigers in the delisted free agency period which opens on Wednesday and runs to November 10.

The Tigers are also excited by the prospects of Ben Miller and Samson Ryan getting chances to ruck behind co-captain Toby Nankervis.

Naismith had 15 knee and shoulder surgeries across his Sydney career despite only 30 AFL games, having played his last AFL game in round 4, 2020 before being delisted at the end of 2022.

The 206cm big man was rookie-listed by Sydney in the 2013 draft and played in the 2016 Grand Final against the Western Bulldogs.

But amid continuing knee issues he also had personal heartbreak, losing sister Kristi to pancreatic cancer in 2020 during Covid.

He told Code Sports this year the move to Port Melbourne had rekindled his love of the game after his injury issues and family tragedy.

“I fell out of love with the game,” Naismith said.

“I haven’t enjoyed the game over the last couple of years. I didn’t go to ‘Buddy’s 1,000’, I watched it on the couch at home.

“There were a lot of Swans games I didn’t want to watch at all. I felt like I didn’t want to be around footy anymore.

Richmond is the perfect landing spot for Naismith given he will believe he has the opportunity to play regular senior football given the Tigers played both Nankervis and Soldo late in the season.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/news/afl-delisted-free-agency-period-richmond-to-sign-former-sydney-ruckman-sam-naismith/news-story/c4796a53b57b68aaf0db56dc8db0901d

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers sign Sam Naismith [Official]
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2023, 02:21:27 PM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Tigers sign Sam Naismith [Official]
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2023, 02:34:35 PM »
Naismith becomes a Tiger

By Richmond Media
1 November 2023

Richmond has signed former Sydney Swans ruckman Sam Naismith as a delisted free agent.

Naismith, 31, joins the Tigers following a consistent 2023 season with Port Melbourne in the VFL, where he averaged 14 disposals and 37 hitouts per game across 14 matches.

Prior to spending last season at the Borough, Naismith played 30 games for the Swans between 2013 and 2022, after originally being selected via the rookie draft at the end of 2012.

From mid-2016 to the end of 2017, the 205cm ruckman from Gunnedah featured regularly in the Swans' senior side, including the 2016 AFL Grand Final, before several knee injuries hampered his career.

Naismith said the second chance at an AFL club "means everything".

"I'm super excited. It was an opportunity that I didn't think was going to happen, and I think my last five years of working really hard to get back to this position is paying off now," he said.

"Everyone that has supported me over the last few years, it's been pretty tough times through that journey and this just validates everything that I've worked hard for during that time.

"The finish line is not done, I'm keen to attack pre-season and meet everyone and I just want to get a game."

The new Tiger credits his year at VFL level for reigniting his passion for the game.

"As soon as the season started, I was super keen to just get back on an AFL list and prove that I'm ready to get back," Naismith said.

"Once I stepped on the field and started playing, I just enjoyed the process. Finding the love for the game again through Port Melbourne, I had so much fun especially with the group there... When you're happy, you play your best footy, and I found solace in that.

"I've learnt a lot of stuff about my body and I'm in a position now where I know what works for me and I'm feeling fit and strong."

He will be reunited with fellow ruckman and former Sydney teammate Toby Nankervis, the pair having spent three seasons together between 2014 and 2016.

"I can't wait to play with Toby. I think we played some of our best footy together when we were in Sydney and I want to wind back the clock to those days," Naismith said.

"With Ivan (Soldo) going to Port Adelaide, there was an opportunity there. If there's a position to help the young guys develop... and to work with Toby again... to push each other and also the developing guys.

"I love tackling, I love hitting bodies, and protecting my teammates... Whatever the team needs, I want to do it."

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1459211

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2023, 02:38:41 PM »
Highlights:

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/1459668/welcome-sam-naismith

'Validates everything I've worked hard for' - Naismith
Sam Naismith speaks with Richmond Media after his first day at the club.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/1459671/validates-everything-ive-worked-hard-for-naismith

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2023, 03:32:26 PM »
Get Mannagh now with 41 and a youngster with 29. Job done

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2023, 06:38:32 PM »
Highlights:

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/1459668/welcome-sam-naismith

'Validates everything I've worked hard for' - Naismith
Sam Naismith speaks with Richmond Media after his first day at the club.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/1459671/validates-everything-ive-worked-hard-for-naismith

He even looks a little like Soldo
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2023, 06:45:00 PM »
Naismith averaged 37 hitouts and 14 disposals across 14 appearances for the Borough in 2023 after joining from the Sydney Swans.

https://twitter.com/VFL/status/1719592987804774623

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2023, 09:35:05 PM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2023, 02:38:44 PM »
12 things about Sam Naismith

9. He has a football competition named after him – the Sam Naismith Cup – for secondary schools in north-west New South Wales.

10. His nickname is “Crayfish”, which was coined by former Sydney teammates Shane Biggs and Dean Towers because they thought it rhymed with Naismith.

12. He has a passion for pottery in his spare time.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1459852/12-things-about-sam-naismith

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2023, 02:39:57 PM »

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2023, 09:35:54 PM »
We were always going to take a mature ruckman on the cheap when Soldo left. Well they dont come much cheaper and he provides cover if Nankervis goes down and Ryan does not progress.

Feel for this bloke every time he started progressing he copped an injury. He did  look decent at times when fit.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2023, 09:07:26 PM »
Agreed Craw. Body sound and he’s the insurance we need
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2023, 06:58:25 PM »
Naismith lauded by Port Melbourne coach

Richmond ruck recruit Sam Naismith had a profound impact in just one season at VFL club Port Melbourne, both on and off the field.

The former Sydney ruckman, who joined Port Melbourne this year, impressed the Borough’s coach Adam Skrobalak with his attitude from the time he arrived at the club.

Skrobalak, an assistant coach with St Kilda before taking the coaching reins at Port, sang Naismith’s praises in the lead-up to the AFL’s mid-season rookie draft.

“He has come down here and just worked his butt off and shown he is definitely up to it, not just at stoppage but around the ground,” Skrobalak said.

“He’s been fantastic for us so far . . . he has really led the way as a leader.

“He’s very physical, tackles very, very hard.

“Any AFL club that sees his ability not only to win hit-outs and clearances, but to follow up and help your smalls, I think he can slot in no problem at all.”

Last week, when the Tigers secured Naismith’s services as a delisted free agent, Skrobalak again paid tribute to Naismith.

“Sam bought into Port Melbourne from day one,” Skrobalak said.

“Good things happen to good people.

“You have a ripper, Richmond.”

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1462533/naismith-lauded-by-port-melbourne-coach